The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tide of public opinion to be taken by Queensland ALP > Comments

Tide of public opinion to be taken by Queensland ALP : Comments

By Graham Young, published 5/3/2014

The plan is to parachute Cameron Dick into Woodridge, and this makes it not impossible that Newman's could be a one-term government.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sportsbet currently shows the LNP as firm favourites at 1.20 to 1, and Labor as an outsider at 3.5 to 1. When that shifts a bit I'll start to believe Labor has a chance.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 5:22:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was under the impression that the Newman Government would make the workers' battle a little easier. I was led to believe registration fees would not go up but they did. I think Newman's already committed political suicide. He's simply not listening to the people who voted Labor out because they were so bad, now he's doing exactly the same. Huge disappointment really. For all our sake I hope he'll start taking some advise from his own people rather that the ALP cronies who are still heading departments.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 7:07:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can Newman have any chance of personal reelection?

He stood in a previously safe labor seat, & required over 7% swing to get elected. Even if the LNP vote stands up well, I doubt he can expect to hold a "Labor" seat.

I think the LNP has been shocked, & stung into less action than planned by the real mess they found. I think it is much worse than they expected, & are floundering a bit as their preconceived plan is not up to the job required.

I think many people are forgetting how bad the other lot had got. How many remember the health payroll fiasco?

God help us if Labor & their hand maidens get back into power, state or federal, within the next decade. We need to encourage Tony & Newman to get the big knife out, & slash all the excesses, & get things tidied up now. They have about another 4 years to get it done, or the current mess will be the good old days, compared to where we will be.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 10:41:04 PM
I totally agree with Hasbeen's comments. My concern is with Newman's hitting those who can least afford it hardest. Why are so many former ALP appointed incompetents still in their positions when they so clearly do nothing but waste time & money & will never support any reform,
Posted by individual, Thursday, 6 March 2014 6:26:18 AM
As normal practice in the ranks of the nationals they are to far to the right, and that means the little man pays for everybody. It brings them unstuck every time.
Big Business only gets one vote, and they are grossly outnumbered if they upset the worker.
Saying labor workers still in positions is clutching at straws.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 6 March 2014 8:15:52 AM
You do remember James O'Neill, that Bjelke Petersen had merely picked up the gerrymander that Labor had put in place.

Never too bright, or ones to think ahead, Labor had set up the gerrymander when the farming districts had a high population of farm labour.

Heavy farm equipment meant that labor was no longer required in farming, & those electorates turned from safe Labor to safe Country Party.

I always enjoy watching a crook caught by their own stupidity. Watching labor suffer from it's own confidence trick all those years, was even better.

Old Joh may have been a bit of a reprobate, but he was so much better for Queensland than anything that has come after him, that there is just no comparison.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 6 March 2014 11:14:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy