The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Political correctness: the demise of debate > Comments

Political correctness: the demise of debate : Comments

By Louis O'Neill, published 19/8/2016

As a result my adversaries are more than ready to deviate from the laws of discourse, veering off into ad hominem, red herring or appeal to emotion fallacies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
This is really poorly thought through. What you're essentially doing is arguing for rape in marriage, or for slavery or for being able to give your 'missus' a good slap for not getting the sunday roast on the table. Yes, it is analogous, not comparative, hopefully in order to get the author to think about the poor argument he just made becasue he's using the same tired 'logic'.

Just using the gay marriage argument for one example. Being against gay marriage is like being against holding hands, because it offends thee ! The relationship of others has nothing to do with you, nor does their relationship impact yours and yet you have made a judgment on the nature of their relationship and refused to have it recognised in wider society. What a thing, to tell a fellow citizen they're 'lesser', it makes me feel dirty just to think there are such people, that's why you get called out on it.

Speaking as an old, white, hetro male.

Yes, you can and should have an opinion but yes, people can call you out on your bull$hit and 'hatred'.
Posted by Valley Guy, Friday, 19 August 2016 8:47:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm arguing for rape in marriage and slavery? Where did you get this idea? And when did I oppose gay marriage? Where did I say or even imply these people are lesser?

I simply said that the institution of marriage has been a means of incentivising heterosexual parenting as it is considered the most fruitful for the child and society alike.

Personally I have no qualms with gay marriage, but also see the legitimacy in retaining the "sanctity" of traditional marriage.

People are free to criticize my ideas but I have no sympathy for you when you misrepresent and slander my ideas
Posted by LouisOneill, Friday, 19 August 2016 9:51:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So if somebody is scared of heights, I can call them acrophobic. If they're scared of amphibians, I can call them a batrachophobic. If they're scared of confined spaces, I can call them claustrophobic, etc...

And if somebody is miserly, I can call them a miser. If they're hypocritical, I can call them a hypocrite. If they're known to be dishonest, I can call them a liar, etc...

But if they're bigoted, I shouldn't call them a bigot? And if they're scared of foreigners, ooh no, I mustn't call them xenophobic lest I hurt their poor little feelings? Get stuffed.

I don't throw a tantrum when people point out my acrophobia: I am terrified of heights. What's to get upset about?

Why shouldn't I call a spade a spade, just because a few hyper-sensitive sooks get their noses out of joint when people point out their bigotry? Bugger that, I intend to calling it like I see it, even if a few whingers think they should have free licence to say whatever they like and never have their ugly ideologies criticised. If they can't stand the heat they should stay out of the bloody kitchen.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 19 August 2016 10:48:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Louis,

As you are a budding writer I suggest you rework the following phrase: "tenants of Sharia Law".
Posted by gumnuts, Saturday, 20 August 2016 12:14:01 AM
To Toni Lavis,

The purpose of the ad hominem fallacy is not to shield bigotry and xenophobia, but rather to shield discourse from the subjectivity of such claims.

Your judgements of bigotry or xenophobia may very well be valid, but the conversation will only progress in your substantiation of those claims, insofar as those claims remain relevant to the argument and not the speaker.

And Gumnuts, you are correct, absentmindedness on my part. Tenets was the word intended. Will be updated shortly.
Posted by LouisOneill, Saturday, 20 August 2016 12:39:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Why shouldn't I call a spade a spade, just because a few hyper-sensitive sooks get their noses out of joint when people point out their bigotry?"

That all depends doesn't it on whether anyone other than a 'white' male, fills out a hurt report concerning 'that' word you just used. Double the hurt and the compo for using it twice. And then you might not find out until a couple of years hence, or whenever Triggs et al (meaning an array of expensive silks) are set and good and ready to inform you.

Quite ordinary words and expressions are interpreted by the PC thought police who can also tell you with final authority what was on your mind at the time. But regardless of that, someone took offence and it is all your fault and for the claimed sorry lives of generations too.
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 20 August 2016 8:54:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14