The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Male champions of change > Comments

Male champions of change : Comments

By Sarah Russell, published 24/4/2015

The aim of 'Male Champions of Change' is for men in positions of power to advance gender equality. Let's hope they have more luck than women have had in that task.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 39
  10. 40
  11. 41
  12. All
There is a book title Venus; the dark side.

Written by Mary T Cleary.

Now Suzie please note that the above author is FEMALE!

She is FEMALE, understand a female wrote this book, not a male, but a female.

A female author is someone of your own gender. Susie. et al.

Have I read this book?

No! I haven't and I really truly do not want too. It some times pays to be naive and as a bloke the vast majority of covert communication and behaviours just go right past me and over my head.
Posted by Wolly B, Friday, 24 April 2015 4:37:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, there is no indiction that Ken Lay hates men or anyone else. However, David Morrison's manner of delivery on TV and his fierce visage suggests that he hates EVERYBODY.

This supposed 'hatred' of women just because they want 'equality' is a load of rubbish. You are either EQUAL to the task, or you are not. More men than not have crappy jobs too.

Never thought that it might be the obnoxious, individual harpies you allow to harangue us, ladies? There is certanly equality between women and men went it comes finding individuals who get peoples' backs up as soon as the open their mouths.

Anyway, What has domestic violence to do with 'equality'. It sounds if the missus wants equal rights to pop the old man in the mouth (which many of them probably do).

Domestic violence is firmly in the area of criminal activity, and should be dealt with as a crime.

In the workplace, the women with what it takes are already in place; and the girls about to enter the workforce who show that they have what it takes will be up there with them. Those who don't make it should start looking at themselves, and stop blaming men for their own inadequacies. Fat chance, of course. Whingers are whingers, male or female.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 24 April 2015 5:20:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One in three misinformation:
http://www.oneinthree.com.au/misinformation/

OTB,
I've worked in male dominated industries since I was 15, I can recall only one conversation in the smoko shed where a man openly talked about being violent with his partner and he was moaning about spending a night in the cells for punching a hole in the wall above her head when they were both drunk and going at it. If some men are violent with their female partners they don't talk about it in polite company, so trying to shift responsibility for prevention of violence against women on to all men then shaming them when such initiatives fail says more about Feminism than it does men in general.
Feminists might imagine that work sites and public bars are where men really let loose and show their "true feelings" but that's no the case, in my experience men rarely discuss their problems at all and something like domestic violence would never be talked about except in general terms.
Again, that's where Feminists have painted themselves into a corner with their false portrayal (or complete misunderstanding) of Men and what it means to be a man.
Men who are violent in the home are degenerates, this idea that violence occurs in so called "good homes" and can be perpetrated by "good men" is blatant BS, if violence is occurring in the home it's clearly not a "good home" and he's not a "good man". Bad men can't hide their true nature from good men and contrary to what Feminists will say the vast majority of us love our wives and girlfriends and would never lay a finger on them and we don't tolerate much less enable the degenerates who do lay into their women. Violent degenerates have to hide their nature from the majority of men, there's a limit to what can be achieved by urging us to confront suspected abusers who will obviously deny any wrongdoing.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 24 April 2015 6:47:41 PM
Sorry, that last paragraph doesn't make sense, what I'm saying is that a violent degenerate can't be a wolf in sheep's clothing in a group of ordinary men, we can tell more or less straight away so such men will as best they can try to hide their true nature and for the most part they avoid us altogether. Even so, what are we supposed to do based on nothing more than a suspicion when even the Police need solid facts to take action? Feminists seem to want lynch mobs and anti DV vigilantism, which is typical of "progressives" these days.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 24 April 2015 7:10:06 PM
Dear Sarah,

Your article contains a number of errors about the One in Three Campaign. You claim that we "conflate ABS statistics to claim one male is killed every 10 days by a woman partner".

Firstly, homicide statistics aren't collected by the ABS, they are collected by the AIC's National Homicide Monitoring Program. We have never referenced the ABS.

Secondly, we have never made the claim made in your article. Please have a look at our website or do a Google search. We claim (quite accurately) that "75 males were killed in domestic homicide incidents between 2008-10. This equates to one death every 10 days." We have never claimed that the perpetrators were woman partners. We are quite aware of the correct statistics.

Our Campaign exists to advocate for male victims of FAMILY violence, not just intimate partner violence. It doesn't matter whether these men and boys were killed by women, other men, partners or other family members. They are still dead. We need to reduce these tragic and unneccesary deaths, along with the violence and abuse that precipitates them.

Many members of One in Three are victims/survivors of family violence. To call them "well off under the existing order of things" is insulting.
Posted by One in Three Campaign, Friday, 24 April 2015 11:29:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dr Russell, do you think you could expand on what you mean when you use the term "gender equality"?

Let me explain why I ask.

I am a man of 51 who is currently enrolled at Griffith University studying for a degree in electronic engineering. I am a single father of a 17 year old son and I have an 18 year old daughter who lives with her mother, who works for the Qld Health Department as a social worker.

When we divorced, I was in the first year of studying for a degree in engineering which I had interrupted to move from WA to Qld. After the divorce, I was told by the CSA that I had a "capacity to earn" that I must exercise, so continuing study was simply not an option. However, my (by this time ex-) wife, who had been working full time in WA, that same as I had been, was not subject to this ruling and was in fact subsidised by Centrelink to go to university to study for the degree which is now the basis for her employment.

I won't go into some of the more personal aspects of the next 14 years, but now I am finally able to continue the project of procuring the education I set out to achieve nearly 16 years ago. The only reason it has taken so long is because of the gross gender discrimination I experienced as a man at the hands of Government organisations, including Qld Legal Aid, the Child Support Agency and relatively recently, Centrelink.

I am now a very unusual undergraduate, as a man of middle years. There are quite a few women of a similar age on campus and on some campuses a great many, but never very many men. It's not the uni's fault, I've never felt in any way discriminated against because of my age, but it is a fact.

Is that equality?
Posted by Craig Minns, Saturday, 25 April 2015 9:57:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 39
  10. 40
  11. 41
  12. All