The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is it time for ethnic quotas? > Comments

Is it time for ethnic quotas? : Comments

By Fotis Kapetopoulos, published 11/8/2015

As government tussles with gender representation should cultural diversity targets be on the table.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Why not fill all parliamentary seats by lottery? Then every ethnic, gender and other group would have equal opportunity of representation?

Of course quality of MP might be affected, though this is also a risk if quotas are imposed.
Posted by Bren, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 10:06:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bren, I don't see a down side it's not as if the current process is producing great pollies?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 10:26:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No! Given we're all Australians, the only missing element is true equality!

Ethnic quotas would surely introduce "difference" and perceived ethnic superiority over mere common herd mediocrity!

What would follow?

That some folks with white minds, would assert that they were superior to other folk with Black, Asian or Mixed Race ones, maybe?

Time for rationality to hold sway and a merit based selection system.

The only thing that could help everyone to get a fair go here is true equality; but particularly in education, the starting point to the quality of life and its myriad opportunities!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 10:53:20 AM
There should be no quotas on gender or anything else. "Ethnic quotas" would be totally destructive, leading to even more problems than those already caused by ridiculous multiculturalism. It is hard to believe that this bloke is serious.

If you want to live in Australia, be Australian. Of all the non-Anglo politicians (I hate saying that: we all should be just 'Australians) mentioned by this character, NOT ONE could possibly be thought of as anything BUT Australian. Like all politicians, they adhere to their party line; as for independents, there is nothing "greeky" about Nick Xenephon.

When the Constitution, laws and social mores were decided on, there was a deliberate effort, by the British settlers and their locally born descendants to break away from their past to something more enlightened and fairer than they were used to. Now, it seems, newer descendants of immigrants - many of whom have never visited the lands of their fathers to see even how these countries have moved on since their parents or grandparents left - want to harp on an "identity" existing only in their own malcontented minds.

Their is nothing sadder or more ridiculous than immigrants or their locally-born offspring living in the New World, only to long for the dark past they came here to escape.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 12:41:51 PM
Rhrosty, to have equality means everyone should be placing themselves in a position whereby they are at least a chance of being treated as equal. Choosing to live in some remote location, with no real prospects of advancement are in many cases a lifestyle choice.

To choose this path, then complain about equality is the very reason so many are not heard.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 1:51:24 PM
Yes rechub, no one can hear you screaming from the vacuum of space!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 5:04:21 PM
Here's a better idea.

Only second generation Ozzies can be eligible for election to any public office.

Only locally born are eligible for any form of public employment.

At least then, most pollies & public service types will be able to speak understandable English.

Then perhaps the requirement of the ability to be able to read English road signs in order to hold a driver's licence.

Given such requirements some people might finally realise they are living in Australia.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 5:24:37 PM
Every one of us is from a migrant family excepting our aboriginal brothers. We all have histories, traditions, and cultures which shape us, but collectively we are all Australian.
Let's live and behave for today, not our history.
The renowned Chinese philosopher,Lao Tzu,summed up life neatly:
"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present".
Posted by Ponder, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 5:35:17 PM
Quotas produced our last Government. Enough said.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 7:00:27 PM
Ponder, amazing, you can't even form a sentence without contradicting yourself, you open with the premise that there is an authentic Australian type and then immediately refute it, LOL Yet you wonder why we normal people laugh at idiots like you?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 7:39:30 PM
Oh
my
God!

Please insist on this.
It will be the final nail in the coffin of this ludicrous one-world utopianism.

Representative "democracy" must DIE, DIE, DIE!

Direct democracy is the only true democracy.
Computers and the internet make it totally feasible.

Ask "the people" with a plebiscite and see what answer you get.
I doubt they'd support most of the pushy demands of utopian activists.
Posted by Shockadelic, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 8:37:01 PM
The first thing I want to point out is that the push for more female representation in Parliament is not necessarily an Australian idea.

I don't have an issue with women being more evenly represented but I do have an issue with political parties blatently pushing UN policies like we don't have a mind of our own.

Go have a look, tell me I'm wrong. I dare you.

Our politicians dictating foreign or global agendas bothers me.

Do they represent us or the UN??
If they are working on behalf of the UN, then maybe the UN should start paying them instead of us.

As for wanting more women in Parliament, well they are pretty stupid giving teenage women the baby bonus if they want them to become politicians.
Do they want more babies or female politicians?
You can't have your cake and eat it too you legislative morons.

Now although I don't have an issue with equal female representation in Parliament, the thing that has just sent alarm bells ringing is any effort to dilute democracy.

How do they intend to steer us towards this goal of theirs?

Will better qualified male candidates be pushed aside?

This is just a stupid UN policy being pushed on us.
Because as far as I can see, we've had a female PM, female Speaker of Parliament, female Foreign Minister, female Governor General and some of the states have had female Premiers.

How have they fared?

As far as I can see women already have every opportunity to become leaders if they choose to.

Ultimately I want the best person to govern, and whether that person happens to be a man or a woman doesn't bother me.

Does forcing this change improve democracy or dilute it?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 6:41:34 AM
Rhorsty,
I think the push for equality has a good side and a bad side.

I liked the phrase in the article a week or so back that said something like "The worst thing about equality was to try to make unequal things equal".

Any time I hear the argument for equality I get this image in my head of a scene of a burning building, and I am needing to be rescued.

... And the 45kg firewoman who fought through the courts for equality and against discrimination appears at the top of the ladder to carry me down.

What I'm to heavy for her to carry?

In this instance did equality just get both of us killed?

What about cops?

How has equality in the police force worked out for us?

Was it better to have big strong bodied men as police or today's 'midget cops on growth hormones and associated roid rage' variety?

(no insult intended to police readers)

Do you think these new variety of police are more or less likely to shoot someone rather than arrest them?

Equality.. Sure.
I believe that everybody deserves an equal amount of opportunities to get ahead in life but some things just aren't equal to begin with.

I'm not sure that trying to make it so in every instance is a good thing.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 7:04:07 AM
Ponder said;
excepting our aboriginal brothers.

Hey they are from the second wave of migrants !
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 3:44:27 PM
Armchair Critic,

Thank you for your post. You are right of course, the extreme political correctness that is now systemic in Oz has negative consequences that are not recognised by the proponents of affirmative action and so on.

Sadly, someone close to me died while waiting for a second ambulance to assist. He was a tall and athletic man, but not overweight. He collapsed within 24 hours of discharge from hospital after a successful bowel operation. The first ambulance with male and female paramedics could not get him across the short flat distance to the vehicle because of weight handling restrictions.

The second ambulance was therefore deemed necessary for more paramedics to assist. However it was a busy night. When available it had a long way to travel across suburbs and got lost as well.

He died soon after reaching hospital from a heart failure brought on by lack of salts in the blood.

His treating doctor said later that a 'piece of garden hose up his posterior' would have solve the pseudo-fold in the colon that prevented passage and a drip in the arm of course.

An unnecessary death and many grieving.

Two ambulance men would have got him to hospital much earlier. Apart from that, think of the extra costs of having to double up on ambulances.

Regarding police, I am advised that male and female police are not prepared to grapple offenders any more. Loss of height and other previous requirements would have an effect too. However, a number of experienced policemen have also told me with conviction that they would prefer a woman officer in support over many of the 'softer' (they have a word they use) young male recruits, many of whom are frightened of their own service weapon anyhow. There are problems in how mums(dads too?) are raising men apparently.

We live in interesting times.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 4:16:43 PM
My, "someone close to me died while waiting for a second ambulance to assist" was clumsily worded and some words were clipped.

I should underline that the death occurred in hospital. Ambulance carriage problems were not the root of his problem. The ambos did what they could. However any time saved in getting to the hospital ED is always crucial.

All water under the bridge now.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 4:33:04 PM
"Two ambulance men would have got him to hospital much earlier."

So the real job requirements should not be abdicated.
If the need to lift (ambo) or restrain (police) people is part of the job, this requirement can still be met without "discrimination".

There are plenty of physically strong women out there.
Employ them, don't dilute the job requirements to employ inappropriate candidates.

There are also jobs in both services (office) that require no such stamina.
You employ the right people for the right work.

The problem with "equality/non-discrimination" is its blanket, universalist conception.

There is appropriate bias and inappropriate bias, and the laws/internal policies don't reflect this.

Re: ethnic quotas.
Do "Muslims" count as a race or a religion? I'm confused.
I keep hearing about "racism" directed towards them.
Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 8:05:22 PM
And this government too, runner...

>>Quotas produced our last Government. Enough said.<<

How else would you explain Barnaby Joyce?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 13 August 2015 5:44:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy