The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why are we worried about the Islamic State? Did I miss something? > Comments

Why are we worried about the Islamic State? Did I miss something? : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 3/9/2014

I must have missed something! Last time I checked the 'Islamic State' was not actually a state and the army of the non-state state barely warranted the title army.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hear hear. The fear, but not the loathing, of ISIS is almost entirely unjustified.

Islam at its strongest was not able to beat Europe at its weakest, in the middle ages. Without abandoning their core tenets, they will remain with the philosophy of the illiterate robber rapist slaver paedophile murderer who inspires them, claiming God told them to do it as he did.

But the way people are going on about them, you'd think they were invading the West, rather than getting rid of a government imposed by the West after invading them on grounds - WMD - which were later shown to be lies. The western powers have killed far more Iraqis - and westerners for that matter - in Iraq than ISIS.

Yes the mass murders of Christians are dreadful - but have their precedent in early Islam surprise surprise.

However without troops on the ground, all talk of defeating ISIS militarily is pie-in-the-sky. Are we supposed to support another invasion, another occupation, and another puppet government?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 12:01:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exactly Dave! Nailed it in one!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 12:18:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jardine,

But given the horrors that go on in northern Iraq, I do believe you would support individuals coming to the rescue, helping the Kurds with arms (bought with their own funds) and perhaps even fighting on their side. Am I wrong?

Alas, that money which could have been donated to that campaign was already taken in taxes and the Australian government would arrest anyone attempting to travel to the Middle-East in order to help the Kurds and Yazidis.

You do underestimate Islam, which formerly took most of Eastern Europe and parts of Spain and Southern France, then went as far as besieging Vienna. Mohammed was not illiterate either. In fact, the level of literacy, culture and science in the Ottoman empire was at the time much higher than in Christian Europe.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 1:03:22 PM
Father Dave again and how everything is the fault of the West. Conspiracies galore, but he still prefers to live here rather than in the Middle East where his heart lies. Sad.
Posted by Alia, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 3:27:12 PM
"Mohammed was not illiterate either."

He was according to Edward Gibbon and all the other historical sources on him I have read, but maybe I was wrong. Why do you say so?

"But given the horrors that go on in northern Iraq, I do believe you would support individuals coming to the rescue, helping the Kurds with arms (bought with their own funds) and perhaps even fighting on their side. Am I wrong?"

You are right, I would support that. I think if states kept out of it, and only those personally interested in fighting or donating on either side participated
a) the problem probably wouldn't have started in the first place
b) it wouldn't have got this bad, and
c) it would be lesser and preferable.

But 'once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's hard to get it back in again'
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 4:10:22 PM
A well reasoned article, but we in Australia have little to fear from terrorist activities - we've all got our fridge magnets!
Posted by Ponder, Wednesday, 3 September 2014 5:00:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy