The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The empire cries wolf: pipeline politics, the tragedy of MH17, and geo-strategic agenda bending > Comments

The empire cries wolf: pipeline politics, the tragedy of MH17, and geo-strategic agenda bending : Comments

By Greg Maybury, published 31/7/2014

America itself was directly responsible for a not dissimilar incident when in 1988 the missile cruiser USS Vincennes accidentally shot down an Iranian passenger airliner killing all 290 people on board including 66 children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Google gave this translation of the title and subtitle of the article I found in http://www.mk.ru/politics/2014/07/25/ukraina-zavela-ugolovnye-dela-na-zhirinovskogo-i-zyuganova-za-finansirovanie-separatizma.html (and also on the official site of the Izvestia, but I lost the link):

Zhirinovsky and Zyuganov became defendants in criminal proceedings in Ukraine as "sponsors of terrorism"
They are accused of "finance actions aimed at changing the boundaries of the territory and the state border"

This, of course, does not absolve Putin from being actively involved in what is happening in Eastern Ukraine, but to me - an absolute ignorant as far as international law is concerned - it suggests that even Ukraine officially admits, that there has been an involvement from Russian nationalist sources that Putin has no control over. (Zhirinovsky is a Russian nationalist demagogue, leader of the extremist “LD party of Russia”, and Zyuganov is the First Secretary of the Communists Party.)

(See also http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=16537#289010 for Putin’s official reaction to MH17. It is only today - almost a fortnigfht after the disaster, that the Ukrainians stopped bombing the region for a few hours so that the Dutch investigators could access the site).

I have not seen any reference to these “criminal proceedings” by Ukrainian authorities in Western media, especially an explanation that would refute my interpretation of this fact.
Posted by George, Friday, 1 August 2014 12:13:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Greg,

A good sub-editor would have really helped your piece but that doesn't detract from its central truth.

I think the Russians have many reasons to be aggrieved with the West. I have just completed the trans-Siberian and in every small town and village across that vast country there are reminders of the enormous suffering they have endured through foreign invasions over the centuries.

Events following the fall of communism have given the Russians little reason to change their views. We guaranteed the Russians that if they allowed their satellite states to leave the USSR they would not be part of the EU and certainly not part of NATO. In fact, I think Gorbachov originally wanted a unified Germany to leave NATO and remain demilitarised. Twenty-five years later, the EU has pushed right up to Russian borders, NATO has pushed eastwards into Poland and was threatening to expand into the Ukraine. The US even attempted to put strategic missiles in the Czech Republic and Poland. Why should they believe a word we say? Our attitude was basically, you lost the cold war so we will do what we want.

In the Ukraine, the West supported the overthrow of a democratically elected government. What happened to all our talk of spreading democracy? One corrupt government fell and another corrupt oligarchy took its place, John Kerry promptly arrived offering the 'new government' aid. I said to Russian friends, Scotland has a referendum on leaving the UK coming up in September. Maybe Russia should send Lavrov to offer them aid if they leave the UK. See if the West likes its own medicine.

We and our leaders sit back and watch as hundreds of Palestinian children are killed. US made jets, warships and artillery bombard one of the most densely populated areas on Earth killing over a thousand civilians. A land assault by one of the world's most well-equipped and well trained armies rumbles into the tightly packed, poverty stricken ghettos in the West Bank and Gaza killing indescriminately. And what do we do?

We put sanctions on Russia.
Posted by dane, Friday, 1 August 2014 7:11:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a joke. Apparently, as Abbott says, 'Israel has a right to defend itself'. They call that defence.

How can we accept so many Palestinians are slaughtered like caged animals but then make Russia 'accountable' for separatists in eastern Ukraine. How is Russia responsible for its weapons but the US not?

Who could not look into the faces of those three beautiful children lost in the MH17 tragedy and not feel deeply moved? There are no words to express the loss their parents must feel. So imagine how it would feel to be a Palestinian parent who loses their children while playing on a beach. There is no sanctions, no outrage. No geopolitical manovering. For Palestinians parents there are words to describe their suffering, their despair:Israel has a right to defend itself.

That is how Russia sees the West.
Posted by dane, Friday, 1 August 2014 7:16:36 AM
Dane

You are barking up the right tree in the sense that Vladimir Putin is the democratic president all Russians had to have.

Putin will bestow on Ukraine a special love that his formative years in the KGB inculcated.

As I assume you are a typical product of lefty Uni life I understand Putin's special Russian style could improve your campus http://youtu.be/K9g36QB5uos

Useful idiots need their Mussolini.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 August 2014 11:25:01 AM
Pete, Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld were found guilty of war crimes in 2012 at the Malaysian War Crimes Tribunal prosecuted by Prof Francis Boyle. It may also explain why Malaysian Airlines are being selected for terrorist attacks.

I see no evidence of war crimes by Vladmir Putin.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 1 August 2014 12:18:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Halduell

‘But I still think in the end, if we ever get that far, we will find that it was an air-to-air missile, and not a ground-to-air one, that brought the airliner down.’

Don’t know if you’ve seen this. If it’s authentic (and I always try to maintain scepticism about what I see on the internet), then there is little doubt the plane was hit by air-to-air missile fire.

http://www.anderweltonline.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Cockpit-MH017.pdf

http://www.anderweltonline.com/wissenschaft-und-technik/luftfahrt-2014/shocking-analysis-of-the-shooting-down-of-malaysian-mh17/
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 1 August 2014 4:16:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy