The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The bush betrayed > Comments

The bush betrayed : Comments

By Jack Wilkie-Jans, published 9/12/2014

The National Party is but a shadow of its former self and essentially a cheer-squad nowadays for the Liberal party, playing not much more than a symbolic role within the Coalition.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Essentially correct Jack; and because farmers' co-ops (Liberals' enemies) keep them and their rural communities, alive and well, if not prosperous!

There was a time when the bush was largely recession proof, always providing there was decent rain, sooner or later!
There was a floor under most rural commodities, and therefore "our bank" willing to take a calculated risk!
And all gone like the wind, and on the Nats' watch!

We see today, whole rural communities all but emptied out ghost towns.
With their banks closed, schools abandoned, and empty shop fronts for rent or for sale; and regardless of good bad or indifferent weather!
And where the passing trade just keeps on passing!

And where were the nats while this was happening, or four Q'ld Farmers suiciding every week?

Rolling over and begging for a tummy rub, when what was really required; was crossing the floor or better yet, tearing up the coalition agreement and preferential preferencing, that would have left the liberals in semi permanent opposition; and during the time when they did their very worst work to the bush?

And now want to wind back/up things like the NBN, that would have rescued much of it!

To say (trust me I'm a politician) that you have your fights behind closed doors means little; given the patent endless defeats and or bush killing outcomes!

Better we still had a fiery black Jack Lang, ready willing and able to tear up the coalition agreement in a heartbeat, and in so doing, give themselves and other similarly disposed politicians, the virtual balance of power in most governments (both houses) since WW11!

The Nats can't serve two masters; there used to be but one result for betrayal, and it should still stand! Tar, feathers and a rail!

Every party needs some time in the political wilderness, if only to make these "Representatives" understand that we elect them and they represent us!

And if they fail their employer's expectations, then they should be moved on just as promptly and emphatically, as any bone lazy; excuse making, lay-a bout cowhand!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 10:25:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have just one advice for you, Jack:

If you are indeed a Bush party, then change that 'N' into a 'B'.

I support the bush - but I'll never support the disease of nationalism in any shape or form. So please drop that silly name and declare gaily: "We are the Bush party, We are the B's - Back to Basics!"

Good Luck!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 12:16:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The obvious omission from this article is a demographic one: 'the bush' now houses a much smaller proportion of Australia's population than it did fifty years ago -- and that proportion is continuing to dwindle over time.
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 20 December 2014 3:18:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy