The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do we have religious freedom anymore? > Comments

Do we have religious freedom anymore? : Comments

By Mike Bird, published 19/11/2015

Now 'tolerance' means that if you say anything that I find offensive, then I am fully justified in seeking punitive measures to destroy you.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Of all the beliefs you named, original sin has the most consensus among Christians. However, different Christian traditions and theologians have understood original sin in different ways. If you examined all the versions, you may still find all versions of original sin immoral - fair enough. Personally, I am morally OK with some versions of original sin. I also think that the moral acceptability of original sin depends a lot on how that particular doctrine (& version of it) relates to other doctrines (e.g. I too find original sin + predestination + eternal damnation unacceptable).

I was not suggesting you are attacking a straw man exactly... I am perfectly happy for you to criticize the (sadly) many Christians who do hold to those beliefs. My point was simply that it is not accurate to describe these as the doctrines of Christianity. Perhaps Western fundamentalist Christianity would be a better overall description of who your target is. I'm more concerned with you (and, before you, these fundamentalists) misrepresenting Christianity than with you misrepresenting me.

But since you talked about me personally: I support a version of original sin, but I do not support the other beliefs you named (penal substitution, eternal damnation, irrelevance of action, certain views of sexual morality & its importance vis-a-vis regard for the poor). In fact, I think they're all contradicted by the Bible and orthodox Christian belief. I do not need to invent my own religion to say this; it is well within the bounds of orthodox Christianity to say this. All the beliefs you named are contested within Christianity, some directly contradict standard church statements of orthodoxy, and none (except original sin) come close to unanimity in Christianity (e.g. eternal damnation has been generally accepted in Western Christianity but not Eastern; penal substitution is a modern contortion of biblical imagery and theological concepts).

I have reached my daily allotment of 4 responses to this thread.
Posted by elcalebo, Friday, 20 November 2015 2:32:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn, accurate as always sir.

Cobber the hound, oh dear, there is only one thing new here, it's that fact that communists are on the back foot. They do not enjoy the position they have had for so long.

How many religious groups want laws that enforce their world view? A, actually Australia is a Christian nation, every religion other than Christianity is illegal on Australian soil & Christian Cannon law is one of the foundation stones our constitution stands on.
Many Christians actually believe that only Christians are fit for office. So true Cobber, corruption & criminality has been rising as there have been less Christians in leadership positions.
I don't recall any major religious groups advocating the removal of laws against homosexuality for instance & quite right too, GLBT lifestyle is endangering children & should be restricted.

over to other communists to say something crazy

Chris C, the attitudes are not fascist but trotskyist & were always intended to push us backwards to a feudal system in which the 1% ruling, left wing elites control the proletariat with an iron fist, up the Kyber pass.

progressive pat, To be fair, Christians pay taxes and defined marriage 2,000 years ago. This just means that communists will need to have their own version of marriage that communes adhere to. So, perhaps to enable the living of a Communist life, communists could consider purchasing property like the Kidman cattle station or moving to China, North Korea or Cuba.

Geoff of Perth, Perhaps the Catholics are paying tax & they are fully engaged with the broader community.

Perhaps you could advise if my children are permitted to go to a Catholic school noting we are not religious? A, yes your children can attend any Christian school & receive a better education than at government schools.

As to the assertion, those communities with LGBT living in them, what a joke, all communities have "these" people in them & YOUR children are being groomed by them.

10 for effort, 10 for logic, communism really is becoming more irrelevant as the clock ticks on.
Posted by imacentristmoderate, Friday, 20 November 2015 6:50:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One wonders when the Chief Rabbi and the senior Imam will be dragged before some tribunal to answer, respectively, for the Bible's and the Qur'an's statements on homosexuality and Jewish and Muslim clerics statements on same gender marriage.

Fairs fair, and one would hope and expect that it is not sheer gutlessness that has singled out Catholicism.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 20 November 2015 7:25:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//communism really is becoming more irrelevant as the clock ticks on//

You don't say. Communism stopped being relevant when the Cold War ended. Which makes the rest of us wonder why you keep ranting about it. Have you been frozen in ice for the last 30 years or something? Communist paranoia is so 20th century. The reds have had to move out from under your bed to make room for the towelheads.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 20 November 2015 7:29:58 AM
Quite true, Toni, communism as such is irrelevant and the local Green brand is not yet irrelevant but we're working on it.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 20 November 2015 8:52:43 AM
Of course AJ quotes partial truths about CHristian doctrine in order to justify his lies. Why should we be surprised as He mis represents the Creator he rejects in order to justify his own corrupt nature.
Posted by runner, Friday, 20 November 2015 9:09:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All