The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Confronting energy realities > Comments

Confronting energy realities : Comments

By Tristan Prasser, published 9/2/2018

In tackling Australia’s energy crisis, politicians and policy makers need to find the courage and conviction to confront key energy realities and develop real policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Certainly Australia should lead the dirty, poisonous Thorium Revolution, even if this experiment costs Taxpayers maybe only $20 Billion to 50 Billion.

Lets forget clean, proven, wind, solar and hydro.

AND Thorium reactors have useful WEAPON applications

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKwdtHQEPM

Cheers :)
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 9 February 2018 2:15:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Privatisation of the energy market has not helped with the price of energy.
Also, the Howard government gave gas away at liquidation prices.

http://the-pen.co/no-good-reason-to-increase-energy-charge/
Posted by ant, Friday, 9 February 2018 2:41:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not an energy crises, it's a crises of political ineptitude and neglect of social good.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 9 February 2018 6:07:22 PM
Dirty thorium Pete? So far from the truth to be in orbit!

I can see some vested interest in renewables speaking loud and clear here and a vested interest that would be ruined by the application of clean, safe, thorium. And have to resort to blatant lies, to try and get the mugs out there in mugvilles to sit still while the renewable enthusiasts fleece them and all but kill the economy!

Tas. Our chances of ever building a uranium powered, light water reactor are virtually nil and will remain thus as long as we remain a signatory to the nuclear proliferation treaty. Besides they are horrendously expensive and massively dangerous.

If the reactor at chernobyl had been a molten salt thorium reactor. There would've been no melt down and the thing would be perculting away today. You see in a solid fueled reactor, the reaction produces xenon, a gas. Xenon eats neutrons and slows the reaction.

It also expands inside the fuel rods and if allowed to expand to much? Chernobyl!?

In a molten salt reactor the gas is like fizz in a soda pop and just vents to the atmosphere during the fuel reconditioning in the adjacent chemical plant.

This reconditioning allows all the available energy to be progressively extracted as the molten brew goes from reactor to chemical plant and then refreshed pumped back to the reactor to continue the self regulating reaction.

From time to time a few grams more of fuel or nuclear waste, can be added. just to maintain optimal performance.

One of the byproducts of this type of nuclear reaction is miracle cure bismuth 2/13. And the only hope for a number of really nasty cancers.

I suppose a conflicted pete will tell you all that's dirty as well?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 9 February 2018 6:24:14 PM
Alan B.,
If you're going to keep advocating thorium based molten salt reactors, please take the time to learn about them! Likewise, if you want to criticise uranium rod reactors, please learn about these too instead of making laughable statements! There are plenty of documentaries explaining what happened at Chernobyl, so I'm surprised you still don't understand. Mismanagement of the effects of xenon was certainly a major cause, but it had nothing to do with "expanding inside the fuel rods".

It is not all xenon that absorbs neutrons much better than other elements - it's only the radioactive isotope Xe135. And the best thing you can do with Xe135 is capture neutrons, producing heat and Xe136 (which is stable and useful). The WORST thing you could do with Xe135 is to vent it into the atmosphere, because of its radioactivity. Fairly quickly it decays into Cs135 which has a two million year half life - short enough to be dangerous, but still far too long to safely deal with by any way other way than containment.

Though bismuth 213 is used in nuclear medicine, it's not a miracle cure. And of course it's "dirty" - like other highly radioactive substances, it's harmful so you don't want any in your body unless you really need it! Nor do you need any sort of nuclear reactor to produce it; a particle accelerator will suffice.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 9 February 2018 11:49:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Adian: I clearly have learned a lot more about thorium as a potential fuel than you have from one of your many, crafted in the Kremlin, bogus links! It is xenon that eats neutrons. The very first nuclear reactor ever built proved that absolutely and conclusively

Of the two of us I'll bet I'm the only one to have worked with radioactive material on a daily basis.

And I'll thank you to take your BS clams to NASA scientist and nuclear technologist, who'll laugh in your stupid face, before you go telling me to study something you clearly know nothing about!

You sad little link dependant, B.S. artist! Try talking from a little higher up next time and stick to topics you have some actual knowledge of! And save your bogus links and BS for folks impressed by that crap!

Yes I know, you're one of those green advocates ideologically opposed to all nuclear as a mindless ill informed imperative!

As always you arrive in a cloud of bombastic ill mannered, abusive fire and fury, opening your mouth just to change socks, as you try to big note yourself by pretending to know stuff. And hopping into folks who've clearly forgotten more than you've ever learned.

Thankfully parliament has already received a report. And although not too enthusiastic, at least factual!

So you're a bit late with the false information that has worked so well for green nut jobs for several decades. Go take a running jump. You stupid little cyberbully!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 10 February 2018 9:40:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy