The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does the not-for-profit sector truly aim to assist people with disabilities? > Comments

Does the not-for-profit sector truly aim to assist people with disabilities? : Comments

By Peter Gibilisco, published 13/3/2015

Managerial policies can devalue, and further disempower, the lives of people with physical disabilities by regulating different kinds of support by reference to a generic 'disabled' category.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
We are fortunate to have someone of Peter's intellect telling it like it is with the benefit of lived experience. This article is topical with the advent of the NDIS. What are "reasonable" supports and how can this be quantified? Will providers be forced to mismatch residents and compromise care to make the dollars go round? Has the average citizen any idea about the cost of caring for a high needs person? In this instance, it is a ratio of four carers to seven clients. Reports from NDIS trial sites are talking of packages in the $30,000 -$40,000pa range. This would last about two months in Peter's house. Do we as a community value Peter and all the others like him enough to ensure that he is sensitively cared for long term? And that all the carers doing a job that many of us would not do are adequately paid and not overworked?
Posted by estelles, Friday, 13 March 2015 12:19:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good questions; and why we need a model that places all the available funding in the hands of intended recipients, rather than so called providers!

Be they not for profit or not! And those truly not or profit organisations collecting the bulk of this money, would find it a nice change from having to fund their services/charity, with endless chook raffles and tins shaken furiously under captive money trees/mug noses!

And all too often when you're just trying to wind down with a quiet beer with a mate, at the end of an unusually trying day!

Now there's a can I'd like to kick a little further down the road; to, say the local coffee shop, and large ladies chomping on cream buns! [The very nerve! how rude!]

I suppose one and two cent pieces are still legal tender; or worth the trouble and effort? I've got hundreds of them!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 13 March 2015 12:39:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well it does at the very least provide a rational explanation they can rely upon for justifying the billions of dollars in corporate subsidies they have accrued since the establishment of the colony here in Australia.

We have the most profitable religious and charitable organisations in the world, and the poorest and most destitute indigenous population as well. What else has to said?
Posted by Chicane, Friday, 13 March 2015 7:03:34 PM
It would be nice for Peter to say thanks to all those who contribute taxes to his support, before bitching they do not pay enough.

I do get sick of seeing people who are never going to repay their HEX debt using the education budget "just for fun".
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 14 March 2015 10:33:39 AM
The Charities and not for profit are mostly conning the public.

As an organization they may not be making a visible monetary profit but they are setup so most of the money they receive is paid to senior staff or the people who setup the organization.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 15 March 2015 11:36:32 AM
I found it really upsetting that you discriminated against another person because you didn't like their type of disability. I do understand that you have high care needs that you were concerned would be compromised, but this isn't the fault of the other person seeking help. Maybe the real issue is that you need to advocate for more staff. I have a psychosocial disability and I have often been discriminated against because I don't have the right type of disability. I have been turned away from services and my needs gone unmet because there isn't a service out their for me. If people with disabilities do not band together to support each other things will only get worse.
Posted by magiccat, Monday, 16 March 2015 11:44:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy