The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Carnival of capital punishment for Bali Nine > Comments

Carnival of capital punishment for Bali Nine : Comments

By Duncan Graham, published 3/3/2015

The posters were the giveaway. Professionally produced with near perfect English, some almost works of art, showing Tony Abbott sprouting horns above the caption: ‘Go to hell Abbott with your druggies’.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Two points -

Does anyone truly believe that Sukamaran and Chan, the leaders of an international drug trafficking business with connections and imports from Hong Kong, would have rehabilitated or found God if they had been arrested and sentenced to 10 years in an Australian prison?

To anyone who thinks the death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent look at Iran in the late 60's. After announcing drug traffickers will be executed on the spot, at the border and following through, smartass European drug smugglers gave Iran a wide berth overnight.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Wednesday, 4 March 2015 4:15:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Ojnab,
No I am not a meth user nor have I ever been. I am not part of the educated elite, although I am well educated. I do not vote green. In fact in most areas I am very conservative. However, I don't believe the state has any role in determining what individual citizens can eat drink smoke or inject into their veins. That includes things which might be harmful for them.
Clearly you feel the government should decide what choices you make when it comes to intoxicants, and even feel that killing people is a good way ensure people make healthy choices. Clearly you believe the government is in a better position than you are to determine what choices you should make. I suggest you grow a little self respect and take the plunge and make your own decisions. Even better though would be keeping your nose out of other peoples health and lifestyle decisions.
As far as your assertion that no advanced society has ever contemplated legalising drugs. This is just absurd. All drugs were perfectly legal until the early to mid 20th century. Of course levels of addiction were just the same as they are today. The difference was that drugs were less potent, no criminals were involved in the distribution, prices were much lower so no-one needed to inject them and also due to the low prices there was no property crime associated with addiction. Why would you care if someone wants to spend their days lying around in a drug induced haze. I certainly don't. What I do care about is that they don't steal my stuff to pay criminals for artificially expensive drugs.
Rather than just spouting your ignorant and brutal solution to what should merely be a minor health issue, why don't you do some reading and really find out the effects of prohibition.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Wednesday, 4 March 2015 7:19:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Rhys it's really nice of you to keep Ojnab in your mind but as I am only a general writer and not an analizing one I think you may have got me mixed up with another writer if so, all is forgiven, Ojnab rarely goes into hours and hours of looking up information on Google, too busy playing golf, but then if you still think it was me I most certainlay have advanced my knowledge on the subject.
I seem to live in a confused state of mind,Tony is doing his best to save the Bali drug pair by firing squad, but then sends three hundred extra troops to Iraq who also may be subject to any sort of firing squad while there, if you are so worried about the drug mules surely you must be worried about the young men you are sending off to be perhaps killed, but then that is war, isn't it, I must stop looking at things both ways it doesn't help my golf.
Posted by Ojnab, Wednesday, 4 March 2015 7:59:09 PM
So sorry Ojnab. That should have been directed at LEGO. As far as Sending troops of to kill people on the other side of the world, I certainly don't support that. Not only for the sake of the lives of our soldiers, but also for the sakes of the people they will kill and also for the sake of my fellow Australians who will be killed in retaliation for us sending people to kill people who have done us no harm. So about the unwieldy language.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Thursday, 5 March 2015 1:54:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy