The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is it time for ethnic quotas? > Comments

Is it time for ethnic quotas? : Comments

By Fotis Kapetopoulos, published 11/8/2015

As government tussles with gender representation should cultural diversity targets be on the table.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Rhorsty,
I think the push for equality has a good side and a bad side.

I liked the phrase in the article a week or so back that said something like "The worst thing about equality was to try to make unequal things equal".

Any time I hear the argument for equality I get this image in my head of a scene of a burning building, and I am needing to be rescued.

... And the 45kg firewoman who fought through the courts for equality and against discrimination appears at the top of the ladder to carry me down.

What I'm to heavy for her to carry?

In this instance did equality just get both of us killed?

What about cops?

How has equality in the police force worked out for us?

Was it better to have big strong bodied men as police or today's 'midget cops on growth hormones and associated roid rage' variety?

(no insult intended to police readers)

Do you think these new variety of police are more or less likely to shoot someone rather than arrest them?

Equality.. Sure.
I believe that everybody deserves an equal amount of opportunities to get ahead in life but some things just aren't equal to begin with.

I'm not sure that trying to make it so in every instance is a good thing.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 7:04:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ponder said;
excepting our aboriginal brothers.

Hey they are from the second wave of migrants !
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 3:44:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair Critic,

Thank you for your post. You are right of course, the extreme political correctness that is now systemic in Oz has negative consequences that are not recognised by the proponents of affirmative action and so on.

Sadly, someone close to me died while waiting for a second ambulance to assist. He was a tall and athletic man, but not overweight. He collapsed within 24 hours of discharge from hospital after a successful bowel operation. The first ambulance with male and female paramedics could not get him across the short flat distance to the vehicle because of weight handling restrictions.

The second ambulance was therefore deemed necessary for more paramedics to assist. However it was a busy night. When available it had a long way to travel across suburbs and got lost as well.

He died soon after reaching hospital from a heart failure brought on by lack of salts in the blood.

His treating doctor said later that a 'piece of garden hose up his posterior' would have solve the pseudo-fold in the colon that prevented passage and a drip in the arm of course.

An unnecessary death and many grieving.

Two ambulance men would have got him to hospital much earlier. Apart from that, think of the extra costs of having to double up on ambulances.

Regarding police, I am advised that male and female police are not prepared to grapple offenders any more. Loss of height and other previous requirements would have an effect too. However, a number of experienced policemen have also told me with conviction that they would prefer a woman officer in support over many of the 'softer' (they have a word they use) young male recruits, many of whom are frightened of their own service weapon anyhow. There are problems in how mums(dads too?) are raising men apparently.

We live in interesting times.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 4:16:43 PM
My, "someone close to me died while waiting for a second ambulance to assist" was clumsily worded and some words were clipped.

I should underline that the death occurred in hospital. Ambulance carriage problems were not the root of his problem. The ambos did what they could. However any time saved in getting to the hospital ED is always crucial.

All water under the bridge now.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 4:33:04 PM
"Two ambulance men would have got him to hospital much earlier."

So the real job requirements should not be abdicated.
If the need to lift (ambo) or restrain (police) people is part of the job, this requirement can still be met without "discrimination".

There are plenty of physically strong women out there.
Employ them, don't dilute the job requirements to employ inappropriate candidates.

There are also jobs in both services (office) that require no such stamina.
You employ the right people for the right work.

The problem with "equality/non-discrimination" is its blanket, universalist conception.

There is appropriate bias and inappropriate bias, and the laws/internal policies don't reflect this.

Re: ethnic quotas.
Do "Muslims" count as a race or a religion? I'm confused.
I keep hearing about "racism" directed towards them.
Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 8:05:22 PM
And this government too, runner...

>>Quotas produced our last Government. Enough said.<<

How else would you explain Barnaby Joyce?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 13 August 2015 5:44:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy