The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The man who kept darkness at bay > Comments

The man who kept darkness at bay : Comments

By Tom Clifford, published 10/12/2013

If not for Mandela, what might have been the consequences of the assassination of Chris Hani?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A great article. So heartfelt.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 10 December 2013 2:13:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I really enjoyed reading this. I don't have anything to offer here apart from my appreciation, but I thought I'd offer that anyway.
Posted by Otokonoko, Tuesday, 10 December 2013 2:32:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is the kind of article which rises head and shoulders above the vast bulk of OLO publications which are all too often, dare I say it, simply boring.

Combined with Lyn's article on retirement homes and the topical one by Liang Nah, it is a watershed moment on OLO.

Look, I accept that not everyone can write. Some people think that just stringing words together is all that is necessary. How wrong they are.

I feel sorry for Graham sometimes when I look at what he is forced to use because the gems are all too few. But no matter, he does his best with what he gets.

Perhaps if he used more articles from overseas, it might help broaden the scope of OLO, open the doors to more areas and different thoughts. But that may incur costs although ICH may allow free publication of its excellent items.

Well done, Graham!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 10 December 2013 4:43:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
it was a nice piece
but where was the peacemaker..re the..other apartheid/state
the one we never talk..of..but heck..world peace..now that would honour him..better..than any words..
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=mandela+arafat

keeping darkness at bay
dont/mean..the darkness has gone away
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 10 December 2013 5:26:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Same as Otokonoko, I don't have anything to offer here apart from my appreciation.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 11 December 2013 2:13:20 PM
lest we forget..the mythmakers
the 90,000..seat's funeral..[capacity]..was only 2/3 rds full

its said..people vote with..their feet..so all aint cosha
ie myth makers..doing their thing

<<..They infest world governments. They run America. They inflict enormous harm. Mandela exceeded the worst of South African apartheid injustice. He deserves condemnation, not praise.

White supremacy remains entrenched. Extreme poverty, unemployment, homelessness, hunger, malnutrition, and lack of basic services for black South Africans are at shockingly high levels. They’re much worse than under apartheid.

Mandela embraced the worst of neoliberal harshness. His successors followed the same model. They still do.

They’re stooges for predatory capitalist injustice. They’re figureheads. They enforce white supremacist dominance. They betray their own people in the process.

Black South Africans are some of the world’s most abused, neglected and deprived people anywhere. They suffer out of sight and mind.

Mandela could have changed things. He never tried. He didn’t care. He sold out to wealth, power and privileged interests. He did so shamelessly. His life ended unapologetically.

South African conditions today remain deplorable. Neoliberal harshness works this way. Business as usual is policy. Disadvantaged millions are ruthlessly exploited.

Privileged interests alone are served. Doing so reflects financial, economic and political terrorism. It’s commonplace globally. It infects Western societies. It plagues South Africa.

Injustice is deep-seated. It’s nightmarish in South Africa. Mandela’s legacy reflects the worst of all possible worlds short of war, mass slaughter and destruction.

Free market mumbo jumbo inflicts enormous pain and suffering. It empowers corporate interests. It benefits privileged elites. It does so at the expense of deprived millions.

Ordinary people don’t matter. They suffer out of sight and mind. They do so horrifically in South Africa. Major media ignore it. Mandela praise continues.

Former New York Times executive editor Bill Keller headlined “Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s Liberator as Prisoner and President, Dies at 95.”

Mandela was more enslaver than liberator...Not according to Keller. He called him “an international emblem of dignity and forbearance.”>>

http://rinf.com/alt-news/editorials/mandela-eulogies-reinventing-his-disturbing-legacy/

i..think..a man..is known..by his mates
but/then..thats..only..the myth-makers
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 11 December 2013 2:48:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy