The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why bad movies keep coming out and what to do about it > Comments

Why bad movies keep coming out and what to do about it : Comments

By John Pilger, published 18/10/2013

There is a cinema I go to that refunds your money if you're out the door within 20 minutes of the opening titles. The people there have knowing looks. My personal best is less than five minutes of the awful Moulin Rouge.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
He answered it, walk out, next question? We don't need some mad hand wringer angst fest.
Posted by McCackie, Friday, 18 October 2013 7:17:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pilger could only like films which are bout "the struggle" against capitalism and inequality. He would have stayed for the entire Battleship Potemkin, I'm sure, and happily goose stepped his way out of the cinema.
Posted by Atman, Friday, 18 October 2013 10:38:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would gladly pay twelve dollars to rid my establishment of John Pilger, and consider it money well spent. Perhaps we could ask him how much he would take to leave this website.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 18 October 2013 10:57:19 AM
I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was ok in the latest Star Trek movie, Into Darkness.

Cumberbatch, who has the best name in movies, was only an ok Sherlock, too weird and not suave enough. Robert Stephens is the best although Basil remains the template.

Actually Pilger has the physical appearance of a Holmes; maybe he should do a movie about Sherlock and the mystery of no evidence to support AGW.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 18 October 2013 11:19:48 AM
I'm seeing Blue Jasmine next week - heartened by Pilger's pilgerizing of it.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 18 October 2013 1:50:03 PM
I stopped going to Woody Allen films a long time ago. (In fact, I stopped going to ANY movies a long time ago, as about 95% of them are by, for and about men – which inversely corresponds to the fact that only about 5% of all films are made by women.)

His plots are basically all the same: Narcissistic men marry narcissistic women, get older and more narcissistic, then dump their narcissistic wives to run off with narcissistic pre-schoolers. Or, conversely, a narcissistic pre-schooler (played by the current in-demand nubile starlet) is on the make for a narcissistic man who will inevitably dump her too. And these narcissistic characters all seem to be awfully urbane and talk a lot and give Oscar-nominating performances and seem to have lots of money to keep their narcissism well nourished.

My only query is: Why on earth is John Pilger bothering to go and see Allen's movies, even if he does leave after 5 minutes?
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 18 October 2013 4:50:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy