The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Neknominating: why it's here and how to end it > Comments

Neknominating: why it's here and how to end it : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 17/2/2014

A 20 year-old London man has become the latest victim of 'neknomination', a dangerous trend which combines extreme drinking with social media exposure to threaten the lives of young adults and teenagers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Evolution in action.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 17 February 2014 8:45:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh dear.

>>So, what can be done about neknomination? Some will argue that governments hold the key to the problem.<<

Sadly, the "some" are so often a bunch of rent-seekers who are just looking for a way to extract money from the misfortunes of others. Necessarily, this will involve getting "government" to invest in "finding a solution to the problem".

A pox on the lot of them.

Kids do stupid thing to impress their mates. Always have, always will. It's part of growing up, and those with a level of intelligence that is beneficial to the next generation (Darwin Awards, anyone?), will survive. End of story.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 17 February 2014 9:35:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Pericles, let the Darwin principal apply. The last thing we should do is waste money on these fools, or the psychology graduates looking for a gravy train to fund their lives.

All we need is somewhere where the fools can go to kill themselves, which does not endanger the public. The public has spent enough for these twits, caring for & educating them to adult age.

That some are a total failure is because of lousy genes. We should definitely not waste even more money keeping them alive to breed. That way lies the production of even more faulty genes.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 17 February 2014 11:31:52 AM
As the Emperor infers it keeps their genes out of the pool.
Posted by ateday, Monday, 17 February 2014 12:52:38 PM
That's where Western culture leads.

Thread after thread here panics about the threat of Muslim culture:
Of course not all is well in that masculine-dominated society, but in different ways, the Western culture is no better.
While Muslims suffer many social woes, at least this is not one of them.

Once God is out, what is there to live for?
Once God is out, all daemons are in.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 17 February 2014 1:03:10 PM
Well that's comforting at least, Yuyutsu.

>>Once God is out, all daemons are in.<<

According to that treasury of useful factoids, Wikipedia...

"Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves (see Plato's Symposium)".

Nice to know they are in the wings, so to speak, ready to step into the breach...
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 17 February 2014 1:27:10 PM
I note the author of this piece, a Mr Mal Fletcher is described as a:-

'...media social futurist and commentator, key note speaker, author, business leadership consultant, and broadcaster, currently based in London. He holds joint Australian and British citizenship...'

That's all very nice for him indeed. However what actually does this gentleman do for a living ? His 'media social futurist' bit, kinda knocks me out I reckon ? His credentials and intelligence seem far superior to me I'm afraid ? Makes me wonder whether or not we're educating our kids in any of the highly necessary and useful trades, like carpentry, of fitting & turning or similar ?

"...Oh she's right mate, my young bloke is a fully qualified media social futurist and commentator..."
"...can't hammer a nail, but he's sure one hell of a media social futurist though..." !

God help us !
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 17 February 2014 1:45:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...“Necknomnia” (my inflection), is a media beat-up. I first discovered its’ presence on a FB diligently advertised by (appropriately) “Yahoo” Seven News: In it I discovered a grand posting of three alcoholics, all doing what alcoholics do best, drinking to excess!

...I replied to them all with Fatherly advice, but all my well-intentioned comment was deleted promptly. So I now know that as alcoholics are, advice is not something they petition for, since the reasoning apparatus has long-ago defaulted into froth and bubble!

...What we witness (simply), with the “Necknomanic” crowd, is a collection of alcoholic no-hopers beating themselves up on social media (eg; FB) for public amusement! Sympathy?…not from this little black duck!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 17 February 2014 4:40:48 PM
That's what the Darwin awards are for.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 18 February 2014 11:21:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy