The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hanson true to form on company tax cuts > Comments

Hanson true to form on company tax cuts : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 7/3/2018

The idea that no companies would increase investment is fanciful and argued by no-one, not even the Greens.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Hanson true to form on company tax cuts.

I'm glad she did.

I've been hearing this same argument for reducing company tax since I joined the work force in the late 1960s. In those days the Australian corporate tax rate was 60%. Today its 30% and falling.

Where will it end? In zero tax perhaps?

If the authors premise is sound then we will never ever hear the cry for less corporate tax when it gets to zero. My fear however is that it wont stop as zero%. I can see them demanding a bonus dollar for every dollar they earn.

Surely such lunacy cannot be seriously entertained but the problem remains, I still suspect it will happen. Don't know how but people like the author of this article with no doubt find an argument to justify it.

Where will this form of corporate welfare end?
Posted by Referundemdrivensocienty, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 7:42:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not a fan of Hanson, but if her true motive is as stated, then I applaud her.

«The irony is, many of these voters are employed by companies like Wesfarmers and Woolworths, and their futures and the futures of their families rely on foreign investment.»

It is only human to worry about where the next meal is going to come from, but one should also consider where their meals are going to come from a decade or so hence, once the world-economy collapses and no longer exists, yet the basics are no longer grown and produced in Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 8 March 2018 8:27:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Y, you have hit the nail on the head, as our farmers will find themselves in a position whereby they cant afford the wages. Why, because when the price of vegies goes too high, consumers simply find an alternative. The future in farming will most likely be cereal crops or bio fuel as the risks of having to leave the crop in the paddock are not so high. I also believe the motive for the Chinese investing in our farmlands, is because they know we will reach a point where we can no longer afford to grow food due to our employment conditions. Its a slippery slope.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 8 March 2018 2:46:37 PM
David L as with so many others:

If you want the poor to be more productive, give them less money.
If you want the rich to be more productive, give them more money.

The idea that cutting corporate tax will increase jobs has been tried and failed over and over but that doesn't stop the David L's barking on.

Second, Where are the details of the reductions in government spending that would be so easy to find?
Posted by ericc, Monday, 12 March 2018 3:26:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy