The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How Netanyahu committed political suicide > Comments

How Netanyahu committed political suicide : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 8/12/2014

Netanyahu really believes that he has been ordained to pursue this 'sacred mission' to shape Israel's destiny regardless of any domestic or international opposition.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
'Netanyahu is motivated by a narrow religious conviction that bequeaths the "Land of Israel" in perpetuity to the Jewish people, which requires no evidence to prove its correctness'

This is simply not true. The destruction of the Second Temple has long been interpreted as Gods punishment because of Jewish sin. God never invited Jews back. There is no theological reason at all for a Jewish state. Even religious Jews, the Haridi, see Israel as a disaster.

'Netanyahu and his cohorts not only give rise to anti-Semitism but give anti-Semites all the ammunition they need to justify their anti-Israeli sentiments and acts of violence against Jews nearly everywhere.'

How can you argue that Israel is a racist state that discriminates against Palestinians but then accuse people who oppose this as antisemitic?

There are some big inconsistencies in this piece but I have to say it's refreshing to read something less extreme than the hate speech regularly posted here by David Singer.
Posted by dane, Monday, 8 December 2014 10:45:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Dane,

<<The destruction of the Second Temple has long been interpreted as Gods punishment because of Jewish sin. God never invited Jews back. There is no theological reason at all for a Jewish state. Even religious Jews, the Haridi, see Israel as a disaster.>>

For your information, this was in fact theologically disputed by Rabbi Kook, the big guru of the Jewish settlers, who based on the biblical Song of Songs, developed the doctrine of "Kol Dodi Dofek" (the sound of my lover knocking), whereby the lover, God, is knocking on the door of His beloved Israel, which only needs to open a slit for God to open it wide and enter.

Regarding the article, I just hope and pray it isn't too late: many good people have already left Israel so they cannot vote, while many bad people have been ideologically procreating like rabbits.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 12:41:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article like many criticizes the proposed bill but has author of article actually seen the bill? This line suggests to me he has not>>

"By merely introducing such a bill, Netanyahu has already rendered the greatest damage to Israel's international image and standing and evoked an outcry from hundreds of thousands of loyal Israeli Arab citizens who now feel betrayed and estranged from their fellow Israeli Jews".

I would like to review the actual wording of the Bill but I cannot find the Bill - only this from Wikipedia. Based on this summary below, I see no infringement on rights of Arabs. In effect, the summary below suggests that all that is being contemplated is to formalize the reasons or principles upon which Israel was created to be and has been since 1948, a Jewish State.

The bill's clauses:
Sections 1–2 of the bill detail the principles for which the law was established: "Israel is the homeland of the Jewish people in which the Jewish people fulfill their ambition to self-determination according to their cultural and historical legacy."

Section 3 regulates the state's symbols – the flag, the anthem and the Emblem of Israel.

Section 4 stipulates that Hebrew is the only official language of the state of Israel while the Arabic language would be of a "special status".
Section 5 establishes the Law of Return as part of Israel's Basic Laws.

Sections 6–7 deal with the relations between the state of Israel and the Jewish diaspora as well as Israel's responsibility for in-gathering world Jewry.

Sections 8–9 deal with the state's obligation to preserve the Jewish heritage.

Sections 10–12 regulate the Hebrew calendar, holidays and memorial days.

Section 13 provides that in a case of a laconic phrase in the Israeli law, the Israeli court system would use the Jewish law as a source of inspiration.

Section 14 deals with the state's obligation to protect the holy places of all faiths located within the territory of Israel.
Posted by Watford, Wednesday, 10 December 2014 4:36:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy