The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can renewables meet public and political expectations? > Comments

Can renewables meet public and political expectations? : Comments

By Tom Biegler, published 20/5/2016

The prospects for renewable energy have been oversold. We need to prepare for the possibility that renewables cannot supply all future energy needs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Bazz, Alan and others,

Solar battery cells and cell terminals are sealed. Most people do not have knowledge to tap those terminals and even if they did it would break battery warranty and maybe lead to a short circuit and maybe a fire.

As you would surely know, deep cycle lead acid batteries are designed for solar charging. Perhaps one day they and ordinary lead acid cells could be manufactured as individual cells and placed in a fitting such as used to hold batteries in a torch. Then the fitting could be equipped with individual cell monitoring you point out.

But it all costs money. And anyway cells and whole batteries still have to be replaced.

Perhaps one day the waste recycling gas that Alan B talks about could be achieved if coupled with solar.
Gas produced in household units harnessing sewage and other waste would be perfect to reduce nutrient overload pollution presently feeding algae that is destroying world ocean seagrass nurseries and coral.

But where is the ABC new information news reporting on these subjects? All we seem to hear about is car accidents and dead bodies.

As for affordability, if government and media investigated and reported socio-economic opportunities, Australia could draw on fly-in fly-out workers to provide employment and income to buy solar and things they need.
Working with teamwork to help build productive infrastructure projects in Australia and also in developing nations could make solar affordable, including for many Australians.

But at present there is a shortage of money among people, except if borrowing money and paying interest is viable. However borrowing is impossible for the majority of would be consumers who happen to be at the bottom of the economy.

If only renewables were affordable. If only there was money for innovation and genuine science.
Posted by JF Aus, Wednesday, 25 May 2016 9:16:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Frankly JF Aus I think someone has been telling you porkies about the
computer failures because of battery cells failing etc.
Proper design would have prevented any abnormal computer failures.
Making connections to cells etc is normal practise and I see no reason
why cell connections should be sealed.
The hardware has been available to monitor each cell for years.
They are just small PCBs with very few components which are connected
to the cell scanner.

From many many years ago I remember NI batteries being used in railway
signal systems and I can assure you they had safety systems long
before airlines and were very rigorous.
It really is all old hat and perhaps the solar people are just catching up.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 28 May 2016 10:58:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz

I have not heard any porkies because my insight is first hand, hands on.
About 120 solar units were delivered to the village as part of an AID program. They each have 24 amp hour 12 volt batteries, some gel, some lead acid.
Some batteries failed after 2 years, others after 4 years, a few have reached 5 to 6 years.
Some that failed early ended up not accepting any solar charge. i overcame that by connecting a 40 watt sealed solar controller direct onto the battery.

These batteries are sealed units. There is no access to each cell unless you drill through the plastic, which I did on one battery in order to test for which cell was dead.
Such need to drill is not normal practice.
There is no cell scanner in these developing country household units.
These units have one two integrated circuits and a few diodes and resistors and not much else. I am often asked to fix them, some I can, others I can not.

Look, I am aware solar is used on space probes but ordinary people cannot afford such solar technology controlled by high tech costly computers.
I am also aware Ni Cad is used by the telcos.

With absolute respect to you Bazz, I think you might be the one hearing porkies, told by the solar industry promoters.

In the real world especially at the bottom of the economy where low cost energy is needed most, solar wears out quickly and replacement of batteries and/or control units is generally unaffordable.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 29 May 2016 7:38:11 PM
JF Aus, all that you said does not change what I said.
A properly designed support circuitry for a microcomputer will not
destroy it no matter what happens to the battery.

Such systems are used in electric cars and that is a very hostile environment.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 5 June 2016 1:37:10 PM
Bazz,

The renewable systems you are talking about exist but they are not affordable to the majority of would be if they could be consumers.

Yes they are suited to .electric cars but replacement cost is significant.

Yes they are suited to hostile environments including on the moon.

But who can afford the high cost?
It's about AUD$5,000 for a quality solar system just to run a household freezer.

And rechargeable batteries do wear out.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 5 June 2016 1:55:34 PM
JF, I suggest you search the web, they can be bought for less than $100.
I suspect that you may be looking in the wrong place.
Try electric vehicle conversion sites.
The micro[processors cost less than $20 and each battery cell hardware
would be around $5 a cell. The scanner modules that I saw advertised
were quite cheap, I cannot remember the price.

For a project I did as a one of even getting the PCB made was only $10.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 5 June 2016 6:55:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy