The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bad history and Anzac Day > Comments

Bad history and Anzac Day : Comments

By William Hill, published 26/4/2016

It invites us to ponder how we should feel if Japanese war enthusiasts turned up on Australian shores commemorating an invasion of Australia that never happened.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
There is no reason for us to be "mindful" of Turkish casualities; Turkey was the enemy. But, yes, it is ludicrous that Australia celebrates its LOSS on Turkish soil annually. But, then, the whole Anzac thing becomes more ludicrous and insulting to the Anzacs themselves, yearly, as Australian governments, all lacking the Anzac spirit, or any courage at all, sell out the sacrifices made by ordinary Australians in two world wars, in minor ones, and now in stupid involvements in Muslim countries while people from those countries have flooded here. These same craven governments have also slimed the Anzac image by making the country a hostage to Communist China, selling of huge tracts of our country to Chinese communists, ruining our economy, and going soft on crime and border protection. All Anzac Day does is highlight our fall.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 10:09:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps another reason for the lack of 'antipathy' towards Australia commemorating there is: (a) they won! And (b) the vast majority of the 'cannon fodder' of those repeated charges were undertaken by Syrian Arabs, who were subject to a brutal Ottoman rule for hundreds of years, the 'Turks' were the officer class.
With such history it is unsurprising that Hungary puts up razor wire on its borders, it has had the Ottoman neighbour problem for hundreds of years. As the author says, a cursory understanding of history can provide a range of perspectives. A good essay.
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 12:01:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you think the ANZAC story is distorted go and have a look at how the war is portrayed by Turkish film makers and writers.
History as it's taught in today's academies has nothing to do with truth, it isn't based on facts and the main purpose is of the discipline is to transmit a set of values.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 12:35:00 PM
Firstly I'd have to say who cares what readers or writers for that matter of the "Red Flag" think.
For those wondering about the validity of honoring the fallen at Gallipoli.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

But I think the most important thing to remember is it's not about you its about them...the Fallen.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 1:29:38 PM
I've got mixed feelings about ANZAC day.
I don't want to take anything away from the ANZACS or what they did.
"Lest We Forgot" is an important part of both my families and our nations history.

But I will not support today's soldiers as they are nothing but paid mercenaries and I do not like ANZAC day being some kind of drumbeat military parade which amounts to the promotion of future wars by today's warmongers.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 1:56:24 PM
Australia's defence force is highly professional.

The ANZAC Day march and other observations are anything but 'warmongering'. The reverse is true.

The defence force does what is demanded of it by the federal government that you elect. This is a democracy.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 26 April 2016 2:12:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy