The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death for drugs? > Comments

Death for drugs? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 16/2/2015

Moreover, what they were doing, had they been successful, would have caused a great deal of unhappiness, and almost certainly death, to people in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
Ojnab,

You would be better off directing your questions to someone else. I was simply questioning a statement.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 19 February 2015 11:13:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ojnab

If life is so precious, the ALP also has blood on their hands by letting 1200 asylum seekers drown.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 19 February 2015 2:15:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there OJNAB...

What exactly are you saying ? That by executing these two, amounts to a 'war crime' ? The crimes these two have been convicted, are hardly that of being 'anti-social' either. Unless of course you're saying that it may well be anti-social if one wished to extrapolate it's literal meaning as broadly as possible ? They, together with their other seven confederates possessed a serious amount of heroin, that would have brought them considerable amount of profit had they managed to get it into Australia ?

Had they been apprehended in most other western nations, they would be facing some very serious gaol time. Moreover, if caught in other S.E. Asian countries, they'd be most likely, confronting mandatory execution as well ? No doubt they're in a real mess, and I don't have an ounce of compassion for either of them, but I am opposed to the death penalty nevertheless !

Any real compassion must be consigned to their families. Both of which must be going through a living hell. And it's typical of Indonesia to play havoc with their emotions, by perpetuating this prevailing climate of, 'the unknown' ? No firm dates have been given, other than the knowledge that normal Indonesian practice for an execution, is a very short 72 hours only ?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Indonesians hate us, always have, always will ! In 1964/65 I was involved in the 'Indonesian Confrontation' in Malaya & Borneo. Those Indonesian troops we'd captured, made their sentiments known to both us and the British Army, in who's company we were in operations with. Their sentiments were abundantly unequivocal. They believed we white foreigners were weak, without any spine to fight them ? Worst still, they did not respect us at all ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 19 February 2015 2:40:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No O sung Wu it is not a war crime., what one tries to point out is that killing is killing,. Some interpret writings in different ways to the meaning that was written Abbott must not antagonise Indonesia, we could be overrun in one night while we all slept, they have the means of doing so, tread carefully with diplomatic relations.with them
Personally, although not liking the death penalty, these two knew what they were doing in the first place, we do not know the complete story with the families of them, wealth if successful could have been evenly distributed with all. The whole Corby family were involved in one way or another, we can all put on the tears in front of cameras, we did not know, but did we? they know the answer to that, because lies are the order of the day now it is hard to know which is fact or fiction.
I remember the drama that was going on with Barlow and Chambers some years ago, Mrs Barlow was very vocal that her son should not be killed, but he was.
Indonesia has already executed drug traffickers, it would make a mockery of the whole thing if they let two Australians off, what about the others to be shot the same day or night, they are human beings also, once you start something it would be very hard to change the rules.now, but who knows.
Posted by Ojnab, Thursday, 19 February 2015 5:26:01 PM
Hi there OJNAB...

You're spot on with your opinion concerning antagonising the Indonesians. One thing Asians do not like, that's 'loosing face', or being lectured too. Make no mistake, we need Indonesia more than they need us. They could just as easy source many of their goods and technologies from Japan or South Korea even China.

Geographically we have the benefit of being relatively close to them so it makes good logistic sense, as well as quality assurance, by them sourcing much of their food requirements from us - still we're not speaking about trade and other issues herein are we ?

These two will be executed. Most definitely. Any doubt was removed by the unintended but totally innocent remark made by PM ABBOTT, concerning the generous donations we've made, whenever various climatic events have destroyed much of their coastal infrastructure. They would perceive it as throwing it back in their faces as it were. Diplomatically, he made a grave error, though quite innocently, nevertheless an error as far as the Indonesians are concerned. Again, they DO NOT like to loose face, under any circumstances !

As far as Ms CORBY is concerned, personally I think she was more or less an unwitting player in the scheme of things ? I don't believe the lady is particularly smart, quite the reverse if think, so given she's not up to much personal plotting I think she's really just an unwitting mule of sorts, probably for her family member(s) perhaps ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 19 February 2015 7:40:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"One example is David Hicks, who should have been executed for his treason. Everybody knows that Hicks is a traitor and a self admitted terrorist, but legal manoeuvring means that he can now claim he is innocent of anything."

Not a good example because he was in fact not guilty of breaking any laws, Australian or American.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 19 February 2015 7:55:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11