The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Preparing for death > Comments

Preparing for death : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 15/6/2018

We live in a time of crisis in meaning. Without a robust practice of faith we find ourselves in bondage to the primal fear: nonexistence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Well said Banjo.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 18 June 2018 9:26:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

Many indeed do refer to God as Love. They are one and the same, the only difference being looking at It from different angles.

How could it ever be possible to love someone who is completely and truly disjoint from us? Altruism could not have been possible other than due to the connection that we all deeply share: in essence I am God and so are you - recognising this to some degree or another is what allows love to flow!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 18 June 2018 11:00:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote :

« Many indeed do refer to God as Love. They are one and the same, … »

Well, that’s what some of the contributors to the bible wrote, Yuyutsu, and I suppose many people believe that if it’s written in the bible it must be true, but just how many they are, I really have no idea, Yuyutsu. Do you ?

One of the contributors, a certain “John” (who wrote the fourth gospel) was one of the most fervent promotors of the idea that “God is love”. However, it seems that there is a general consensus among scholars that the gospel of John is the least authoritative of the four.

The other three, the synoptic gospels (from the Greek “synoptikos”, meaning “giving an account of events from the same point of view”) do not corroborate much of the narrative of John. In particular, they do not “refer to God as love” (to cite your expression).

A number of fervent religious zealots have come up with some fairly fantastic ideas over the years. Some say God is love. Some say God is truth. Some say God is hope. Some say God is life. Some say God is light. There is no limit to their imagination. It just goes on and on.

I guess when it’s all boiled down, that’s exactly what they’re all doing : just guessing.

You then ask :

« How could it ever be possible to love someone who is completely and truly disjoint from us? »

Are you alluing to Aristophanes’ fantastical account of the origins of love in Plato’s Symposium ? :

« Love is born into every human being; it calls back the halves of our original nature together; it tries to make one out of two and heal the wound of human nature. Each of us, then, is a ‘matching half’ of a human whole…and each of us is always seeking the half that matches him »

If that’s the case, I agree. I have found my “other half” and we are one.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 9:33:13 AM
Repentance and faith in Jesus Christ is the only sensible way to prepare for death. Eternity is a long time.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 10:21:31 AM
Dear Banjo,

«A number of fervent religious zealots have come up with some fairly fantastic ideas over the years. Some say God is love. Some say God is truth. Some say God is hope. Some say God is life. Some say God is light. There is no limit to their imagination. It just goes on and on.»

It's the old story of the blind men who touched an elephant for the first time:

The one who touched the trunk said "Elephant is like a thick snake".
The one who touched the ear said: "Elephant is a kind of fan".
The one who touched a leg said: "Elephant is a pillar".
The one who touched the elephant's side said: "Elephant is a wall".
The one who touched the tail said: "Elephant is a rope".
The one who touched the tusk said: "Elephant is hard and smooth like a spear".

All six experienced the same elephant, and yet...

«Are you alluing to Aristophanes»

No, I was not aware of that account. I was only reflecting within.
Self-interest is like a smooth hard wall without a key or any other way to break out. I might try to love others, but then I discover that I was just deceiving myself, that I only really did it for myself and no matter how lofty my ideas are, I cannot wilfully do anything unless I believe it to be for myself, even if it is in very indirect ways.

However, one can arrive at Love (and at God) by expanding and recognising one's self to include other bodies as well. Our cage of selfishness is a result of thinking "I am this body and only this body", but that thinking is in error - realising your error and the truth of who you really are, to include all other bodies too, will set you free!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 3:45:41 PM

Dear runner,

You wrote :

« Repentance and faith in Jesus Christ is the only sensible way to prepare for death. Eternity is a long time »

I do not like the word “detest” and avoid using it, but I can find no other way of expressing my extreme dislike of the meaning of the word “repentance”. It is particularly repulsive to me.

I consider that repentance or “regret” is the acknowledgement of one’s incapacity and, worse, the acceptance of one’s incapacity, to assume the consequences of one’s behaviour. It evokes a lack of foresight, a lack of control of one’s impulses, and not only a lack of courage, but a clear sign of cowardice.

I distinctly recall reflecting on this as a young boy and deciding that I would exercise my brain and my will to the best of my ability, as long as I live, and never regret (or have to repent for) anything.

Today, I can honestly say that though I have by no means lived the life of a saint, I have never regretted anything, and hope I never shall. Whatever I do, I hope I shall continue to have the courage to accept the consequences of my acts, right to the end.

Need I add that I have absolutely no sympathy and no admiration whatsoever for those individuals who show little or no respect for others during their lifetime and “repent and have faith in Jesus Christ” (or some other hypothetical deity) on their deathbed. As James Bond would surely explain, without the slightest hesitation : “it’s a licence to kill”.

If that is religion, I strongly disapprove of it and prefer to go my own way - alone - come what may.

Allow me also to suggest, Dear runner, that eternity is not “a long time”, it’s beyond time, and space.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 11:41:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy