The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine: historical amnesia causes Kerry's downfall > Comments

Palestine: historical amnesia causes Kerry's downfall : Comments

By David Singer, published 16/4/2014

Kerry needs to come clean and put all the drafts of his framework agreement and the objections raised by Israel and the PLO into the public arena.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
David, I am puzzled. If there were no useful new committments, why must Kerry announce ANYTHING except out of a masochistic aim to provide ammunition for critics?

However I thank you for reiterating some of the history that people make a habit of forgetting or ignoring.

Its quite an experience being in Muslim countries and experiencing their refusal to look reality in the face. History there is basically invented to make themselves seem good, when they deliberately created the Palestinian refugee problem to pressure Israel after their first illegal war failed.
Posted by ChrisPer, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 12:42:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David

I've gotta say that Kerry has proven a disappointment on almost all issues including Israel, Syria and now Russia-Crimea-Ukraine. Kerry represents a US that is increasingly seen a indecisive and gradually weakening. Hillary Clinton and before that Rice did a better job.

Kerry, of course, is not alone, but represents foreign policy interests of Obama's administration. That administration has such characteristics as being liberal and intelligent but also lightweight, non-confrontational to the point of being weak in the face of authoritarian challenges. Challenges are coming from Russia, China, and of more direct relevance to Israel from Saudi Arabia, Syria, Pakistan and Iran.

The US-Kerry is not only pandering to the PLO but also the PLO's backers and financiers, which are again Saudi Arabia and also the UAE. In that sense the US's need for long term energy security is a constant background influence on US decision making with regard to the more public and constant Israel-PLO disagreement.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 3:09:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
#ChrisPer

Kerry prolonged the current negotiations by promising that he would present his own framework agreement for peace on 29 January. This was subsequently postponed till 21 February then indefinitely postponed again until "before the end of April." - the deadline set by Kerry himself for the successful conclusion of the nine month negotiating period stipulated by Kerry in July 2013.

Kerry's huff, puff and bluff was exposed as a lot of hot air without substance.

Kerry needs to now come clean and publish his drafts and the objections raised by both Israel and the PLO.

If Kerry was conniving to circumvent the commitments made by President George Bush and the Congress to Israel - as specifically detailed in my article - then Kerry needs to be condemned to the diplomatic graveyard.

If however he was remaining true to those commitments then he would ensure that his diplomatic reputation and prestige would be preserved - not trashed.

Given the problems America faces in dealing with political crises in places like Syria and Ukraine - Kerry needs to prove himself to be prepared to fearlessly uphold the commitments made by the US to other countries or allies and not abandon them at the first sign of resistance by those who he is now seeking to influence.

Appeasement is the quickest route to disaster - as history makes so clear.
Posted by david singer, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 3:32:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Same old singer, same old song, and almost as boring as bat poo!
Look,the middle East is really left with just two stark choices. Tie up the dogs of war, or just let them loose!
Israel, will fire every shot in the locker, before it allows Iran to posses nuclear weapons, let alone, God forbid, use them.
To that end, it becomes an increasing imperative for Israel alone, to finally agree on a long term solution, finally determined and fixed borders, and a two state solution!
If only to end the commercial boycotts and or, keep the few friends it has left, and who are also, extremely worried by the possibility of a nuclear armed Iran!
My enemy's enemy is also my friend!
Conversely and far more importantly, my enemy's friends, are also my enemies!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 4:38:18 PM
Rrrrrrosty contributes another gem of advice: "Look,the middle East is really left with just two stark choices. Tie up the dogs of war, or just let them loose!"

Given that Israel is nuclear-armed we would have WW3 on our hands and the American armament industries would go gangbusters.

Of course, in a capitalist world, this is seen as being ideal. Yeah, the war might spread across the world and make the rich 1% even richer.

Anyone who supports war is clearly brain-dead. Anyone who supports the USA is a moral cretin.
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 5:42:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You Davids should really kiss and make up one day!

:)

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 7:02:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy