The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Prostate cancer no longer secret men's business > Comments

Prostate cancer no longer secret men's business : Comments

By Susan Prior, published 17/11/2014

Three men and one woman and a personal tale of how prostate cancer affected them all.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
>As a couple we are content<?
Really?
I'm not sure any woman can speak for, let alone understand a man's needs, save if they have a three month course of testosterone injections.
And then find that their "hunted" (not tonight dear I've a headache)partner has taken to climbing up on the roof and pulling the ladder up after him.
Yes sure the digital rectal examination, although almost the most painful experience I've ever endured, exposes some nasty or completely benign lumps or none, but just as surely misses others, which almost always are the very ones we need to detect!
Older women are advised to have a routine mammogram every three years or so, even when it also is a little uncomfortable.
And even then there are some that are missed or misdiagnosed.
I favor a routine tri annual M.I.R. scan, which would be far cheaper and more affordable in the long run, if the Government dipped into its pocket and bought a few hundred Machines.
And less costly as part of preventive care, than dealing with the aftermath, and or lives just not extended by surgery or worse, castration!
Fortunately, there are now more efficacious, less invasive procedures coming to the fore; and would advise anyone contemplating serious surgery, to seek a second, third or fourth opinion!
But particularly, before shelling out tens of thousands on (informed consent) surgery, which may well have worse side effects than the disease.
Perhaps I could write an essay on ovarian cancer, well I have had one breast lump removed, but then I would be writing from mostly observation rather than experience, as is the well meaning author.
A friend and neighbor had the surgery; and lived for only a year after that!
Maybe it would have been 3-5 years, if but he'd been happy!?
The real reason for longevity!
Many Priests have had reported prostate problems?
Could that be connected to compulsory celibacy, and the inevitable frustration it must surely cause?
Get the "connection" or rather, its lack ladies!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 17 November 2014 12:41:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
thank you Susan for an interesting article and your perspective.
Posted by Wolly B, Monday, 17 November 2014 4:01:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your husband is blessed to have a good wife sticking by him Susan. I very much admire wives or husbands who stick by their loved ones in difficult circumstances. Interesting that some countries have next to no prostrate cancer. Makes you wonder how much it is related to our diets.
Posted by runner, Monday, 17 November 2014 4:42:12 PM
By the time this cancer has spread to the bones, making them very brittle and as easy to break as fine china, (even a fit of coughing can result in a painful broken rib) it's too late to do anything, save attend to the happiness of the victim!
And whether we want to understand it or not, happiness may well add years to the life of the partner, and or the relationship.
And usually, all that's required are small acts of kindness!
Everybody has a date with destiny, and none can avoid it!
But we can live better and live in the moment, by setting aside our own pain at this news/diagnoses of impending loss!
After all, it's never about us, or is it?
My friend, neighbor and talk of the town, was apparently extremely dedicated to a very sick wife, and reportedly did everything for her.
Cooked, cleaned and kept a decent garden, always overflowing with fresh green vegetables.
Strike up a conversation over the garden fence, and a mournful cry would invariably emanate from the house; I need this, I need that, fetch this or fetch that; run this or that errand; (yes dear, no dear, just as you say dear) and so each day would pass, with never an audible please or thank you!? But rather, what took you so long?
Strangely, once he died, just a year after the op, she seemed to make a full recovery, and able to do almost everything for herself; including mowing the lawn and caring for the vege garden?
I sometimes wonder, if he was glad to go, and couldn't wait to end his dawn to dark lifelong servitude?
Given, I understand the experience, of sole care nursing of a sick relative 24/7, and for the best part of a decade.
Yes sure, both a privilege and a pleasure for a loved one!
But the unremitting and usually increasing workload, does make one very tired, and glad for them and you, when it's finally over!
From a very different perspective.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 17 November 2014 4:57:14 PM
Hi Susan

Thankyou for the article - sad. It goes to prove cancer sucks - especially cancers for which the "cures" (depending on age and other circumstance) may be worse than the disease.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 17 November 2014 8:10:44 PM
Thank you for the article, it is always heartening that some women (and more men too!) are challenging society's belief that men are disposable.

Movember
http://au.movember.com/events/
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 1:08:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy