The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Muslims must engage with Islamic ideas that give rise to terrorism > Comments

Muslims must engage with Islamic ideas that give rise to terrorism : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 9/10/2014

Those Muslims who cry Islamophobia repeatedly when asked about terrorism and Islam do themselves a disservice by not ­engaging with the ideas inherent in Islam that might lend themselves to actions of violent ­confrontation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
(continuation)

Eleventh century
Bedford School (1086, refounded 1552)
Salisbury Cathedral School (1091)
Norwich School (1096, refounded 1547)
Twelfth century[edit]
Abingdon School (possibly as old as 1100, endowed 1256, refounded 1563)
St Paul's Cathedral School (founded 1123)
Reading School (abbey founded 1125, refounded 1486, Royal charter 1541)
The King's School, Pontefract (1139, refounded 1548)
Bristol Cathedral School (abbey founded 1140, refounded 1542)
Derby School (1160, refounded 1554)
Westminster School (1179, Royal charter 1540)

Thirteenth century
Colchester Royal Grammar School (1206, Royal charter 1585)
Lancaster Royal Grammar School (mention of master 1235, endowed 1472)
King Edward VI Grammar School, Louth (earliest reference 1276, refounded 1551)

Fourteenth century
Stamford School (1309, re-endowed 1532)
Northallerton College (1323)
Hanley Castle High School (chantry school 1326, charter 1544)
The King's School, Grantham (1329, refounded 1528)
Bourne Grammar School (earliest record of existence 1330, endowed 1636)
The King's School, Ottery St Mary (1335, refounded 1545)
Bablake School (1344)
Doncaster Grammar School / Hall Cross School (first record of existence 1350)
Prince Henry's High School (c. 1376, refounded 1605)
New College School (1379)
Wisbech Grammar School (1379, Royal charter 1549)
Winchester College (1382)
Katharine Lady Berkeley's School (1384)
Penistone Grammar School (1392)
Ipswich School (1399, Royal Charter 1566)

(continues)
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 October 2014 11:12:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
(continues)

Fifteenth century
Oswestry School (1407)
Durham School (1414, refounded 1541)
Chorister School (1416)
Royal Latin School (first mention 1423, Royal charter 1548)
Sponne School (chantry founded 1430)
Sevenoaks School (1432)
Chipping Campden School (c1440)
Eton College (1440)
City of London School (1442)
St Dunstan's College (earlier than 1446)
Hartismere School (founded 1451)
St. Bartholomew's School, Newbury (1466)
Bromsgrove School (record of a chantry school 1476, re-founded 1553)
Magdalen College School, Oxford (1480)
Thomas Rotherham College (1483)
Stockport Grammar School (1487)
Pott Shrigley (1492)
Ermysted's Grammar School (record of a chantry school 1492, re-founded 1548)
King Edward VI School, Lichfield (1495)
Loughborough Grammar School (1495)
The Prebendal School (1497)
Queen Elizabeth's School, Wimborne Minster (1497)
Giggleswick School (1499, Royal charter 1553)
Sixteenth century[edit]
The King's School in Macclesfield (1502)
Bridgnorth Endowed School (1503)
St Paul's School (London) (1509)
Royal Grammar School, Guildford (1509)
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Blackburn (1509)
Wolverhampton Grammar School (1512)
Lewes Old Grammar School Lewes, East Sussex (1512)
Giggleswick School, North Yorkshire (1512)
Holy Trinity Church of England Primary School, Cuckfield, West Sussex (1512)
Nottingham High School (1513)
Pocklington School (1514)
Manchester Grammar School (1515)
Gillingham School (1516)
Bolton School (1516)
Cranbrook School, Kent (1518)
King's School, Bruton (1519)
Coleshill School (1520)
Kendal Grammar School (1525)
Royal Grammar School, Newcastle (1525)
Sedbergh School (1525)
Boteler Grammar School (1526)
Bishop Vesey's Grammar School (1527)
Bingley Grammar School (1529)
Magnus C of E School (1531)
Bristol Grammar School (1532)
Stamford School (1532)
The College of Richard Collyer (1532)

and that's only the English schools, Latin would have been one of the subjects taught, fancy all those students over 700 years or so and most able to read Latin Bibles not to mention the Gospels in English.
It is well to remember that Henry VIII was a Catholic when born and a Catholic when he died, although ex-communicated.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 October 2014 11:15:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Killarney / 'Stop trying to squirm out of it./ Do you oppose the enforcement of all the polices you advocate, or not?'

I've no idea what I'm supposed to be squirming out of. And I'm not sure what policies I'm supposed to be advocating.

I'm opposed to policies that advocate invading, sanctioning and bombing the crap out of 'non-cooperative' Muslim countries, and any countries that do not conform to the USNATO consensus. I also advocate sceptical analysis of what passes for Western mainstream media.

So, on that basis, I suppose I must advocate the enforcement of policies that agree with the above. However, I'm not holding my breath, as USNATO does not exactly pursue these outcomes. They have deep pockets, lots of brainwashed village idiots who will facilitate their American Century vision and plenty of bombs to drop.

mac

'Name a Christian general of the stature of Muslim commanders like Tamerlane or Zheng He?'

I've no idea. I'm not into fawning all over great dudes of history. And I don't understand what the meaning is behind the question.

I don't know anything much about Tamerlane, except that he seems to have been one of those psychotic, genocidal dudes that patriarchal historians typically wet their pants over.

Zhen He, on the other hand, was pretty cool. It's a pity the Ming dynasty pulled the plug on his extraordinary voyages.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 13 October 2014 12:52:25 AM
Well, Mise, it is obvious that you were never in the armed forces. Soldiers have a saying "baffle them with bullshiit", and that is exactly what your last post was.

Most people in the Dark Ages and Middle Ages could not read. They could not read in their own languages, much less in Latin. I stand by my premise that the Christian clergy deliberately concealed from their congregations the essential pacifism and tolerance preached by the founder of Christianity. The advent of printing coincided with the desire by church reformers to spread the direct teachings of the man called "Jesus Christ". It was the start of the "information age" and the Reformation.

Your own previous writings agree with me that Christianity and Islam are fundamentally different religions. Why you want to take issue on some point of order just to show off your ignorance of history is beyond me.

But if you do think that the church has always quoted the bible to their congregations and preached peace, love and mung beans, please write 700 words explaining how literacy (which included Latin) was widespread among all classes in the Christian world during the Dark and Middle Ages, and everybody who could get hold of a Bible read it. Don't just say "you are wrong" and let it hang. Don't just list schools were literacy was taught to the clergy and the merchant class. Explain to us why the church was so against non clergy reading the bible, if not to conceal the scriptures essential truth? Explain why priests in churches would not even recite the bible verses to their own congregations. Explain why the church bothered to burn printed bibles in the languages of the national congregations, as well as the people who printed, disseminated, and possessed such bibles, if not to keep a monopoly on how the sacred texts should be interpreted.

But most of all Mise, explain why Christians ignored the pacifist and tolerant message of their prophet and were so violent and intolerant, if not because they were totally ignorant of the teachings of their own founder.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 13 October 2014 4:33:29 AM
LEGO,

"Well, Mise, it is obvious that you were never in the armed forces. Soldiers have a saying "baffle them with bullshiit", and that is exactly what your last post was."

If soldiers have such a saying and that was what my last post was, then would it not follow that I was in the armed forces?

You are getting confused.

Let us clarify something, there was no such period as the "Dark Ages"

"....schools were literacy was taught to the clergy and the merchant class."

We are getting somewhere, previously you said that not even the nobility could read.

Explain, if you will, why the Vulgate Bible was written in vulgar Latin if it was not intended for the common people; Latin is much like Japanese in that it has common and very educated levels.

I studied Latin but was not of a sufficiently high standard to gain entry to Sydney Uni. when I left school so had to wait till Latin was dropped as a prerequisite.

"But most of all Mise, explain why Christians ignored the pacifist and tolerant message of their prophet and were so violent and intolerant, if not because they were totally ignorant of the teachings of their own founder"

In feudal times the commoners did what they were told by their masters and their masters, the Aristocracy, who ignored the teachings of Christ for political reasons when His teachings were inconvenient and followed them when it suited, just like today.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 13 October 2014 1:15:29 PM
I know that is a load of crap but I can hardly remember the name every book I have read in the last forty years about the Dark Ages, the Middle Ages and the Reformation. But the internet is a wonderful tool, and all I had to do was type "papal bans on bible" in Google and 1,220,000 websites claim that you are wrong.

Here are some quotes you may find interesting.

http://www.vatileaks.com/_blog/Vati_Leaks/post/Why_Popes_banned_the_Bible/

(Pope) Damasus recorded that ‘bad use of difficult passages by the simple and poor gives rise to hear-say’ and the general populace was denied access to the compilations. The word ‘hear-say’ developed into ‘heresy’ and people who opposed Church opinions were subsequently called ‘heretics’.

In 860, Pope Nicholas I, sitting high on a throne built specially for the occasion in the town square, pronounced against all people who expressed interest in reading the Bible, and reaffirmed its banned public use (Papal Decree). In 1073, Pope Gregory supported and confirmed the ban, and in 1198, Pope Innocent III declared that anybody caught reading the Bible would be stoned to death by ‘soldiers of the Church military’

COUNCIL OF TOULOUSE - 1229 A.D. http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/banned.htm

Canon 14. We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament;

Pope Innocent III stated in 1199:

... to be reproved are those who translate into French the Gospels, the letters of Paul, the psalter, etc. They are moved by a certain love of Scripture in order to explain them clandestinely and to preach them to one another. The mysteries of the faith are not to explained rashly to anyone. Usually in fact, they cannot be understood by everyone but only by those who are qualified to understand them with informed intelligence. The depth of the divine Scriptures is such that not only the illiterate and uninitiated have difficulty understanding them, but also the educated and the gifted.

The ball is now in your side of the court.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 13 October 2014 7:48:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All