The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reasonableness and citizenship > Comments

Reasonableness and citizenship : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 6/6/2018

The world is moving slowly and perhaps hesitantly to recognising that a person can 'belong' to two nations in a positive way, and act as a citizen in each.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Got it in a nutshell hasbeen,unless you were born here no where near taxpayer funded influence ever again.
Posted by mmadpat, Wednesday, 6 June 2018 8:55:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

«you can't serve 2 masters»

MP's are not supposed to serve any of those masters: their only master should be their local community which elected them.

They should be serving their electors and them alone and there indeed should be sanctions/safeguards to prevent them from serving anyone else instead, including themselves, their family and friends and including both their country of origin and the Australian commonwealth.

At present, to the best of my knowledge, no MP is serving their country of origin or any other country they previously had citizenship of, but worryingly, some do serve China even though they never lived there. Besides, most MPs do not serve the Australian commonwealth anyway, but rather themselves and their family and friends.

«It should be made totally impossible for anyone not born in Oz to stand for any elected post.»

I understand: you want to prevent the people of the land from electing a leader that will do what it takes on their behalf to release them from the commonwealth of Australia if this is what they wish. It seems that for you (please forgive and correct me if I'm wrong, I would be very happy to learn that this is not the case), the state of Australia is more important than the people of Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 6 June 2018 10:08:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, that's a tough call! So far as I know no one in public life has made such a suggestion. I can't support it myself. I see the argument for it, but it doesn't persuade, in a land where immigration has been so important.
Posted by Don Aitkin, Thursday, 7 June 2018 6:35:11 AM
Good on ya Alan B.
"No man can serve two masters."
- That's what I was going to say.

The problem with the world these days is a complete absence of ethics;
Followed by ignorance and narrow-mindness, which is a product of the lack of ethics.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 7 June 2018 8:26:55 AM
And that is the very problem Don. Migration is far too important, because it is far too great. When we now have suburbs where English is only spoken as a second or third language, business signs are in a foreign language, & so too even street signs, immigration has reached the ridiculous.

Post WW11 immigration did stretch us somewhat. We struggled to absorb the huge & rapid influx of people from countries with different language. Then a pause allowed us time to turn those into Australians. That they wanted to start & build for themselves a new life as Australians made this task possible.

Today a huge percentage of immigrants & refugees are coming here just for the welfare handout. They neither want to become Australians, or to build a new life for themselves. They are here just for what they can get, & are of no use to us, nor will they ever be. So many still unemployed after 5 years is proof if you need any.

Yes I know we have built our economy on building accommodation for immigrants & little else. We currently waste massive amounts of money supporting & housing these people, all to the disadvantage of the population in general.

Our kids are having a growing problem supporting our aging population, & really don't need even more blowins to support in a style they always wanted for free.

Continued.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 7 June 2018 1:04:39 PM
Continued.

It would have been better subsidising the car & white goods industries we once had to provide work, than spending even more importing tenants for ridiculously expensive housing, built to provide the work.

Winding back the building industry now, would bring immense pain, but nothing like the pain that will be generated with it's collapse in the next global financial crisis.

Currently immigration is merely kicking the can down the road. Even worse, it is like kicking a snow ball down the slope. It gets bigger the longer & further it rolls. When the stuff finally hits the fan, it will not just be financial this time, but will induce ethnic tensions, that will be hard to contain.

We are sewing the seeds of our own Beirut Lebanon, & the longer it takes to put a stop the rot, the worse the coming catastrophe will be.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 7 June 2018 1:04:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy