The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wealthy will get a cheaper education > Comments

The wealthy will get a cheaper education : Comments

By Allison Orr, published 6/6/2014

An engineering degree, the degree my father did for free, will cost as much as $119,000.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I on the other hand was not quite as silly as you two, but join you in saying who needs an education to achieve.

I read and understood the theory of sailing, navigation, much about boats, meteorology, safety and the weather before I set foot upon my yacht and sailed solo from Port Stephens to Brisbane. I'd never set foot on a small boat before in my life. Yet I still don't know what's a spinnaker.

I ran successfully my own business and now the corporation I built has been taken over by my children. No business degree.

I have invented and built a mechanical machine to wrap newspapers. In my retirement I'm setting out to manufacture, market and export. No degrees in engineering (Electrical or mechanical) nor marketing degree

I have also become a published author and recognised local poet. I'm starting, in my retirement, a new career as a writer of poetry and literature. No Arts, psych or journalism degrees.

And I contributed to tax all these years, (With no degrees) except for a very brief period when I first faced having to raise two youngsters, alone, did I get any help. Then only a part pension and health card for a brief period when I had no cash flow, thanks to Keating and my lack of foresight.

Yet I can see university education has never been free.

What is wrong with these blind people that they keep harping on about 'free education'?

My education cost me heaps, but no one else anything ... and I always had to share the costs of educating all these academic's and uni degreed people.

That these fools think I should keep on paying for an education for anybody that they say is 'free' is ludicrous.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 June 2014 1:36:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Rhrosty,

<<One can teach themselves from books and attending STOLEN lectures!? >>

When there's a will - there's a way.

This is the story of Hillel's first steps: http://jewishspectacles.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/hillel-on-the-roof/

Hillel then continued to study and teach, lived to the age of 120 and came to be known as "The Elder". He expounded what is now known as the Golden Rule and scholars believe Jesus to be his pupil.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder

Most university courses today allow free listeners (excluding usage of laboratories and equipment). Also, there are rarely any restrictions or anything illegal about students recording/videotaping their lectures, then letting others listen/view.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 9 June 2014 1:44:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Hobarts can be exciting, & a bit easier with a fully crewed yacht.

I once averaged 14 knots from Ballina to Fosrter single handed. That became less fun after a while. I came out of Ballina into a 10 knot north easter one afternoon heading for Port Stephens. In the lovely conditions I pulled up a 1500 square foot kite, expecting the nor'easter to die at dusk as usual.

It actually built all night to around 25 knots, & I was doubtful if I could get the kite down in one piece single handed. I spent the night surfing down waves surrounded by phosphorescence. It was pretty spectacular. My brilliant Fischer linkage self steering system held her almost all the way.

Just after dawn, off Forster the radio told me a 70 knot southerly buster was coming up the coast, & I didn't have time to get to Port Stephens. I wanted to go into Forster, but did not know if the bar was deep enough. When I saw a trawler heading that way I took my chance.

I undid the stopper knots in the halyard & the brace, & let both go. The kite landed in the ocean to leeward, now attached only by the sheet, & the boat slowed dramatically. I pulled the thing in over the stern, dumping the soggy mess in the cockpit.

The Trawler confirmed enough water, & advised me to follow him. When he found I could only do 5 knots under power, he threw me a line & towed me the 6 or 7 miles in, & allowed me to tie up alongside him.

A couple of hours later, I walked out & saw the sea the southerly had built up, that I would have been belting into, & was extremely grateful to that trawler skipper.

Just as well I'm wealthy & educated, or I could never have done it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 June 2014 1:53:26 PM
These tales of sailing takes me back to my own days sailing up the east Coast to the Whitsundays and further afield from Sydney on several occasions with similar experiences. I also crewed on South Passage the Queensland sail training vessel as a volunteer Watch Leader. We took 24 school kids out on up to a 4 day voyages to teach them the fundamentals of sailing a 100ft gaff rigged schooner. No winches. Everything was hauled and sweated by hand and it was satisfying for us as instructors and them as crew, to see them develop a rhythm and knowledge when working as a team in hoisting sail, going about, reefing and taking the helm etc together with some elements of coastal navigation.

It makes me realise what an excellent training ground ocean sailing makes for youngsters. It gives a sense of achievement, responsibility for other crew members, character building, sense of adventure, team building, confidence, fitness, respect for the environment, self sufficiency… so many things and all that stuff that can be taken into every day life. Something I think is missing in youngsters these days who lack the discipline to go out and do things for themselves and not expect someone else to do it for them.
Posted by snake, Monday, 9 June 2014 2:36:57 PM
Hi imajulianutter. One of the products I used to produce included a small heat exchanger. A simple glass filled nylon 66 housing & a copper innards, it was so efficient many people wanted just the heat exchanger for other applications.

I took a couple to the engineering faculty of the Queensland University of Technology to get an authenticated coefficient of transfer capacity on the thing.

They were raving, they had never seen anything with better than 14% of the capacity of this thing.

You won't be surprised to learn it was developed by a wheat farmer from Jandowae, with just a good old fashioned high school education. He developed the thing because his wife wouldn't go fishing with him on Frazer island, unless he could provide a reliable hot shower.

He used the thing to transfer waste heat from his utes cooling system to showering water. He is still marketing the thing in retirement.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 June 2014 2:45:14 PM
South Passage hasn't changed and things are still done the South Passage way but now is chock a block with 'timmy knockees'.

Hasbeen but the question is did you catch anything when you fished?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 June 2014 8:51:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy