The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's time to draw the line on discrimination exemptions in marriage legislation > Comments

It's time to draw the line on discrimination exemptions in marriage legislation : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 27/11/2017

If any more discrimination exemptions make their way into marriage equality legislation, that legislation should be voted down and we should start again.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Life is full of shades of grey - nothing is black and white - and the author needs to understand that creating legislation which purports to be so simple and straightforward as to resolve all grey issues will be too simplistic to be effective. Australians have voted in the plebiscite to allow SSM but it is wrong to assume that the yes vote also meant yes to every expectation of every SSM supporter. You can make every act of discrimination an offense which will be almost impossible to enforce or you can build into legislation reasonable lawful exemptions to respect religious and conscientious beliefs. I support the latter course of action.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 27 November 2017 4:57:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Uh oh! It's all starting to unravel already. Has anyone except politicians and a few insiders the slightest idea what is in the Smith bill? Obviously Croome knows what's in it, and wants it “voted” down” even before the public knows what's in it. We, the public who bothered to vote, have already been conned to vote for the magic of 'equality'; now, the likes of Croome want to replace discrimination against his kind with discrimination against the rest of us. But, given past performances, this should be come as no surprise. The SSM mob wouldn't know 'equality' if it bit them on the bum. As with the feminist crowd, it is not equality they want: it's the power to put the rest of us in 'our place' and extract revenge. And, what a surprise that 70% of 3,000 homosexuals surveyed want to put the boot in!

Non-religious celebrants must be able to refuse there services if they so choose, just like any other business people. An offer of a service or product has never had an obligation to provide that service or product attached. The offer can legally be withdrawn at any time.

And, since when has it been OK for religious people to be offended, scandalised, whatever, but not OK for non-religious people?

All you YES people allowed yourselves to be conned by the emotion of 'equality' – what decent person doesn't believe in equality - and you went for it hook, line and sinker. Now you are going to find that equality was just a ruse to take equality and rights from one group, the majority, and hand them over to a minority group. Suckers!
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 27 November 2017 5:01:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While driving today I turned on the radio and heard someone speaking in parliament against the protections, saying: "we want to create love, not hate".

Does this hateful idiot really believes that love can be legislated?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 27 November 2017 6:25:09 PM
the Muslims are allowed to have multiple wives and practise Sharia law in Australia because of freedom of religion.
It's called religious tolerance.

So whilst the Muslim religion are allowed to be intolerant of the laws of the country
how can the legislators not grant the Christian religion the right to be a law unto itself
outside of the secular government.

Makes a mockery of the supposed separation of church and state
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 27 November 2017 8:31:15 PM
//the Muslims are allowed to have multiple wives//

No, they're not. Bigamy is illegal, and religious belief is not a defence under the law. If it can be proved before the court, they will be found guilty and sentenced accordingly.

//and practise Sharia law in Australia because of freedom of religion//

They're allowed to practise whatever law they like... as long it doesn't conflict with Australian law. For example: if the law says that out-of-court arbitration is acceptable for some small claims, then certain cultures may be allowed to use traditional forms of law, given certain provisos. But if the law clearly prohibits something like corporal punishment, then no amount of freedom of religion is going to allow you to beat miscreants and get away with it if you get caught. And get caught you will... the long arm of the law gets longer as technology improves.

//So whilst the Muslim religion are allowed to be intolerant of the laws of the country//

They're not. They'll get caught, arrested, and accommodated at Her Majesty's pleasure.

//how can the legislators not grant the Christian religion the right to be a law unto itself
outside of the secular government.//

Yeah, because that's bound to improve society... I can already see the ACL forming vigilante mobs to go forth and crusade against the moral evil of our time (queers, obviously). No thanks.

//Makes a mockery of the supposed separation of church and state//

No, the separation of church and state means not having the church as the state, for fairly obvious reasons (see Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan). The separation of church and state does mean giving religions a licence to anarchy, because nobody likes anarchists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocngVQ4XaE

Or Neil.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 27 November 2017 9:15:04 PM
"It's time to draw the line on discrimination exemptions in marriage legislation"

Why Rodney?

"If any more discrimination exemptions make their way into marriage equality legislation, that legislation should be voted down and we should start again."

We?
Sorry to break it to you but I voted 'No'.
Do you want to know why?

- Because of Safe-Schools indoctrination against kids and of gays victimisation against other members of the community.

"Strategically, the bill's exemptions give too much away too early"

I believe in 'Don't sign anything until you read the fine-print.'
Your side did not sort out the fine-print first.

It's not 'WE', I voted 'NO'.

Why did the government ask my opinion if it did not care about my position in the first place?

I gave nothing up to early, I voted 'No'.
And you'll get no sympathy from me now.

You're worried about your little gay mate being embarrassed and humiliated by having someone potentially refuse to marry him.

Seriously what is so hard about calling around to find a celebrant that support marrying gay people?
WTF is wrong with you?
Why can't you just call around and ask?
The same with the damn bakery and your rainbow cakes?
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ATTACK THE CHURCH?

Is there no gays who are willing to become marriage celebrants so they can marry other gays?
Are there no bakeries who are willing to bake cakes for gay weddings?
Don't gays share this information with each other on facebook.

Seems to me all this is about is attacking others with beliefs separate to yours.

Why is it ok for gays to attack Christians religious beliefs, but it is not ok for regular people to attack Muslims religious beliefs?
- Now that's food for thought isn't it.

Attacking someone else for their rights and beliefs is the same as your lot being attacked for your beliefs.

You're all dumb as dogshite in my opinion.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 November 2017 7:06:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy