The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's official! Climate alarmists are now even more alarmed… > Comments

It's official! Climate alarmists are now even more alarmed… : Comments

By Barry York, published 6/11/2014

As for 'sustainable development' has there ever been a finer oxymoron? How does development happen without change to that condition which preceded it?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
So what your source.....
The "science" journal Don was writing breathlessly about.
Alan Jones talk aback radio callers.
American Heritage foundation.
World net daily
Whatswhatwiththat
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 6 November 2014 9:54:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If I were about to board an aircraft surrounded by 100 extremely concerned flight engineers, 98 of who said it was in no condition to fly, would I be well advised to ignore their advice, or be comforted by two dissenting opinions!?
What has changed is a formerly permanently frozen tundra now melting and releasing millions of tons of methane, into an already critically loaded atmosphere!
As for coal being irreplaceable; that's just patent garbage.
And coal left in the ground would likely be a much more valuable option than selling at cost to an already oversupplied world, and one seriously looking for other more credible options!
Anyhow, selling a lot less for much more a little later, makes better commercial sense! And look, tobacco never ever hurt us either did it!?
We have other options like cheaper than coal thorium, (more than a thousand years worth) which if rolled out coupled to micro grids, would at least halve the cost of industrial energy; but particularly if rolled out as sound public projects.
I'd imagine a falling dollar and energy sourced at half price, would force the car industry to not only pause and reflect recent decisions; but reverse them and indeed, send much more or their manufacture here.
Particularly left hand drives/electric vehicles intended for Asia!
A completely revitalized manufacturing industry is likely to supply and support more permanent jobs and their continuing creation, than coal mines being continually mothballed or permanently closed!
No amount of smug smiling by a do nothing PM is able to prevent any of that, or save so much as a single industry!
If you can't help, then just get out of the way and allow those who can to get on with it!
Preferably before a coal dependent economy completely collapses!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 6 November 2014 10:05:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent article, well-written.

Even though I do not share the author's values such as progress and humanity, his logic is perfect for anyone who does share those values.

Just because I'm not interested in progress, doesn't mean that I need to say 'Yes' to this stupid cult of "global-warming". Following their dictates would indeed hamper human progress, but besides being dishonest it would also introduce an unacceptable range of side-evils.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 6 November 2014 11:50:55 AM
Development that leaves future generations worse off may be "Progress" but it's not genuine progress – we'd be far better off without it. Try looking at the truth instead of the propaganda – if more attention had been paid to sustainability, the problems of radioactive pollution in Siberian rivers could have been avoided.

What "iconic use of tidal waves" in media coverage are you referring to? I don't recall it ever been claimed that global warming would have that effect. Are you confusing it with the danger of a mountain face collapse in the Canaries or the Azores? That could affect New York, as could tsunamis from underwater landslides closer to America, but it has very little to do with climate change. And while climate change could potentially cause hundred metre sea level rises in a few centuries, its more immediate consequences are a serious threat.

Just because we have 85 years left in the timeframe considered by the IPCC doesn't mean we have that long to "adapt to even the worst changes" How long we have to adapt depends on how soon we implement our adaptations – the more we do now, the less time we'll have in future.

I completely agree that we should develop energy sources that are cheaper than coal. And despite it running counter to your idea of Progress, wind is one. Meanwhile, coal isn't as cheap or efficient as you seem to think it is, and the problems increased CO2 in the atmosphere tend to hit the poor the hardest.

Nuclear power certainly has a future, but it doesn't make much economic sense in Australia due to our low population density. As for fusion, I don't see the left opposing it, but it's still decades away from commercial viability.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 6 November 2014 12:15:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Repost with error corrected]

Development that leaves future generations worse off may be "Progress" but it's not genuine progress – we'd be far better off without it. Try looking at the truth instead of the propaganda – if more attention had been paid to sustainability, the problems of radioactive pollution in Siberian rivers could have been avoided.

What "iconic use of tidal waves" in media coverage are you referring to? I don't recall it ever been claimed that global warming would have that effect. Are you confusing it with the danger of a mountain face collapse in the Canaries or the Azores? That could affect New York, as could tsunamis from underwater landslides closer to America, but it has very little to do with climate change. And while climate change could potentially cause hundred metre sea level rises in a few centuries, its more immediate consequences are a serious threat.

Just because we have 85 years left in the timeframe considered by the IPCC doesn't mean we have that long to "adapt to even the worst changes" How long we have to adapt depends on how soon we implement our adaptations – the less we do now, the less time we'll have in future, as we'll eventually have to do more to counteract the effects of our earlier inaction.

I completely agree that we should develop energy sources that are cheaper than coal. And despite it running counter to your idea of Progress, wind is one. Meanwhile, coal isn't as cheap or efficient as you seem to think it is, and the problems increased CO2 in the atmosphere tend to hit the poor the hardest.

Nuclear power certainly has a future, but it doesn't make much economic sense in Australia due to our low population density. As for fusion, I don't see the left opposing it, but it's still decades away from commercial viability.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 6 November 2014 12:19:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the more the funding dries up the more alarmist gw religion needs to become. Hysterical really!
Posted by runner, Thursday, 6 November 2014 1:28:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy