The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Adelaide – heaps indifferent! (Part one) > Comments

Adelaide – heaps indifferent! (Part one) : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 13/5/2014

What are we going to do about a girl called Adelaide?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A perfect description of the Adelaide I have come to know from visiting a relative and their family who live there.

I don't see Adelaide and South Australia (and Tasmania for that matter) changing anything while Australia has the ruling elites that it currently has. I include here the politicians, the bureaucrats and the lobby groups. What is required is a vision (in fact any vision) and then the determination to drive and get there.

Right now the elites are saying that "we" (as a nation) can't do anything or develop anything. Only the private system can develop. But they only build where they can see a profit for themselves not for the community as a whole. So in the current mindset, SA and Adelaide are on a train. Yes a slow one that is already breaking up in a wreck.

Between the elites who can't dream of a Snowy Mountain scheme, Ord River Scheme or a Sydney Harbour Bridge (especially the scale that was built) and NIMBYS who oppose any specific proposal because it is over their back fence or threatens the last 2 pairs of frog-foot dinosaur, it is now impossible to actually dream, develop and build anything of significance in Australia.

Regards
Dkit
Posted by dkit, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 8:28:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And you would prefer a traffic choked concrete jungle like Brisbane has become perhaps?
Leave it alone, it is great as it is.
A well kept secret and a very livable city.
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 8:53:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed, Ateday,

It seems that the author is envious of those who are not as deeply bogged down in the global rat-race.

http://endofthegame.net/2012/04/20/zen-story-the-tiger-and-the-strawberry/
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 9:19:33 AM
We live in Cagayan de Oro City in northern Mindanao, but when I used to live in Adelaide from 1983-1994, the comparison couldn't be starker.
CDOC is a city of about 700,000, compared to Adelaide's of over a million, but the streets here are choked with traffic, the pedestrian crossings are mostly ignored - except for Divisoria - and despite a Clean Air Act, the blackbelching jeepneys are a constant source of visible daily pollution.

A new airport was opened last year, but when it rains, planes can't land because it still hasn't got ILS fitted in. And its runway is too short, and terminal already overcrowded. Compared to Changi, it's not even in the race.

But my son was most impressed with Adelaide's airport - clean, spacious, scenic, and easily accessible. Just like the well planned roads, but from me, personally, Portrush Rd could do with some widening and quieting and more trees.

One city works well, the other barely; why? good planning, good governance, and good roads.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 9:36:47 AM
The big difference SHRODE is that your city can't stick it's hand out for billions of dollars every year from those who live & WORK in those bustling cities ateday denigrates.

Sooner or later the rest of Oz is going to get sick of seeing their hard earned money wasted in propping up the waste of space that Adelaide, & indeed South Australia & Tasmania have become.

AS we run into so many problems maintaining our standard of living, even in our prosperous states, we will not have the luxury of supporting these dynasore states. When they have to pay their own way, the picture may not be so rosy.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 12:19:38 PM
Hasbeen has hit the nail on the head. I wasn't writing about bike paths, parklands or urban design. The article is about whether SA is financial. It's not. What effects will this have on young people? How will it fund local government services? It's an attack on short term planning and 'do nothingism'.
Posted by Malcolm 'Paddy' King, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 1:33:17 PM
When a talented footballer loses everything due to gambling the usual advice is 'stick to what you're good at'. Well SA has more uranium than any comparable province in the world. You'd think they would flog that advantage to the max. They are crying out for something to replace Holden and in case the Sub Corp doesn't get new work. Why not build a nuclear complex with baseload electricity, uranium enrichment and perhaps cheap desalination?

Instead SA slides towards the edge of the cliff waiting to be bailed out by Canberra. Even the water they can get from the main river is controlled by Canberra. The Feds may take away their wind power subsidies and have already allowed their main gas supply to be diverted to Qld. As an ex SA person now Tas the difference is that SA has more young people needing future jobs. I think those holding SA back are middle aged greenies including the premier Weatherill. Time for a shakeout.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 3:03:01 PM
So true Taswegian, & at the same time Tasmania has a huge wealth standing cellulose reinforced lignin, a really great building material called wood by most. Not only does it have heaps of the stuff, it has a climate ideal to grow lots more, once the way is cleared by harvesting some of what they already have.

Tasmania could generate great wealth in paper, fine furniture, & building materials.

With the ordinary people getting sick of being beggars so a minority can worship at the foot of the cellulose god, they have elected a government that just might make the state self sufficient.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 May 2014 4:52:35 PM
The funds necessary to keep a community running don't necessarily have to be generated within that community, or at that time. One characteristic of modern life is that people are mobile -- the elderly in particular. We know that self-funded retirees retire from NSW and Victoria to the Gold Coast, for instance, providing wealth that makes a large and active community there viable. I wonder if the same is happening in Adelaide?
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 7:17:34 AM
You've got to be kidding Jon. Why would anyone retire to Adelaide, it must have one of the worst climates in Oz.

Freezing one day, & boiling the next.

I once raced a Brabham, [open wheeler] at Mallala. On the Friday we were freezing, & had to find a shop to buy more warm clothes. On the Sunday it was so hot that patches of the track melted.

I had to throw my visor away, as be couldn't get all the bits of bitumen off it.

Why on earth anyone would want retire to a place like that I really can't imagine.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 12:49:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy