The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unscrambling the mandates omelette guarantees more egg on Obama's face > Comments

Unscrambling the mandates omelette guarantees more egg on Obama's face : Comments

By David Singer, published 7/10/2014

The PLO, pursuant to Article 20 of its 1968 Covenant, has never accepted the legal validity of the Mandate for Palestine, nor Great Britain's 1923 decision.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Seriously David, it's just not Obama's problem or responsibility! Neither Israel nor Palestine are going away, EVER!
Let the RESPONSIBLE Israeli and Palestinian leaders sit down and nut out an agreement they can all live with, in enduring lasting peace.
And for practical purposes, it can't ever be perfect, or fill any part of a terrorist organisation's claim or slogan!
Don't just do something, stand there!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 11:25:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘morning David,

Many of us have endured over 100 of your articles on Palestine since 2008. Don’t you think you are getting a little bit.. er.. obsessive about this?

I know you are struggling for traction and that the debate is getting away from you but for pities sake man, get a life.

Isn’t there something you can think of in the real world to which you could turn your obsessive compulsive behavior?

Think of it this way, what will you do when the Palestinians are either wiped off the map or integrated within Israel?

How about the ‘Historical relevance of postmodern tiddly winks played in darkened rooms”?

Note for GY, enough already.
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 1:11:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David,

since you are so happy to accept the British decision on Palestine (and other decisions). I have a proposal for you that is identical and I'm sure equally acceptible to you. I have decided that you don't need all of your house. You aren't using all the rooms. I propose that it be given in perpetuity to the next refugee family accepted to Australia. Sounds fair to me since it's fair for Palestine.

Regards
dkit
Posted by dkit, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 3:03:26 PM
Singer, do you realize that Israel has fallen off the world agenda?

Yeah, Singer, the world has more pressing problems now than a handful of Jewish fanatics and their plans for a Greater Israel.

Don't take it personally now. You've had a pretty good run, wouldn't you say?

But Israel is now small cheese given the coming battle between the Psychotic, Bankrupt, Imperialist U.S. and the emergence of Russia and China who intend to bring some needed balance to the world.

Israelis should move to the U.S. while they can. There is no place for them in the Middle East!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 7 October 2014 6:29:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I admit I don't see why the states established in the carve-up of the Ottoman empire, by the then imperial powers, and the now defunct League of Nations, should be preserved.

I don't see a vision in the states of the middle east worth preserving. It is full of dreadful chronic conflict and hatred, and I can't see but that the Balfour Declaration, and all the post-colonial and imperial meddling of the last century has exacerbated it.

Not only that, but the more the US has intervened in Arab states, the more Islamicist and rat-bag the result, have you noticed that?

At base, the problem is that the Jews think of "the restoration of Palestine to the Jewish people" i.e. it belongs to them (because God said so), and the Arabs think of Palestine as "consecrated for Moslem generations until Judgement Day" i.e. it belongs to them (because God said so).

In theory, this is a zero-sum game, the two parties are acting like spoilt children, and the rest of the world wishes they would bloody well grow up.

In practice, given their mutual mindset, there is no solution but for the parties to fight it out. The last 40 years of "peace talks" have come to this - a bad joke. Could it have been worse if the West had never tried any of their clever interventionist statist schemes?

The root of the problem is not religion or chauvinism per se, since religious and chauvinist people can and do share the same land and worship peacefully side by side.

The root of the problem is the idea that each group must have a monopoly of coercion dictating any and every aspect of life to everyone subject to it. The root of the problem is the very idea of the State - which is the only thing Arabs and Israelis are agreed on!

ISIS is just an incipient state, and the pretensions of the United Nations to stand for something better are morally dubious, all being sprung from the same source. They are all mere double-talking zero-sum coercive monopolists.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 8 October 2014 7:15:49 AM
Rhrosty

I understand your frustration.

A solution was achieved between 1948-1967 when the West Bank was unified with Transjordan and the entity renamed Jordan in 1950.

Getting back to that situation - as far as is now possible given the changed circumstances on the ground since then - remains the only way forward.

This means direct negotiations between Jordan and Israel.

The creation of another Arab state between Israel and Jordan was rejected by the Arabs in 1947. Trying to rectify that lost opportunity has proved yet again to be another lost opportunity after 20 years of fruitless negotiations.

#spindoc

Glad to see you have been counting my articles in OLO.

Remind me - have you ever commented on the actual contents of those articles?

To avoid upsetting yourself - simply avoid reading any articles written by me.

#dkit

The decision to legalise the right of the Jews to reconstitute their Jewish National Home in Palestine was not that of Great Britain - but the unanimous decision of all 52 member States of the League of Nations.

If you cannot understand that - then I am afraid that you are going to argue from a base without any foundations.

When that happens the house you try to build on it will collapse.

#David G

Thought you weren't going to comment on my articles any more - that those who did were persons of "low intellect"

Your claim that "Israel has fallen off the world agenda" is a load of codswallop.

Just Google "Israel" News and have a look for yourself.

For once I agree with your assessment that Israel is small cheese compared to the horrendous conflict being waged in Syria and Iraq at the moment and threatening to spill over into Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.

I first wrote about the deteriorating position in Syria more than twelve months ago. I guess you were too busy having a shot at me to take any notice.
Posted by david singer, Wednesday, 8 October 2014 8:50:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy