The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Whitlam was a giant cut down in his prime > Comments

Whitlam was a giant cut down in his prime : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 22/10/2014

An ordinary Labor Party and born to rule conservatives did Gough in.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I have never been a great fan of Whitlam. Unfortunately for him and his great plans for the nation, the Labor caucus presented him with the most inept bunch of individuals they could muster from which he had too choose a cabinet. His failure to more closely oversee their activities can however, only be blamed upon himself. His desire to strut the world stage also helped to bring about his downfall. The party was much more responsible for his downfall than the hapless Kerr who was largely a victim of circumstances. Frazer did what had to be done and the electorate responded accordingly.

Whitlam could really have been a great man if he had a competent team to lead, but such was not the case, hence history will remember him more for the circumstances of his dismissal, rather than for any of the good things which he accomplished.
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 8:48:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Labor leaders, of varying quality, come and go but the inept Labor party seems to continue in the same vein.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 8:53:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whitlam was indeed not helped by the bunch of C's which surrounded him. RFX Connor and Jim Cairnes were mentioned. Frank Crean was a plodding Treasurer. Moss Cass, former Minister for the Environment, still lives on in the form of unthinking, drum-beating opposition to uranium mining. By all means, make rational argument about policy, but Cass made popular brain dead populist posturing as a substitute for argument, in a way that was previously seen only rarely - the White Australia Policy, anti-German feeling during The Great War and McCarthyism come to mind, but each of those issues has mellowed considerably with time. Cass's damage is yet to be rectified.

Those 4 C's were individually intelligent but organisationally divisive and negative, the results too often being stifling of good core programs due to stuff-ups with bad non-core ones.

On balance, Gough Whitlam was probably too far ahead of his times, a gifted visionary but a flawed leader.
Posted by JohnBennetts, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 9:50:36 AM
I feel that Bill Shorten might be remembered for significantly opening up the Labor Party, in due course, though not of the same order as Gough's historic achievement.

He has stated unequivocally that he wants the next National Conference to deliver on his reform objectives which centred on getting rid of the faction-based mentality, getting the best possible candidates, and making the party also attractive to people outside its traditional bases.

I suspect Shorten will prevail at the National Conference, otherwise the Party will be giving Tony Abbott the wondrous gift of a campaign line: "Who do you trust? A Prime Minister who stop the boats as he said he would, make the world save from a death cult,repaired the budget mess,... OR a lame duck recycled union leader who talks about opening up his Party to every day Australians but get blocked at every turn by the entrenched union heavy weights!"

Somehow I feel the National Conference will deliver, otherwise Bill would be going into the next Federal Election with little authority within the Party and no authenticity in the eyes of the public.

Like Rudd in his come back Bill has a trump card to play at the next National Conference. Him as a alternative PM or just another disposal Opposition Leader at the whims of the faction bosses.
Posted by Chek, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 10:04:17 AM
When Whitlam was rushed to hospital some years ago, my comment on the article was, “If it is terminal, it is 38 years too late to help anyone”

Now he has died, it is 44 years too late, for anyone who suffered from his incompetence.

I know that is a facetious comment, because without Goof, the Labor Party would have produced something just as disastrous to inflict on us.

Goof could have been useful. If he had served as a warning to never, ever vote Labor again. Since he did not serve that purpose, there was no other reason for him to be around.
Posted by Leo Lane, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 11:00:09 AM
John Bennets sums it up very nicely for me, and can add little more, save say, I liked neither him nor his even more, I believe, arrogant wife!
He was one of many elitists, who have since joined the Labor party, and in so doing, changed it forever and into a me too, pale shadow of the Liberal party!
Where people with far too little real world experience, now come in far too early, and stay far too long.
Today's Leader, Bill shorten, seems to have accepted that they've gone far too far down the, we know best, elitist road, and is seeking to change the party from within, into a vastly more democratic and inclusive one!
Whitlem showed his true (mine fuhrer) colors, I believe, in the first two weeks of power, when he and one henchman, changed everything that could be changed, without caucus, parliament or party agreement!
Little wonder he got on so well with Chairman Mao?
They were, it seems, birds of a feather, non consulting authoritarians/know it all dilettantes, like too many Labor Leaders!?
Vision is all well and good, but you need to move and convert the unbelievers!
Much like Neville Wran did, and a far more inclusive, and humble, but equally intelligent leader.
Who not only created an initial landslide victory, but ruled for several terms.
And indeed, the best historical humble living, [working out of an office hardly bigger than the ensuites others now grant themselves,] Labor Leader example of how to lead, and have others want to follow.
Now that's what I call a real Leader!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 11:19:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy