The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Same but different: Bali Nine and children in detention > Comments

Same but different: Bali Nine and children in detention : Comments

By Virginia Small, published 2/3/2015

Mr Abbott said the Human Rights Commission should be ashamed of itself for releasing the report because it was an attack on his government.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
An interesting article, Virginia, thank you. Semantics and more broadly, semiotics are a vital topic if we want to understand the ways that humans construct their own realities.

Wittgenstein, in his Tractatus, argued that meaning is inextricably linked to the form of the words, or in other words, that what you see is what you get. After another 20 years of thinking about the subject he completely reversed himself in his Philosophical Investigations, arguing that meaning is constructed within the context of the reader/listener (social, emotional, cultural, etc) and the words themselves are not the context-free information carriers that Bertrand Russell had tried to treat them as.

Umberto Maturana went on to develop the idea, developing the idea of "languaging", which is the process of developing a shared understanding between sender and receiver and is at the heart of the idea of "branding".

The media, as you would already know from your experience as a journalist, is expert at such languaging, as are our politically-employed journalists and the political apparatchiks that they work with.

Unfortunately, the media is not driven by ethical principles, as an experience I have had with the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (the journalists Union) showed me. In fact, despite trumpeting such principles loudly, they are often honoured more in the breach. As a result, the expedience of the moment (who's paying the bill for the story) is often the only guide that media organisations follow and they can be enormously destructive as a result.

The idea of the press as the guardians of liberty in a democracy is sadly, long gone.
Posted by Craig Minns, Monday, 2 March 2015 9:02:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Virginia,

Your ABC training shines out. You misquote Abbott and then lambast him for your words.

Mr Abbott did not say that the Human Rights Commission should be ashamed of itself for releasing the report because it was an attack on his government, rather that its delay was done deliberately to avoid embarrassing Labor prior to the election and as such was a purely politically partisan action for which she should be ashamed.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 2 March 2015 1:22:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What rubbish Shadow Minister!
Abbott is a disgrace as a PM as you well know.
He has had one gaffe after another, so I certainly believe the Human Rights Commission version of events than his.

I also bet that if the Commissioner was a man, there would not have been such a nasty reaction to the truth the commission revealed about the children in detention.

As far as the Bali Nine duo go, Abbott well and truly sealed their execution by insulting the Indonesians in such a stupid way.
He needs to go.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 2 March 2015 4:04:51 PM
well I suppose the abc/regressives swore black and blue the carbon tax could not be scrapped and the boats could not be stopped. Their ingrain hatred of Abbott is now dressed in compassion for the 200 children in detention. They were silent when their was 2000 children and many drownings but that regressive politics. No wonder anyone half interested in the truth will not be lectured by hypocrites.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 March 2015 7:01:04 PM
"They were silent when their was 2000 children and many drownings but that regressive politics"

I think you have that seriously wrong. Many so called progressives were voicing their strong objections to Labor's policies.

What they have failed to do is come up with viable proposals to both limit the number of irregular boat arrivals (or whatever set of words people would prefer to apply) and meet humanitarian concerns.

There may not be good answers to that particular conflict.

I'm not a fan of the detention approach, I'd much rather TPV's combined with conditions of stay and measures that were designed to provide better overall outcomes than what we currently do.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 2 March 2015 7:42:50 PM
What sort of people are those held in detention that they would assault, sexually molest and cause extreme levels of physical, emotional, psychological and developmental distress to the children who travelled with them and in some cases are their own?

It cannot be said that the children are in worse physical conditions than some in the Australian community, the difference is the predatory and uncaring behaviour of the people they are with, their own people.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 9:44:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy