The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Good debt, bad debt > Comments

Good debt, bad debt : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 9/1/2017

This year the Government is increasing its gross debt by more than $80 billion. At least $25 billion of this is unmistakeably ‘bad debt’.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
We all know the difference between good and bad debt, Senator. We all know that the only excuse for borrowing is to use those borrowings to invest, and investment means " ...building productive assets that are intended to increase future ability to produce". From production comes savings; savings that can be used for the welfare which you hold in contempt, Senator if your recent tirade against the Age Pension, and the 'poverty' it is anything to go by. The Age Pension is not welfare,Senator; it is a right, made available when politicians were better men than you are. You completely ignore the fact that it is only just recently superannuation contributions were made compulsory, and that, for some time yet, many Australians will be reliant on a full Age Pension or a part Age Pension. But, like all politicians, you live in an ivory tower, and know very little of real life. If I could mention just mention that little-used word 'savings' again, one of the most useful savings we could have would be the abolition of the Senate, and the reclamation of the huge cost of ageing school boys and girls like you.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 9 January 2017 10:46:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes David; and that needs to start, with post politics pensions and entitlements!

Ever heard the expression leading by example?

I dare say, you have not taken any day trip in Com cars for a wine tasting, or used your"EXPENDITURE" account to fly to a nearby political rally in a chopper or used it for a real estate buying trip?

Let's rip into pensioners and the destitute barely surviving on job start or a single mum's pension instead! All while protecting much much more expensive negative gearing, unearned capital gains and SUPER super/tax minimizing family trusts etc!?

You've got all your MOST IMPORTANT (me, me and guns) priorities well and truly sorted, haven't you mate?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 9 January 2017 10:52:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Between 2004 and 2014 BHP Billiton alone showed a 'profit to ordinary shareholders' of some $1,017 Billion (Australian dollars). In the same time, deaths and injuries attributable to them on their sites in the WA Supreme Court cost them $576,000...not a bad "profit margin" I'd reckon.

Now we have the mining lobby (surprise surprise ) backing the Barnett government saying something to the tune of: "The profits from an increased tax to big miners will go primarily to the Eastern states proportionally and Western Australians will lose on such a tax." Well WA and Australia certainly lost out during the boom times didn't we ?

Anyone taking a short drive around the Perth Airport precinct will notice today, that where there formerly stood yard after yard of mining support industries, e.g. equipment hire, recruitment companies, transport yards, welding shops etc stretching from Midland to the Perth CBD, there is now nothing but vacant land and empty shop fronts.

Brendon Grylls has it right, the mining boom was given away by both state and federal, LNP & ALP governments of the day. As I've posted previously - like a drunken sailor ashore with his pay packet.

To say now that an increased 'tax per tonne' will hurt them is nothing short of propaganda and more jobs for the boys n girls post politics. The amount of good equipment that was just thrown into industrial skips whilst the Good Days were in swing had to be seen to be believed. Brand new valves worth several thousands of $ thrown out, acre upon acre of brand new stores taken from shelves and bulldozed into the ground.

When I hear politicians squeak: "Good debt/bad debt." I wonder how many of them will have offers of employment as consultants or CEO's somewhere not too far along the track?

With their wasteful and spendthrift habits during politics, helicopter rides and taxpayer funded junkets galore, it's no wonder they are eminently suitable as mining CEO's.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Monday, 9 January 2017 11:20:31 AM
ttbn

'The Age Pension is not welfare,Senator; it is a right, made available when politicians were better men than you are.'

Quite right. And these were a mixture of Conservative and Labour 'men'. At least both sides of politics have recognised that basic fact, even though more recently, political dingbats on both sides insist on arguing that the aged pension is 'unsustainable'.

Because I've been mostly self-employed throughout my working life, and didn't have the survival nous to find a benevolently endowed job in the Public Service or corporate executive class, I have little in the way of superannuation. However, I sat down recently and did some number-crunching. By the time I retire, I will have paid well over $1 million in tax. If anyone tells me that I don't deserve an aged pension because it's 'unsustainable', they will suddenly find my calculator shoved up a place where the sun doesn't shine.
Posted by Killarney, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 7:11:39 AM
Dear Killarney,

While I feel for your loss, I can't see how you can retrieve it, not in an ethical way anyway.

The tax that you (and I) paid, is long gone. It was used up to pay all manners of unscrupulous people who had no inhibitions about accepting moneys that were stolen or taken from others by force against their will.

Thus, the government no longer has your money - they are paupers, they are in debt, they are bankrupt, they have no legitimate money of their own, but worst of all, the money that they still are willing to pay pensioners (as well as senators, teachers, doctors, administrators, cleaners, soldiers and policemen) is tainted, stolen money, it's not theirs.

This remains the situation so long as tax remains involuntary. Even when the government prints new money, in effect they steal that money from others by devaluing their savings.

Once you notice this simple truth, surely you wouldn't want to touch that money again!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 10 January 2017 7:57:19 AM
Killarney: Absolutely agree with those, poge ma hone sentiments, and follow the calculator, with a (pile driven) car, furniture and house!
Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 10 January 2017 8:57:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy