The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hanson true to form on company tax cuts > Comments

Hanson true to form on company tax cuts : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 7/3/2018

The idea that no companies would increase investment is fanciful and argued by no-one, not even the Greens.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I don't think Pauline Hanson and One Nation will have much influence in the future. One Nation was a good idea, but lacked/lacks the personnel to develop it. However, I'm not sure that she is wrong about the tax cuts. Corporate tax cuts seem to be a lot of noisy politicking - perhaps to solicit bigger donations for our increasingly greedy, but incompetent, political class. Also, we cannot ignore the fact that the same people who are pushing for for tax payer largesse towards the corporates, are still bad-mouthing the person who has done it - Donald Trump. They are hypocrites and not to be trusted.

There are too many people in Australia, where there are not enough jobs. The corporates don't need to employ more people, and nothing will make them do so. Stopping mass immigration is the most urgent and useful thing to do, not tax cuts for the rich, which will have to be paid for by workers and consumers who are already struggling, thanks to mass immigration and stagnating wages.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 8:44:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry David but here I have to agree with Pauline! Tax breaks to tac avoiding, price gouging, profit repatriating foreign firms;those that actually pay some tax, invariably winds up as increased dividends that go there! As we lose/lose!

Fact check: last year 2017, the top tax rate paid by any company was just 17%, with one in three paying no tax for up to three years! And you want them to pay what? 25%? That's a 7% increase on the top tax rate actually paid in 2017 by any company! With one in three paying no tax at all and only possible due to the dogs breakfast of a tax act, crafted so that the well heeled can avoid most tax.

Sir Joh got one thing right. There ought to be a flat tax of just 15%! With the only way to avoid it, is to not make a profit!

And the same 7 year rule should stay for farmers, so that they can average their income over a seven year period, and because they can't control the weather!

Those who make or buy and sell stuff are in mostly charge of their own destiny. And have government to thank if the energy bill is forcing them out of business.

And in our case because what hasn't been privatized is now used, I believe, as various governments personal ATM! And will need to have their cold dead hands, all but levered off of it by a brand new, sane, rational, logical energy policy that completely rules out this, tax by stealth, on the part of parasitic and useless, self serving, visionless, divisive pollies, cut from the same mold, I believe, as yourself!

All one can really add to your critique. Is, bah humbug, Sir! And I refer you to my last comment on this same topic, when you last raised it Sir!

And given you've been so repetitive!

I urge you to at least listen to what other folks are saying. Then put our brain (echo chamber) into gear before engaging your mouth!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 7 March 2018 9:59:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Tis good to know that, in contrast to her first time in Parliament, Hanson has now started thinking seriously about economics.

Alas while Hanson has improved, Leyonhjelm hasn't. He's fallen hook line and sinker for the government's "debt and deficit disaster" rhetoric. And he doesn't appear to comprehend that domestic investment is as good at creating jobs here as foreign investment is.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 10:21:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just heard a radio election splurge on behalf of the notorious Property Council, yammering on about taxes on business, and putting over the idea that the main interest of business is to create employment. It is not. Their main interest is, naturally, making money, and a drop in taxes makes them more money. The simple fact is that few businesses need more employees, given technology and the loss of the need for many jobs, as well as the exporting of many jobs; and paying less tax will not change that fact.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 11:23:10 AM
Good to hear the opinions being discussed. I also agree that cutting taxes, expecting businesses to employ more people is a fantasy. With the cost of labour having been set to a minimum, and people being the least productive tool in the tool box, the companies are looking more and more to robotics, or away from hiring humans. Now you lefties won't want to hear this, but the major part of the blame was and is the unions. Those of you who disagree must be from another planet. Get it through your heads, the main stuff we export has very little to do with any value added by Aussies. Think about it. What do we export? Gas, minerals, livestock and so on. Thanks to the mongrel unions and labour we have 'priced ourselves out of the market'. And if any of you can't see it, you're idiots and you deserve to be un-employed. The BS the govt pushes about re-training and so on, is a non starter. No-one wants to start again and no-one wants to hire such a person. Labourers might stand a chance because they don't need any skills just muscles. For Australia to truly recover, not the BS poly recover, we must cut everything, wages, house prices, car prices, fuel price, etc. We must step down and away from the lifestyle we have selfishly created for our selves, it's too expensive and we are now paying for it. We can either do it voluntarily or it will be done for us when the housing bubble bursts. Either we do it ourselves so we can manage the cut-backs ourselves, or we remain arrogant and wait for the bubble to burst and leave it to the banks to gut you instead. I would rather we controlled our future and watched while the banks imploded. (Yeh, I wish).
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 3:01:00 PM
Are you serious David? Do you honestly believe that a small reduction in company tax will result in billions more in investments? If we are serious, why not tackle real anti investment issues like pay roll tax, a tax that rather than reward successful businesses for creating jobs, punishes them. Or pay rates and conditions that are among the most anti competitive for businesses in the world. Get a grip mate, if you want to increase investment do it by making our country more attractive to investment and, what ever tinkering you do, can be blown out of the water by the likes of Trumps proposed tariffs on steel and aluminium which we export to the US. Sorry, but the likes of the above mentioned, along with the carbon and mining taxes and continual tinkering of super, not to mention the NBN debacle have done far more damage to investment than a small tax cut could ever compensate for.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 4:05:53 PM
Hanson true to form on company tax cuts.

I'm glad she did.

I've been hearing this same argument for reducing company tax since I joined the work force in the late 1960s. In those days the Australian corporate tax rate was 60%. Today its 30% and falling.

Where will it end? In zero tax perhaps?

If the authors premise is sound then we will never ever hear the cry for less corporate tax when it gets to zero. My fear however is that it wont stop as zero%. I can see them demanding a bonus dollar for every dollar they earn.

Surely such lunacy cannot be seriously entertained but the problem remains, I still suspect it will happen. Don't know how but people like the author of this article with no doubt find an argument to justify it.

Where will this form of corporate welfare end?
Posted by Referundemdrivensocienty, Wednesday, 7 March 2018 7:42:02 PM
I am not a fan of Hanson, but if her true motive is as stated, then I applaud her.

«The irony is, many of these voters are employed by companies like Wesfarmers and Woolworths, and their futures and the futures of their families rely on foreign investment.»

It is only human to worry about where the next meal is going to come from, but one should also consider where their meals are going to come from a decade or so hence, once the world-economy collapses and no longer exists, yet the basics are no longer grown and produced in Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 8 March 2018 8:27:25 AM
Y, you have hit the nail on the head, as our farmers will find themselves in a position whereby they cant afford the wages. Why, because when the price of vegies goes too high, consumers simply find an alternative. The future in farming will most likely be cereal crops or bio fuel as the risks of having to leave the crop in the paddock are not so high. I also believe the motive for the Chinese investing in our farmlands, is because they know we will reach a point where we can no longer afford to grow food due to our employment conditions. Its a slippery slope.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 8 March 2018 2:46:37 PM
David L as with so many others:

If you want the poor to be more productive, give them less money.
If you want the rich to be more productive, give them more money.

The idea that cutting corporate tax will increase jobs has been tried and failed over and over but that doesn't stop the David L's barking on.

Second, Where are the details of the reductions in government spending that would be so easy to find?
Posted by ericc, Monday, 12 March 2018 3:26:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy