The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does Government 'meddle' with business? > Comments

Does Government 'meddle' with business? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 3/12/2013

Drive your harvester over to the car industry: I can't think of a time when Australian governments have not been deeply involved in its details.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Of course industry asks for taxpayer handouts; but that doesn’t mean that they should get them.

And, of course, Don Aitken is right: “On the face of it, there's not much difference in all this, whoever is in power.”

The taxpayers whose money Australian politicians throw around with gay abandon have no say in how their money is spent (wasted). It is the well heeled lobbyists, operating in the murky depths of politics who get all the say. The rest of us get one lousy vote every 3 years. Then we have only a choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and things carry on much the same as they did for another 3 years.

However, the lobbyists get down and dirty with whichever mob of self-servers is in government – they don’t care whether it is Tweedledum or Tweedledee because they generally get what they want from both mobs.

Once again the answer to this is fresh, ethical politicians replacing what we have now, and a short, sharp goodbye to lobbyists
Posted by NeverTrustPoliticians, Tuesday, 3 December 2013 9:52:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As Lt Colonel Kilgore almost said...

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Rentseekers, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of vested interests in the morning. You know, one time we had industries, for 12 decades. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' business. The smell, you know that rentseeking lobbying smell, the whole Canberra thing. Smelled like... other people's money."

One day, we might come to realize that most government intervention in business is nothing more than a form of institutionalized corruption.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 3 December 2013 12:44:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So long as car makers receive subsidies, they will continue not asking the ordinary people what type of cars they want, then wonder of wonders that only a few buy Australian-made cars.

I will be happy to pay a premium price on a car that is new in make, but old in model. Good old straight-forward, lasts for 25+ years, easy to maintain, manual, reliable car, as they made them in the 1970's and 1980's without all those stinking electronic parts they put in them today.

Will they listen?

Not so long as they produce their cars to suit the government's ideology of producing shiny, low-quality gadgets that don't last long, so they must be purchased again and again and can only be maintained in those places that collude with government.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 3 December 2013 3:10:20 PM
Since when did Qantas lose so much international business?
Are there not numerous new aircraft on order (at a time like this)?
Sounds like better management is required.

I think Holden could dish up more hot looking models.
Maybe Suzuki type permanent 4WD for Aus terrain as well as a hot body. The new Land Rover looks really good.

Then get rid of the high and up and down but usually upward interest rates.
Car makers might do well to provide interest free leasing and just make good profit from the actual sale.

I think it amazing the finance industry feeds off the automotive industry. These days many people can not afford to support both industries.
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 3 December 2013 7:35:40 PM
It seems that Quantas is doing worse under private managment than it did under goverment. The goverment should buy it back before we loose it for good.
Posted by KarlX, Thursday, 5 December 2013 9:31:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy