The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wealthy will get a cheaper education > Comments

The wealthy will get a cheaper education : Comments

By Allison Orr, published 6/6/2014

An engineering degree, the degree my father did for free, will cost as much as $119,000.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
rehctub

why don't they do as I've done? I see quite a few youngsters doing what I've done.
Pick a niche, where people won't work. Work hard and devise systems that take out inefficiency then employ people over award to do this now easier work.
Make some money and invest it back into things that make the work even more efficient.

Quite simply really. Just be smarter than all those fools in secure jobs who just keep asking how you can make money where they can't.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 5:50:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm probably not going to buy into the education debate because besides thinking most of you are talking rot why interrupt some great sailing yarns with mundane politics, even if they do involve the future of our country.

One of my best memories of sailing a yacht under spinnaker was in our Adams 10 going back at least 2 decades.

The four of us were taking it to Melbourne for a Cock of the Bay race the next morning. Sailing out of a pretty protected port we debated whether or not to fly the kite. It was touch and go with gusts tickling 20 knots, but fortune favouring the brave and the foolhardy saw us throw it up. By the time we hit the main channel it was 25 gusting 30-35. Lines as tight as piano wire and only just in control we hooted and hollered for an hour surfing down swells with the bow wave rooster tailing 2-3 metres above the deck level.

Then it got a little pear shaped. Anyone who knows the Adams 10 will recall just how thin nosed the sucker is. Great for racing but with the inclination to trip, violently. We had a brief swerve that showed the whites of everyone's eyes but after a brief confab it was decided we were having too much fun to stop besides which we weren't sure we could get the darn thing down without mayhem. So we piled everyone behind the traveller which in an Adams is about a meter from the stern just to try and keep the nose out of the water and went for it. The log maxed out at 18 knots and the needle spent a fair proportion of the next couple of hours slammed tight against the pin. Pure adrenaline pumping delight.

Cont'
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 7:03:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont'

Then it happened, bow dug in slamming us hard over. I remember holding on to a life line and being completely clear of a vertical deck. Spinnaker, main and boom all in the water. Pandemonium! One over the side hanging on for grim death, a few knocks and cuts and shocked faces. Being the yacht she was she righted herself but we had lost all sense of how wild the weather was and there were some pretty desperate lunges for sheets and halyards before we were back in some semblance of order. We had had our whiskers trimmed and battened down for the final hour in.

I have spent a lot of time on keel boats both racing and cruising but this was a stand out. Probably not the kindest way to treat a vessel but in the case of the Adams 10, with those greyhound lines, it is hard to think she didn't get a real kick out having the shackles off.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 7:04:28 PM
I envy you that experience SteeleRedux.

Yachties will understand that "waterline" is almost everything as far as speed is concerned unless you are surfing. Unfortunately my Pugh designed Moon Wind 32 built in steel was too "lumpy" and light and never managed more than 5 to 6 knots maximum even in 25 on a broad reach. Not built for speed, but she would take everything the sea could throw at her, so I always felt safe.

No more stories. It'll bore everyone else !
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 7:53:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy