The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The origin of facts > Comments

The origin of facts : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 20/2/2019

The Church is spurned by educated men and women because it is presented by Evangelicals as a collection of beliefs that, ironically, do not connect with our experience of the world.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
A friend has pointed out that my statement: "However, the early Church was doing theology long before a word of the bible had been written." is incorrect. Of course the early Church before the letters of Paul were being circulated had the Hebrew Scriptures. A very important point.
Posted by Sells, Wednesday, 20 February 2019 10:44:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The title, The origin of facts, for some, means owning their own! And as unsubstantial as an autumn mist that is burned off by the sun's actions and LIGHT!

Fact: there is not enough darkness (ignorance, superstition, fairy tales) in the entire world to extinguish the light of a single candle! Belief is nothing, knowing is everything. One is reminded of a story Sir Richard Brampton tells.

Reportedly he says, he invited a highly placed, Flat Earth Society, official, to a low orbit space flight, so that individual could have his fanatical, fundamental faith-based belief system tested by the incontrovertible facts. As seen with his own eyes as irrefutable evidence!

Anyhow, the official had a window seat and was glued to the view that swam up before his very own eyes.

Upon landing, Sir Richard enquired, well what do you believe now? Whereupon the official replied, [and here I paraphrase,] the special effects were incredibly good and the graphics simply superb.

Conclusion: Some folk will always own their own facts, even when all the evidence to the contrary, indubitably proves them wrong beyond question or massively mislead.

And therefore resist (EVEN LOOKING) change to the point of, dying in a ditch, before surrendering inculcated from birth, BS belief systems!

Time to accept real reformation and the return to the core principles and (unembellished by others) foundational fundamentals of the founder.

"Suffer little children, do unto others, inasmuch as you do to the least among you, you also do unto me, seek ye first the kingdom of heaven within and cast ye not, the first stone. And go from there forward.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 20 February 2019 11:59:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps a better place in Understanding the nature would be an analysis (deconstruction) of the mind that has created our "normal" dreadful sanity. The dreadful sanity that creates all of the usual self-serving "god" ideas.
http://www.beezone.com/thought_and_mind_is.html
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 20 February 2019 3:14:54 PM
and think to say that the church has failed is inaccurate. Your church has failed Sells. Why you need to include genuine people who hacve faith in Jesus Christ, His deat, buhrial and resurrection is nonsensical.

You write

'Most of us would agree with this sentence since we live in an age in which evidence rules'

of course you must be joking. This is an age of irrationality. We have babies born with penis's and academics deny their sex, we have pseudo science being used to shut down industries, we have 'scientist' who believe sheep farts cause gw, we have many uni graduates sold out for feminism/marxism. And I have not started on the unhinged swamp of pussy heads who continually have to lie about Trump due to hatred.

You seem to have more faith than I do. Fortunately faith the size of a mustard seed in Jesus Christ is far more rational and powerful than your faith in what you call 'reason'. It so often puzzles me why unbelievers spend their life attacking truth.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 20 February 2019 4:22:55 PM
Thank you runner fo proving absolutely and beyound any possible doubt, my case, for me!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 20 February 2019 5:13:37 PM
Sells,

If I were a student and you were teaching Theology 101 at your liberal Anglican theological college and you taught the content of this article, I’d be tempted to chuck in Christianity as a meaningless, fact-less faith. Maybe I’d continue as a student to be indoctrinated in your fake theology.

In 2017, ‘fake news’ was nominated as word of the year for the Collins Dictionary (2019. s.v. fake news), meaning ‘false, often sensational, information disseminated under the guise of news reporting’.

In ‘fake theology’ you have developed false, sensational information to try to destroy facts in the Bible – all in the name of ‘the origin of facts’ in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Are you daring to convince me that it is not factual that Columbus sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to the Americas in the 15th century because it was not declared a fact until Bacon, Locke and Hobbes?

Specifically, your article is not about the origin of facts but your attempt to philosophically do away with facts in early Christianity so you can peddle your liberal (neo-orthodox) brand of Christianity.

One example:

<<We have been trained in the methods of science and scepticism from our earliest science lesson and we know the difference between fact and fiction. I will argue that such understandings of what is true and what is not are as recent as the eighteenth century>>

This is a false statement that seems to be designed by you to circumvent the facts of early Christianity – facts of Jesus’ existence, His ministry on earth (including miracles), death, burial and resurrection. Did Jesus exist? Is His existence fact or fiction?

Your fake theology is designed to reinvent or deconstruct the meaning of facts to get rid of the factual events contained in Scripture and the early church.

Some Theology 101 student might fall for that one, but I won’t.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 21 February 2019 6:46:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy