The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death for drugs? > Comments

Death for drugs? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 16/2/2015

Moreover, what they were doing, had they been successful, would have caused a great deal of unhappiness, and almost certainly death, to people in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
LEGO,

I’ve already explained the Watson saga. The US National Association of Coloured People were wasting their time. We already know that there is no one crime gene and that there is a link between genetics and crime, but not without environmental factors to determine whether (infinite combinations of) genes will manifest as criminogenic, productive, or benign (and this is one discovery that has debunked racism). This is why we can’t “genetically eradicate those humans most prone to the most violent anti social behaviour”. We would have to kill everyone.

I’ve already warned you of the perils of measuring IQ too, but since you mention it. African American IQs, on average, are increasing (with equality, mind you) at a faster rate than caucasian American IQs. At the current rate, they’ll be smarter than whites within several of generations. What will be of your racial theories then?

<<I have already explained ... that making punishments incrementally more severe for proscribed behaviour, does at as a deterrent for most people.>>

And I’ve already explained that the severity has a statistically in significant effect on deterrence. This is because people tend to misjudge the risk of getting caught. Furthermore, people who commit crimes have been found to disproportionately focus on the rewards over the risk. For these reasons, certainty of punishment is more effective. Swiftness is also more effective as a ‘specific deterrence’ (you can look that one up yourself) because the longer the length of time between a criminal act and the punishment, the less likely an offender is to associate the punishment with the crime.

I could refer you to the data on this but, as usual, you won’t look at it.

<<Most people can understand this simple concept, why can't you?>>

Most people could also see that the earth was flat once too.

<<Any argument to the contrary, usually entails the usual "blame the white guys for everything" excuse, which is itself a racist premise.>>

It doesn’t matter what colour either party is. We see this with white minorities and majorities in Europe.

You’re just repeating your old arguments now.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 21 February 2015 8:02:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee, Craig Minns. Unable to respond intelligently to my last post to you, except tossing in a sneery one liner, you are now trying bad poetry.

I can do better than that. Here is Tom Lehrer.

Oh, we are the folk song army
Everyone of us cares
We all hate poverty, war, and injustice
Unlike the rest of you squares

There are innocuous pop songs, yeah
But we regard them with scorn
The folks who sing them have no social conscience
Why they could't care if "Jimmy crack corn."

If you feel dissatisfaction
strung your frustrations away
Some people may prefer action
But gimme a folk song, any old day.

The tune don't have to be clever
And it doesn't matter if you stick a couple of sentences into one line.
It sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English
And it don't even gotta rhyme.

Remember the war against Franco?
That's the kind of place each of us belongs
Though he may have won all the battles
We had all the good songs.

So, join in the folk song army
Guitars are the weapons we bring
To the fight against poverty, war, and injustice
Ready, aim, sing.
Posted by LEGO, Saturday, 21 February 2015 8:16:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Gee, Craig Minns"

And what's your name, old man? Oh, the bravery of being out of range; the vicarious thrill of watching others do your dirty work.

Could you even hold a rifle up any more, old man?

Does the recoil remind you
Remind you of sex
Old man what the hell you gonna kill next
Old timer who you gonna kill next
Posted by Craig Minns, Saturday, 21 February 2015 9:31:36 AM
Mentioned in the media this morning, why isn't Abbott jumping up and down about executions in two of his most loved countries the USA and Saudie Arabia, typical of everything now, look one way and never the other way, Indonesia bad, bad and bad, the USA , let's not rock the boat, so OK, OK, and OK, hypocrites abound. One wonders if these two drug mules were found guilty in the USA and were to be exterminated possibly nothing would be said or done, can't upset our allies can we, it is a one eyed society.
Although as mentioned I do not like the death penalty in what ever country it is allowed, I do wish Indonesia would get it over with one way or the other, then let Women's Day and TV networks fork out thousands of dollars to relatives to tell how their sons were such good people and were coaxed into the drug trade by unscrupulous people, even if we knew what they were doing, sob, sob.
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 21 February 2015 10:02:15 AM
Hi there LEGO...

Thank you for your response. I don't know much about Chris KYLIE, other than he was a much acclaimed military sniper in Iraq (I think?). Apparently, he'd admitted when questioned, that his killing of armed individuals in a war zone had little psychological impact upon him personally, during his military deployment ? Of course I can't comment, nor can I get inside his head.

In 1986 I trained as a Sniper, with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, in the United States. Part of that training included the psychological impact of 'making the shot' as it's described. Of course there's little comparison to be made between law enforcement marksmanship, and military sniping. Fortunately, I've never been called upon to 'make the shot'. Could I do so, I honestly don't know ?

I've had other 'FIRST HAND' experiences in taking life. I have no idea what Chris KYLIE felt like, after his first 'result', but after the dust settled, mine it hit me like the proverbial freight train ! Even worse for me, it was no means the last. Now nearly fifty years on, I remember vividly many of the circumstances arising out of the whole sorry mess. Obviously Chris KYLIE is made of much sterner stuff than me, a much tougher bloke by all accounts ? Well wherever the truth may lie as to my level of courage and my conscience, I'll defer absolutely to the 'steel' Mr KYLIE has running through his veins ?

I still don't resile from my position for a moment, no government has the moral right to ask any individual, to legally 'put to death' another human being for a crime against society. It's morally reprehensible. Moreover if it's the wish of the presiding government that certain crimes attract and deserve capital punishment, then let a member of that government officiate at each and every execution !
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 21 February 2015 12:36:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suppose that its now beside the point that
one of the suspected "King Pins" behind the Bali 9
drug mules is free and living a life of luxury in
Australia. What I don't understand is why the
Australian Federal Police did not follow the Bali
9 back into this country, and wait until they made their
delivery, then arrest the "King Pins" really responsible
for the drug trade. We're told that the Bali 9, were
questioned by the Australian Federal Police - and they
stated they could not give out any information without
risking the lives of their families. However, the Federal
Police could have simply allowed the Bali 9, to come back
here and followed them until they delivered the goods.

We wouldn't have the current situation we have today.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 21 February 2015 2:03:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13