The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The law is an ass > Comments

The law is an ass : Comments

By Michael Jensen, published 5/2/2016

The government, quite rightly, has allowed some from Nauru to come to Australia for medical treatment and for childbirth. This was the only just and humane thing to do, and it was done.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
misanthrope - Why not? Look at the troubles Europe are in with the open door policy, crime rates going way up etc.

They now have woken up and are going to deport hundreds of thousand economic invaders.

You want them here, I and most Australians do not.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 5 February 2016 3:29:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Q: If you noted, as you drove out or a small country town, several refugee advocate lawyer's buried up to their necks in sand, what would that indicate?
A: A serious local shortage of sand!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 6 February 2016 8:36:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Matthew 25:32-46
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 6 February 2016 10:13:19 AM
seems like it is not just on Nauru where refugees are raping kids

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/10yearold-raped-by-iraqi-migrant-at-swimming-pool-in-vienna/news-story/69abed188e157e2f425d8c204fa50f17
Posted by runner, Saturday, 6 February 2016 7:12:59 PM
I see the usual Chicken Little stuff about the country being swamped by heaps of undeserving refugees.

This issue was about 270-odd traumatised women, kids and babies in need of the healing force of the Australian Fair Go.

Remember that? Never kick someone when they're down. Used to be something we prided ourselves on.

What I see on this thread is ignorance, prejudice and stomach turning cowardice.
Posted by paul walter, Saturday, 6 February 2016 11:29:50 PM
I am most impressed by the reply of Plerdsus:

"The law must not only be an ass, it must be seen to be an ass."

Well the law need not be an ass, but it must be seen as such.

So if it was up to me, I would secretly accept all refugees on condition of silence and give them visas under changed-identities so that we are told that they were brought from refugee-camps in Jordan and Africa, etc.

Meanwhile, to deter others I would keep a group of actors on Nauru, kicking and screaming and telling horrible stories of atrocities and injustice.

This will necessarily attract every stone of condemnation - and so it should.

This is what Christian grace is all about - being good, rather than being seen as good. I hope that this is what's actually happening, but of course we will never know, nor should we.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 7 February 2016 4:54:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy