The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Israel fight a war on three fronts? A nightmarish scenario > Comments

Can Israel fight a war on three fronts? A nightmarish scenario : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 16/3/2017

Because of the increasing Iranian threat, Netanyahu should do everything in his power to negotiate a peace agreement with the Palestinians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
OK, I was not aware of the "Times of Israel", but it clearly states what the Israeli jets were doing there and that none were hurt. Other Israeli papers write that no Israeli plane was even coming close to being in danger.

Below are some excerpts from the "Times of Israel":

-+-+-+-
Israeli fighter jets hit several targets in Syria on Friday, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying the strikes targeted weapons bound for the Hezbollah terror group in Lebanon.

Syria’s military claimed it downed one of the Israeli planes and hit another as they were carrying out the predawn strikes near the famed desert city of Palmyra that it recaptured from jihadists this month.

The IDF denied that any of its planes were hit. The Syrian government has made similar claims in the past.

An Israeli army statement said “several anti-aircraft missiles” were fired following the raid but that none hit their targets.

The anti-aircraft missiles were fired from eastern Syria by Bashar Assad’s military, traveling over Jordan and toward the Jerusalem area. They were apparently SA-5 surface-to-air missiles (SAMs).

One missile was intercepted by Israel’s Arrow missile defense battery, military officials said, in the first reported use of the advanced system.

It was the most serious incident between the two countries since the Syrian civil war began six years ago.

In April 2016, Netanyahu admitted for the first time that Israel had attacked dozens of convoys transporting weapons in Syria destined for Hezbollah, which fought a 2006 war with Israel and is now battling alongside the Damascus regime.

Israel does not usually confirm or deny individual raids, but it may have been led to do so this time by the circumstances of the incident.

-+-+-+-

While there are many other Israeli policies which I do not support, since the Hezbollah terrorist organisation is amassing missiles from Iran in order to shoot them at my family, I fully support the efforts of the Israeli air-force to intercept those missiles so that fewer of them will be rained on my family in the next war.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 March 2017 1:04:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutzu, your logic is impeccable, however no one claims that our culture come from Ned Kelly or that we owe God anything for our existence, because in fact, there is no God. If there was, would he be letting the world which you claim that he created, fall into the travail that through the ages and also currently has been our lot. Wake up to reality.
I am sorry for your relatives. My advice would be to get out while there is still time.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 20 March 2017 6:33:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Yuyutsu,
There's also mention of the incident in a Haaretz article.
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.778218

No matter where my concerns and finger pointing goes in regards to the Syrian mess, please understand I don't want to see any innocent bystanders harmed.
The sooner peace unsues the better; but the long term strategies and motives of the lead players still seem to be Assad's removal, so I guess it will continue for the time being.

Thanks for the background info on Al Manar, though I wouldn't necessarily jump automatically to the conclusion they're 'fake news'; though I accept your argument that sometimes they might be.
From my point of view it could simply be that they report on news or a side of the conflict that Israel doesn't want reported.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 20 March 2017 7:48:19 AM
Dear David,

In wars, it is common to use words as weapons, trying to demoralise the enemy. Just as Hezbollah might claim that they brought down an Israeli jet and drove away the rest, Israel could claim that God is fighting for them. Very few on either side actually believe their own claims. Had Netanyahu actually believed that the land belongs to Israel due to God's decree, I could counter him with serious theological counter-claims, but this does not seem necessary since he doesn't.

BTW, I do not claim, as you suggest, that God created the world: that's an Abrahamic concept which I do not share - while a Creator/Created duality has value as a good devotional tool, if used out of context as an attempt to describe nature, it necessarily leads to logical contradictions.

«I am sorry for your relatives. My advice would be to get out while there is still time.»

Are you still in Australia? with all those horrendous bushfires? You know, they constantly get worse - global warming and all that, so shouldn't you leave quickly before you are engulfed in the flames?

---

Dear Critic,

Thanks for your compassion.

Israel never denied that it has for many years been bombing convoys of sophisticated weapons passing through and all across Syria from Iran to its Hezbollah franchise. Understandably it prefers the tactical details to remain in the dark. Syrians who assist those convoys are fair-game too and it has nothing to do with the struggle against Daesh. Had an Israeli plane indeed been downed (which is practically impossible given Israel's defence systems that are the most advanced in the world), Israel would have been in resounding mourning while eulogies and details of the funeral(s) would have been published everywhere.

The war between Iran and Israel is unrelated to the Palestinian question (think Iran would care about these Sunnies?). It is happening because Iran would never forgive Israel for historically supporting the Shah. I can't see how peace is possible under the circumstances, with or without Assad, not even if Israel and the Palestinians became best buddies.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 March 2017 1:44:59 PM
Yuyutsu

It is happening because Iran would never forgive Israel for historically supporting the Shah.

I love the way you rewrite the history. So Israel's role in the Lebanese civil war had nothing to do with the rise of Hezbollah. Hezbollah being Shia, naturally accepted anything Iran sent their way, just as the Christian militias accepted anything Israel sent their way. Especially given the destruction caused by Israel as it fought the PLO in Lebanon.

Yuyutsu

not even if Israel and the Palestinians became best buddies.

For that to happen either East Jerusalem becomes the capital of Palestine or Jerusalem is declared an open city. The West Bank and Gaza would be completely liberated and free movement would be allowed. So what excuse would Iran have to fight Israel.
Posted by Anti-Colonial, Monday, 20 March 2017 8:43:37 PM
Dear Anti,

First, I am more than happy for East Jerusalem to become the capital of Palestine, regardless whether or not this leads to peace between Israel and the so-called "Palestinians". I believe that so is the Israeli author of this article, but sadly Israel doesn't listen to us and to our advice which is for its own good.

While Israel already withdrew from Gaza and while I would like it to withdraw from the whole of the West Bank as well, it would not be appropriate to label this as "liberation". I would indeed like to see the ordinary local people of the West Bank and Gaza liberated, especially the people of Gaza who suffer under a terrible Islamic regime. Despite many aspects of Israel's bad behaviour toward the locals which I do not approve of, those ordinary people never had a relatively better time than under the Israeli regime because their own leaders are even worse.

«So Israel's role in the Lebanese civil war had nothing to do with the rise of Hezbollah.»

Initially, the Shiites of Lebanon were mostly pro-Israel, standing together with the Christians against the Sunni Palestinians. They were subsequently radicalised by the Iranian revolution. Anyway, without Iran they couldn't have become such a significant force.

«So what excuse would Iran have to fight Israel.»

Where's the need for an excuse? Is the truth not enough?

Israel was the Shah's best friend - it armed him, conducted nuclear tests together and supported his regime to the end. So long as Israel exists, Iran has reason to fear that Israel will work to destabilise its Ayatollah regime. If for some reason, however, Iran feels uncomfortable to tell this truth, then they could easily find another excuse... what, say, about the simple fact that Israelis are infidel Jews who should not be living in the holy land?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 March 2017 11:12:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy