The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terror fails in face of hope and respect > Comments

Terror fails in face of hope and respect : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 23/3/2017

Today's attack on Westminster Bridge and the Palace of Westminster, home of the British Parliament, have shaken many Londoners.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I like the idea that tolerance is inferior to respect. I had Lebanese Moslem neighbors for many years and they told me that in their house, there is only one rule: respect. Respect for themselves, each other, their neighbors and their community. I have never forgotten it.
Posted by estelles, Thursday, 23 March 2017 8:50:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Human beings will never be satisfied with a new status quo won through violence and suppression." writes Mal Fletcher

Nope!

Can you really speak for all humans??

Colonial history is exactly that, and works wonders, with relatively few hiccups.

Greed, fear and force are alive and thriving!

ymmv
Posted by fool on hill, Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:22:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
' I like the idea that tolerance is inferior to respect. I had Lebanese Moslem neighbors for many years and they told me that in their house, there is only one rule: respect. Respect for themselves, each other, their neighbors and their community. I have never forgotten it.'

yes Estelles obviously not followers of Mohammed. Glad they adopted Christ teaching rather than that of secularism or Koran teachings.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 23 March 2017 11:22:56 AM
Fortunately, no spinning it for all it's worth, parliamentary politician was in any way harmed during this brief reign of terror, just civilians and one proactive policeman!

And a good outcome all round for the protected politicians!

The rest of us, given the additional resources committed to parliament, will have to take our increased chances like those in that cafe, when a killer armed with an illegal shotgun held patrons and staff hostage, until an explosion left the waiting constabulary with no other choice but react!?

Thus it is and shall be as long as politicians are and remain a taxpayer funded protected and privileged species, with rights not shared by those they govern!

Reacting police don't make the laws, but enforce them, whether they agree with them or not! And like that heroic, stabbed to death parliamentary policeman, sometimes with their lives or able bodies!

One has to beg the question, have our highly restrictive gun laws made us safer from terrorists and drive by criminals with "unfettered access" to their choice of firearms! Some of which can be manufactured in backyard operations or printed with a 3D printer? Import restrictions? Bah humbug!

And such comfort to know the "handcuffed" police might even be able to identify the killer and bring him/her to "justice" after you're just a, carved in stone, memory!

Ask yourselves, how many mindless massacres could have been prevented/minimised by a competent, weapons trained, ex service civilian armed with a concealed weapon? Something like a legally concealed laser aimed 32 calibre handgun? And if that meant more metal detectors and frisk searches? Would that also not make us safer?

Better a dead terrorist than four innocent strangers and one heroic policeman! Who will be yesterday's news a week from now, once the politicians have finished waxing eloquent about his brave sacrifice! And never ever actually have to share? Unless they are at home or sharing the street with other mere mortals!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 23 March 2017 11:27:40 AM
Again, this guy was known to police.

If it's a "war", why wasn't he interned? Why was his freedom considered to so respected that members of the public had to die to defend it?

This stuff needs to be dealt with by military courts, not civil courts.

We have Australians returning from fighting for ISIS. Get the matter out of the hands of civil courts and let the military deal with it. It's outrageous that these enemies of Australia should be allowed back to dwell among us.
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 23 March 2017 11:54:41 AM
I don't really know why Isis gets a mention every time a muslim kills in the name of Allah.If its not Isis it is Hamas or Boko Haram or Al Qaeda or Hezbollah or lone wolfs etc etc.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 23 March 2017 12:40:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy