The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abolishing the 'tampon tax' is a politically-motivated response to special pleading > Comments

Abolishing the 'tampon tax' is a politically-motivated response to special pleading : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 12/10/2018

One issue is that toilet paper is subject to GST despite being a hygiene product.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good health and good hygiene are two sides of the same coin. one can't have one without the other! Be it indigenous eyesight or our sexual health, i.e., STD's.

Therefore all hygiene products, including sneeze retaining, nose covering, surgical masks, ought to be tax-free to ensure that passed on tax cascading upwards from manufacturer to the user/client/customer, doesn't result in unnecessary, inadequate hygiene, be it at home, in shared hospital wards or overdriven, overloaded, overcrowded public transport.

The savings to our finite health budget sure to offset any foregone GST!
What's good for the goosey goosey goose is good for the goosey goosey gander!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 12 October 2018 10:15:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Finally, I ask the question, if men instead of women had periods and used tampons, would there have been all this political fuss, particularly from Labor and the Greens. My guess is "no".//

Indeed... if men had periods, they wouldn't have been taxed in the first place.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 12 October 2018 10:26:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good health and good hygiene
Alan B,
Any evidence on how the gay community manage the latter ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 12 October 2018 12:01:43 PM
'Indeed... if men had periods, they wouldn't have been taxed in the first place.'

Yeah Yeah Toni seen the amount of money spent on breast cancer compared to prostate cancer. Yep I am to lazy to look it up but am sure the ratio is massive in favour of the female. So good to pick something to have a tantrum about.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 October 2018 5:06:03 PM
Runner,

Do you mean the per capita amount spent on breast and prostrate cancer sufferers ? Perhaps it also depends on how expensive different treatments might be, and how long recovery might take ?

But don't let evidence get in the way of a satisfying prejudice :)

As for toilet paper, I'm surprised that nobody in your camp has demanded that men should have to pay less than women, since men have (and many are) bigger arseholes.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 13 October 2018 10:51:53 AM
Individual: No idea, but they should always practise safe sex and be extra scrupulous with personal hygiene. As should heterosexual couples who participate in either oral or annul or normal heterosexual sex!

Syphilis is spread almost exclusively by folk who routinely practice unsafe unprotected annul sex. Be they gay or straight, men or women. Simple rule. If it's not on? It's not on! I don't know about you but speaking personally, annul sex turns me right off, even with the world's most gorgeous women.

Whereas oral sex with the same does exactly the opposite. Knew some ladies in south-east Asia long-long ago, who could suck golf balls through a garden hose. Mind-blowing! And well worth the ten bucks a night for multiple episodes.

That said, it's none of my business or yours what adult consenting couples, do in the privacy of their own homes, to or for each other.

You should take care how you phrase your leading questions, lest we start to see you as just another gay basher on some sort of homophobic campaign/crusade.

You'll have a nice day now, y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 13 October 2018 10:53:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy