The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My issue with local government > Comments

My issue with local government : Comments

By Brent Fleeton, published 23/10/2013

The more important issue we ought to be discussing is how to address the drastic overreach by local governments.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have to disagree with the objection to mandatory voting. Personally, I think it's a good idea. I know others don't, but so far no one has offered me a good enough reason to change my mind
But I really like the idea of limiting Council rate increases to the CPI index.
As for the overreach of local government, the current big issue where I live is Council allowing their Rangers to issue fines of $576 for failure to show ID.
As this most often falls on the youth (especially skateboarders whose fine for skateboarding in the CBD is only $144) and those who are on the dole, the fine is exorbitant. I can only see it as a revenue generating measure as well as a method of control by Council officers who are seriously out of touch with the electorate who are asked to pay them quite handsome annual salaries.
There was a time when I was a champion of local government. Maybe not so much any longer.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 8:24:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well done, Brent. My only objection is that you don't go far enough. When Paul Keating described the Senate as 'unrepresentative swill', he could have been talking about local government. Each year, we are asked, actually required in Victoria, to vote for people we've never heard of, who hide their affiliations with or membership of political parties and pretend to be community members.

My solution? Dismiss this travesty of democracy; remove local councils altogether; and make local management part of the broader responsibility of the state government. At leat this way, we'll know who to blame when things go wrong and we're less likely to be forced to pay for idiocies like the employment of a white witch as a change manager and dozens of people wandering round our streets counting smiles, both of which happened in my local area while our rates rocket ever upwards.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 8:38:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brett,

Thanks for the interesting article.

Here is the way,

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/huckabee/index.html#/v/4673482/secrets-to-90-year-old-mayors-success/?playlist_id=86920

Just one thing, would you mind not referring to voters as 'punters'? Thanks again.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 9:20:16 AM
I remember reading about one of the early cities in the central USA that, at its formation and constitution, had power given to it by the state to be recognized as a city-state. This was in the 1800's in Illinois. I wonder whether something similar would be more appropriate today?

Instead of removing local councils, as they are the most effective at the local things (roads, rubbish, lawns) why not remove the states? Why not have city "states" and then split the current states power between the commonwealth and the cities?
Posted by RandomGuy, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 9:23:12 AM
Brent, I don’t think your argument is as clear-cut as you make out.

Sure, we want government to be efficient and not misspend taxpayers’ money. But the same problem exists for all tiers.

Local government SHOULD have a wider role than just << fixing roads, mowing lawns and disposing of garbage >>. http://walga.asn.au/AboutLocalGovernment.aspx

They SHOULD be involved with long-term planning and sustainability. And the hiring of consultants to advise them on the right strategies is not an unreasonable use of ratepayers’ money.

Don’t local residents general want their local government to be involved in a wide range of matters?

Wouldn’t they prefer this rather than having decisions over all manner of things largely dictated from afar by the state or federal government?
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 9:33:47 AM
author/quote..<<..please don't forget the annual contributions local governments pay to groups like WALGA and ALGA...These two lobby groups spent..millions of dollars of ratepayers'..funds>>>

curious..please explain
who asre these corporations sucking away our life blood?

i hear many..local councils have sold..ownership..of the basic things..like sewers[then..;lease;..it back..at a huge burden..on tax payer[house holder]

council..got some upfront cash[for its other mate-obligation
plus an enron clause..of full repayment..for ANY default

its win win..
corporation..owns the pipes/rail/tolls.
poles/wires/lines fine/revenue-raising.property rights..etc..etc etc..

<<.. on a political advertising campaign..for something which never occurred,..>>

basic redirection
its all..about perception..[and how to man the booths
thats where sport associations..get billion-dollar stadium../free bowling greens..golf club..and private schools..[your too innocent..and too..hoinest

but you..must comprehend some..basics
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cec+money+creation+nat+bank

but still the exploiters..<<won't give the funds back to ratepayers. Hashtag integrity.>>

hash tag..lol
#what-ever-that-meam/means..
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 23 October 2013 9:52:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy