The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does Australia need a 'climate policy' at all? > Comments

Does Australia need a 'climate policy' at all? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 22/7/2014

The evidence continues to mount that carbon dioxide is not, after all, the control knob of the planet's temperature.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
<< Ludwig, There is no such thing as sustainable energy systems… >>

In the strictest sense this may be true, Incommuicardo.

But indigenous cultures the world over haven’t done too badly in approximating sustainable systems for thousands of years. And we should be doing our damnedest to head in that direction.

<< So what we need is to wean ourselves from the idea that energy systems can be sustainable. >>

We need to embrace the philosophy of sustainability and do our best to head towards it.

We need to wean ourselves off of our addiction to finite fossil fuels.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:02:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig

Yes, there may be some hope with thorium.

“By 2050, thorium should meet 30% of India’s electricity demand.”

http://www.itheo.org/articles/world%E2%80%99s-first-thorium-reactor-designed

But more available electricity will mean more consumption of materials such as dysprosium.

So it is not just a policy on climate, there should also be a policy regards overall consumption.

On a brighter note, our government seems very keen to wean Australians away from thinking that growth and consumption is the reason why we exist.

Tony Abbot and Joe Hockey have often spoken about the need to limit growth and consumption, and have Australians thinking about other things instead.
Posted by Incomuicardo, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:21:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, if Co2 is not causing climate change? What is?
What has caused ocean temperatures to rise, in some places by a recorded 2C!
And what has caused average recorded wind speeds to increase, other than increased global convection?
And if Global convection and ocean temperatures have risen, what has caused that, and is there anything we can do, except say adapt, if it is due to say, Solar thermal warming, which is irreversible!
Even so, if the carbon free alternatives, are cheaper and perform far better at growing a very robust economy, what "thick head" is going to say, no we don't want that or energy prices just a quarter of what we are now paying!
We want to keep paying even higher economy destroying prices!
And who needs a carbon tax, energy prices are through the roof already, and contributing to a massive economic slowdown, the world over!
And indeed, virtual armed conflict, to secure future supply surety!
Albeit, not us, given we enjoy paying through the nose for fully imported fuel, and at economy killing prices.
Climate sckimate? Who cares?
Let's just decarbonize our economy, because that will make all of us, [except the fossil fuel industry, and a few weeping foreigners,]
very much more prosperous, and put a Bunsen burner under a truly tepid economy!
A much better performing decarbonized economy, and a much rosier future for we Australians!
What raving dunderhead, could possibly want that!?
Thorium, biogas, and an algae based oil industry, that will be still growing long after the last oil well has gone dry!
Who could possibly want that, or the 44 cents per litre and less, we might have to pay, for a vastly more secure and superior fuel supply?
I mean, people who advocate these economy growing changes/advantages, have to be sick in the head?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:44:54 AM
Has anyone noticed any climate change 'sceptics' on OLO who actually have qualifications in climatology? Not many, not any, perhaps.
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 1:17:32 PM
Curmudgeon I did read it, you just missed the point... Don wouldn't ask the question if he didn't except global warming.
If he excepted that climate science might know more about how climate works then he does.
I can understand the rube who listen to 2gb might think a certain way but you would have to look at other motivation other than dumb ignorance to explain Don's view point.

BTW I don't care much for what the so called great Australian say in his papers and infomercials(fox news), reality is realiy
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 1:59:53 PM
Don I give thanks that someone who can get published, & has some authority can both think & speak so clearly. I have yet to read an article by you that has got far from common sense based on understanding.

I really have to wonder how you survived in the rarified atmosphere of academia. You must have had great difficulty keeping yourself under control at the rank stupidity & rampant self interest you must have seen daily.

Out here in the real world your thoughts hit a cord. You are expressing what most real people feel & believe, but have trouble expressing, or being heard when they do. I wonder how many of our politicians are smart enough to see the wisdom in your post? lets hope more than a few.

Luddy old mate, I fear you are going off the rails. In what you suggest about energy is buried the fact that billions would have to die, for your vision of an indigenous culture future to work.

Here in Oz, such a culture could not support more than a million or so. What you suggest we do with the other 22 1/2 million.

The only answer is the status quo, with a gradual shift to nuclear. Wind wave & sunbeams are just so much hot air.

How you can defer to Obama is a mystery for an intelligent person. He is without the most corrupt man ever to hold the US presidency, with all his greenery merely a cover to transfer billions of public money to his campaign funders. This was done via their investment in alternative energy business they have owned, & gutted before going bankrupt. I can't believe you mean that
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 4:09:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy