The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religion's dying swan act: secularism is banishing it from the public square > Comments

Religion's dying swan act: secularism is banishing it from the public square : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 5/1/2016

Perhaps Christianity is indeed in decline. But the decline has nothing to do with assault from without, and everything to do with unbelief from within.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
There is no problem with evil Toni. You demonstrate your love of it. Thankfully people have been given a choice to choose. Most like yourself choose arrogance and self righteousness. Unfortunately nothing new. Some choose to humble themselves most like yourself are idiotic to console yourself that you are not quite as bad as the other fellow. You live in self deception.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 January 2016 9:56:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Thankfully people have been given a choice to choose.//

Ignoring your terrible grammar: who was it that made the Garden of Eden?

God. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And who put the fruit tree in the garden and said 'Don't eat any of the fruit.'?

God. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And who said 'Go on, one little bite won't hurt you'?

Well it wasn't Adam, and there is no reason to assume it was Eve. Caine and Abel weren't around then, so we can't put it down to childish pranks. Once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. We have three possible suspects, Adam, Eve and God. We have already eliminated both Adam and Eve, which points the finger squarely at God. A simple process of deduction, working from the available evidence.

So that was God too.

Basically, it all comes back to God... he's like Professor Moriarty on a cosmic scale.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 5 January 2016 10:22:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Post Script:

Prof. James Moriarty was a clever man.

Gods preserve us from people who think they are clever men.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 5 January 2016 10:44:20 PM
Runner writes; "yes so rational ttbn that he beleives order comes from chaos, life came from non life and laws don't require a Lawmaker."

You got the first two correct runner. As for your third assertion, the rational in society insist on a lower-case initial for lawmaker.

"So rational that the scientific facts on how unhealthy the homosexual lifestyle is (not),".......

You may be contradicting yourself here. But what dreadful sentence construction! You give the impression of being angry when writing your diatribe against rationality, one might say irrationally so.

......."how badly most kids do without dads,".......This is unworthy of you, even one so given to irrational statements as you. Does your "dads" refer only to biological fathers or do you include step-fathers and fosterfathers? Please be rational and present reference to the research that supports your assertion.

....... "and the fact that many non religous parents send their kids to religous schools".......

Again, an unsupported assertion. Present reference to the research that supports your assertion.

......." One gets the feeling that Max thinks he is smart enough to be God himself not having the intelligence to realise that He is reliant upon His Creator for his next breath."

What a low opinion you have of Max. I must advise though that rather than intelligence being the faculty required to identify the source of his next breath, I would point directly to the penchant for irrational grovelling self-delusion as the source if there must be one. The rational in society, of which Max seems to be a member, have no delusions whatsoever about creators, gods, ghosts, devils and polka-dotted giraffes on the dark side of the moon runner. There is a kind of contrived non sequitur in your paragraph quoted immediately above
Posted by Pogi, Friday, 8 January 2016 5:17:02 AM
runner writes; "I know Cobber that secularism likes to keep as many people as possible in the constant state of victimhood (look at the high paid white feminist). But sorry mate you are responsible for your own lust, greeds, rapes, kiddie fiddling or whatever sins you have committed. I suggest you go to the Only One qualified to forgive you."

I love it when theists present this kind of argument. If ever there was a blatantly contrived way of praising god for all the good things and execrating society and oneself for all the bad things then the "Free Will" fantasy is it. I've asked myself for many years how a relatively intelligent and rational human could possibly believe such piffle. Obviously it sits well in the scheme of "Original Sin". How are people convinced they are in effect worthless, sinful failures, given to sin, condemned to an eternal after-life of torture and anguish? cont.......
Posted by Pogi, Friday, 8 January 2016 6:56:40 AM
........The answer is as clear as crystal. Their developing minds are abused by being inculcated with this filthy doctrine from an early age. They are taught that they are responsible for all the terrible things that happen to them and their god gets all the credit for their accomplishments and all the good things that happen to them. Case in point: In Brazil a nine-year old girl is raped by her uncle and she becomes pregnant. Parents and doctors insist that giving birth at her age would almost certainly prove fatal. The Vatican sent two priests on a holy mission to council against abortion. Fortunately they were unsuccessful and the girl's life was preserved by doctors terminating the pregnancy. The family of the girl and the medical staff who performed the termination were all excommunicated. The offending uncle was not.

Anyone who can maintain their equaninity and agree with such an obscene occurrance surely is an insult to humankind and to decency, empathy and compassion, all traits that make us human. I'm sure many readers will remember the case, it was not that long ago.

The sooner religious faith is eradicated from human society and replaced with intellectual honesty and integrity, with passionate curiosity, with self-confidence, with wonder and awe at the numinous [when interpreted as surpassing understanding or comprehension, mysterious] then we might just be qualified to impose ourselves on the Cosmos. We court disaster if we bend our knee and tearfully beg guidance from a ghost in the sky before doing anything.
Posted by Pogi, Friday, 8 January 2016 6:58:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy