The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forrest donations and false charity > Comments

Forrest donations and false charity : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 1/6/2017

Behind Forrest's wealth lies the eager hand of historical appropriation, the coloniser's prerogative to make good the use of natural resources.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
You have to wonder what goes wrong in the minds of some people. It could be that some are just jealous, maybe they angry because this type of act is something they could never do.
Maybe its a reminder of how much hope they had as a child how reality and their own short comings haven't allowed them to become what the wanted to be.
Whatever it is it's rather pathetic to watch or read.

Forrest made money legally and his company paid the tax it was legally obliged to pay, and now he is giving some of it away.

I'm rather sick of people like Binoy whom are happy to pass judgement from the safety of their public service jobs. Having more then likely never done any useful in their lives.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 1 June 2017 9:23:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, the problem is easily fixed. Forrest and others can stop donating to bloody ingrates, and they can start looking after themselves for a change.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 1 June 2017 9:46:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think this is the worst article ever to see the light of day on OLO!

And without a single redeeming feature to bless itself with!

Twiggy pays as much tax as any of the other miners and more than some! Moreover, his phalandrothy has set new Australian records, as has his empathetic treatment of indigenous Australians, who he grew up with and arguably treats as his sisters and brothers!

And evidenced for those with eyes to see, by the inclusive programs he initiated and rolled out completely of his own volition!

If only the entire business community could be guided by his example, Australia would be a far, far better place and the envy of the world!

This wretched article smacks of out and out, as politics of envy and an attempt at half assed radicalization of our indigenous brothers and sisters?

You both unfairly malign and impugn Twiggy without cause, justification, or any evidence of any shadow of attempted evenhanded fair comment!

My celtic ancestors have little to thank the british for, save the Westminster system, the rule of law, blind innocent until proven guilty, justice, cricket and an inherent inculcated idea of a fair go, being a guiding principle to live by!

None of which is self evident in this scurrilous hate-filled. reverse apartheid garbage, merely masquerading as fair and balanced comment!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 1 June 2017 10:06:25 AM
Not to come to the rescue of mining companies, but is anybody actually simple enough to think that all Forrest has had to do is dig stuff out of the ground, put it in a truck, pay the miners and truckies, ship it to a port, sell it to the Chinese and make big bucks ?

Miners (I can't believe I have to write this) pour vast amounts into mining projects, investors' funds - from investors, banks, super funds, etc., who want some eventual rate of return. And even as Binoy points out, that means risk: the whole thing could (and most do) go belly-up long before a single teaspoon-full is dug up. Olympic Dam in South Australia has been in the planning for more than thirty years: what investor would put a dollar into something like that unless there is a pretty sizeable return eventually, otherwise why not put your investment into something much shorter-term, like Badgery's Creek airport ?

I presume that, even after a mine is up and running, it would take years to pay off the start-up costs and to get around to paying back on those investments. Corporate tax would, I suppose, be paid on the net gain from income from mining less the expenses, amortised over the life of the project, and which therefore might amount to very little: any taxes derived from the early days of mining ventures are more likely to be on the annual incomes of the workforce involved, i.e. from income tax.

And if Fortescue had gone belly-up, how much would Forrest have been able to donate ? Give credit where it is due.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 1 June 2017 10:36:04 AM
I am always at a loss to express the degree of my bemusement when it comes to complaints about royalties from iron ore mining.
Aboriginal people had 40,000 years to discover a use for iron ore and move themselves out of the Stone Age and into the Iron Age.
They didn't manage that and the ore remained undiscovered and unused.
Then along comes someone who does know what to do with it, pays them huge sums for the privilege and still they complain.
Considering the iron ore wasn't created by aboriginal people and just happened to be where they decided to live I find this attitude unappreciative to say the least.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 1 June 2017 11:04:25 AM
Kamp-boy Bismarck should stick to what he knows best.

German battleships
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Bismarck
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 1 June 2017 3:18:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy