The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is it time for ethnic quotas? > Comments

Is it time for ethnic quotas? : Comments

By Fotis Kapetopoulos, published 11/8/2015

As government tussles with gender representation should cultural diversity targets be on the table.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Here's a better idea.

Only second generation Ozzies can be eligible for election to any public office.

Only locally born are eligible for any form of public employment.

At least then, most pollies & public service types will be able to speak understandable English.

Then perhaps the requirement of the ability to be able to read English road signs in order to hold a driver's licence.

Given such requirements some people might finally realise they are living in Australia.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 5:24:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Every one of us is from a migrant family excepting our aboriginal brothers. We all have histories, traditions, and cultures which shape us, but collectively we are all Australian.
Let's live and behave for today, not our history.
The renowned Chinese philosopher,Lao Tzu,summed up life neatly:
"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present".
Posted by Ponder, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 5:35:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quotas produced our last Government. Enough said.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 7:00:27 PM
Ponder, amazing, you can't even form a sentence without contradicting yourself, you open with the premise that there is an authentic Australian type and then immediately refute it, LOL Yet you wonder why we normal people laugh at idiots like you?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 7:39:30 PM
Oh
my
God!

Please insist on this.
It will be the final nail in the coffin of this ludicrous one-world utopianism.

Representative "democracy" must DIE, DIE, DIE!

Direct democracy is the only true democracy.
Computers and the internet make it totally feasible.

Ask "the people" with a plebiscite and see what answer you get.
I doubt they'd support most of the pushy demands of utopian activists.
Posted by Shockadelic, Tuesday, 11 August 2015 8:37:01 PM
The first thing I want to point out is that the push for more female representation in Parliament is not necessarily an Australian idea.

I don't have an issue with women being more evenly represented but I do have an issue with political parties blatently pushing UN policies like we don't have a mind of our own.

Go have a look, tell me I'm wrong. I dare you.

Our politicians dictating foreign or global agendas bothers me.

Do they represent us or the UN??
If they are working on behalf of the UN, then maybe the UN should start paying them instead of us.

As for wanting more women in Parliament, well they are pretty stupid giving teenage women the baby bonus if they want them to become politicians.
Do they want more babies or female politicians?
You can't have your cake and eat it too you legislative morons.

Now although I don't have an issue with equal female representation in Parliament, the thing that has just sent alarm bells ringing is any effort to dilute democracy.

How do they intend to steer us towards this goal of theirs?

Will better qualified male candidates be pushed aside?

This is just a stupid UN policy being pushed on us.
Because as far as I can see, we've had a female PM, female Speaker of Parliament, female Foreign Minister, female Governor General and some of the states have had female Premiers.

How have they fared?

As far as I can see women already have every opportunity to become leaders if they choose to.

Ultimately I want the best person to govern, and whether that person happens to be a man or a woman doesn't bother me.

Does forcing this change improve democracy or dilute it?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 12 August 2015 6:41:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy