The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why bad movies keep coming out and what to do about it > Comments

Why bad movies keep coming out and what to do about it : Comments

By John Pilger, published 18/10/2013

There is a cinema I go to that refunds your money if you're out the door within 20 minutes of the opening titles. The people there have knowing looks. My personal best is less than five minutes of the awful Moulin Rouge.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Pilger's observation re the generally poor quality of Hollywood movies is correct, with regard to movies for both children and grown-ups. There was nothing on last school holidays for me to take my teenager to. My favourite movies are Dersu Uzala by the incomparable Japanese director Akira Kurosawa and Snow falling on Cedars. However I saw Gravity last week and that is definitely better than the usual Hollywood stuff - worth going to see. As for TV, go to IMdb for top list of TV series eg The Wire, Rome etc and buy some of them - that will get you through those times there is nothing on the box to watch. Hint: put the subtitling on for The Wire, the Baltimore accents and slang can otherwise be hard to follow. I am not into crime shows but was so into The Wire as it is so much more than a police procedural.
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 20 October 2013 1:45:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPQR,

Yes, anything with Ashley Judd, or Mary-Louise Parker. The final series of "Weeds" will be required summer viewing and Series 2 of "Game of Thrones", also the French series "Spiral"

Jonhj,

Agreed, good quality TV series are usually far more engaging than movies. "Rome" is a great series, even though somewhat truncated.

LEGO,

Most very,very, old but still more entertaining than most modern films, some are better remembered than revisited, of course.

"The Searchers", "The Forbidden Planet" (scariest monster ever) "Seven Samurai", "Gallipoli" and "The Life of Brian".
Posted by mac, Sunday, 20 October 2013 2:29:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The Island" would be the most appropriate movie to watch for some do-gooder posters.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 20 October 2013 4:38:46 PM
Individual, what film/s would you recommend for the do-bad posters?
Posted by Candide, Sunday, 20 October 2013 5:35:37 PM
Whether films are good or bad, old or new, they exist mainly to keep preaching the same old political sermons:

- Good violence always wins over bad violence.

- The wealthy are beautiful, glamorous, powerful and lead amazing lives that cheer up our humdrum existence.

- The poor are pitiful losers and criminals and they become poor because they make bad choices and have lousy impulse control.

- Men are much better at everything and much more interesting than women are (except at being naked) and they keep women and children safe from serial killers, rapists and pedophiles.

- There must be at least one movie released per month about the Holocaust, WWII and/or evil Muslims (or current enemy du jour) and they must always be part of the line-up for Oscar nominations.

Some films and TV series are much better than others at preaching these sermons – depends on the budget and the creative team’s talents.

For what it's worth, my favourite films would be Sunset Boulevarde, I Walked with a Zombie and Clueless. Favourite TV series of the last few years – Dance Academy, Game of Thrones, Miss Fisher Mysteries and Cold Case.
Posted by Killarney, Sunday, 20 October 2013 6:45:05 PM
Individual, what film/s would you recommend for the do-bad posters?
Candide,
The same because those who go about doing good are the ones doing so much damage.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 20 October 2013 7:10:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy