The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Syrian airstrikes: same missiles, different targets > Comments

Syrian airstrikes: same missiles, different targets : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 25/9/2014

In the changeable world of geopolitics where morality is relative Tuesday’s targets were not the Syrian government even though it may have murdered 200,000.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Hi Pete and Joe,
In reality I really don't have much of a problem with the US bombing ISIS since they played a part in creating them (and so did we by allying ourselves with the US on the War on Terror). They made the mess so they should clean it up, but knowing them things will only get worse for some hidden agenda that the rest of us struggle to understand and its that aspect that concerns me.
That said, our involvement only increases the potential for terrorist attacks at home, and I am against anything that puts our citizens at home in danger.
As for Israel preferring the Assad Govt, I'm not sure that's true.
I read somewhere that Ed Snowden revealed that the head of ISIS was a trained Mossad operative. And their motto btw is "By Way of Deception".
I've watch a few youtube videos from a man named Sheikh Imran Hosein, as I really enjoy his geopolitical thoughts from a reasonable headed Islamic perspective (I'm not a muslim).
In it he says the Zionists are trying to become the next ruling state in the world, and that they intend to start a big war, but they cannot do it whilst seeming to be the aggressor. Therefore they have to put themselves in a position where they can make a genuine claim that Israel faces serious enemies and that if they do nothing they will be destroyed. So part of my thinking is very skeptical about the real motives behind these wars in the middle east, given that the US is very much prone to doing whatever is in Israels interests. If you look at US politics you will see any number of new laws being regularly discussed and passed that support Israel's interests by US politicians with Jewish connections.
I think they want the US and Russia to take each other out in a nuclear war.
He also says that ISIS is a false caliphate.
Ill add a link, there's a better one but I cant find it atm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KQwU0IL-4Q&list=UU3Xlgbc8gq3NOMmdEUAlfGg
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 29 September 2014 6:42:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The US really has created such a mess by doing "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" too many times.
Of course I don't know whats really going on but it must be said the in politics, "Nothing happens by accident", so as much as I might sound like a conspiracy theorist (prefer truth seeker) you just don't know these days.
And also you cant take away the possibility that the US is getting rid of Assad and targeting oil fields which helps to take Russia down by creating a new pipeline of oil to Europe.
The Saudis suggested it but Assad said no.
Afterwards Syria, Iraq and Iran were to build this pipeline and doing so is a direct threat to the petrodollar.
Just my thoughts...
- Scott
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 29 September 2014 6:45:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Scott, you might benefit from reading The Redirection, a 1997 article in the New Yorker by Seymour Hersh. It makes a lot of what is happening now more understandable.

As far as pipelines are concerned, that is a huge element in the equation. The writer with the clearest view in my opinion is Pepe Escobar whom you can find at Asia Times online.

You may have heard Obama today saying that we (i.e. the US) "underestimated" ISIS in Syria and "overestimated" the Iraqi army. Yeah, right. Just have to expand the war to compensate!
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 29 September 2014 7:35:45 PM
How are some airstrikes conducted?

First UK SAS "smash" teams carry out reconnaissance missions to provide up-to-date information on potential airstrike targets.

Then immediately before airstrikes UK SAS smash teams may use a process called 'painting a target' to pinpoint a site to be struck. A laser beam from a portable device is bounced off a building or military installation from a few hundred yards – this is detected by the aircraft or a missile sensor, which then deploys the weapon.

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2771386/Britain-buys-20-Tomahawk-missiles-ready-strike-IS-1million-bombs-fired-submarines-programmed-turn-corners.html#ixzz3EhrLsbhS
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 29 September 2014 10:58:12 PM
Coalition airstrikes appear not proving sufficient to slow down IS's steady growth in Iraq and Syria. If so Western regular army boots on the ground will supplement Western Special Forces boots that are already on the ground.

If so Australia will be there – as always.

“Militants of the Islamic State group were closing in Monday on a Kurdish area of Syria on the border with Turkey — an advance unhindered so far by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes”.

Islamic State fighters pounded the city of Kobani with mortars and artillery shells, advancing within three miles (five kilometers) of the Kurdish frontier city, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and Nawaf Khalil, a Kurdish official."

see http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-led-airstrikes-hit-syrian-provinces-2582886
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 30 September 2014 1:15:10 PM
Bribe needed for our 8 Super Hornets in Iraq?

On the week long delay for Iraqi permission that Australia can use its 8 Super Hornets to bomb targets in Iraq... see http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/10/02/australia-waits-on--specific--request-from-iraq.htm

It is odd that Iraq (a country notionally with its back to the wall and suffering "a humanitarian disaster") claims that a "public holiday" will cause another week of delay for Iraq's Cabinet to bestow approval.

What in tarnation gives? I thought it was a humanitarian emergency?

One can only assume that the good Shiits of the Baghdad Government are demanding appropriate authorization money (read bribes) for Australia's right to defend Iraq. Or don't these Shiits give a stuff about Sunni, Kurdish and other minority interests in Iraq?
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 2 October 2014 11:34:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All