The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Finding separation of church and state for New Zealand > Comments

Finding separation of church and state for New Zealand : Comments

By Max Wallace and Meg Wallace, published 30/9/2013

So, what should New Zealand do? The likely answer can be found in another former British colony, not so far away: Fiji.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I suppose some will say now that same sex marriage is written deep into New Zealand's DNA that there's not really a place for Christianity over there. If it can get something as simple as marriage so wrong, how can it be trusted on other things.
Posted by progressive pat, Monday, 30 September 2013 9:54:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An excellent article. I sincerely hope the New Zealanders embrace the Fijian model in its entirety. Perhaps this sensible approach to religion is why the Australian media only tell us about political instability and the not so good things about Fiji?
Progressive Pat... what's your problem? Obsessing about marriage when the topic is one of the most important that affects our freedoms. The tax avoided by religious corporations amounts to several billions of dollars annually. Religious schools that are supported by tax payers at the expense of State schools, are breeding division, intolerance and social unrest.
I wish Australia would follow Fiji, but it's too late, I fear. We are a virtual theocracy.
Posted by ybgirp, Monday, 30 September 2013 10:36:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you to the authors for their attempt. As always, I don't think it deliberate (more of a blindspot) - the definition of religion is ignored. Clearly there is no such existing thing as 'religion' in the abstract, there are *particular* religions which make contradictory claims about what it means to be human, what is the good life, how I must pursue it etc. The authors' *metaphysics take the same form* just lack the transcendent. The issue as always is, for what reason (there may be good ones) does this supra-religion - a standing above all metaphysical position and ruling over them "they are all equal because I am above all and can see why and how" - should be constitutionally established.

I think this goes quite far in the popular imagination because of our strange rapidly changing times. But it would help if an argument were provided here.

60% of Australians say they are Christian and pay taxes, they'd be doubly taxed to pay again to freely associate on Sunday services to worship or pay again to school their children in their own society. That's an issue.

Deeper reflection on this issue was given by the great Remi Brague in his recent "The Impossibility of Secular Society" http://www.firstthings.com/article/2013/10/the-impossibility-of-secular-society he brings out the antinomies of democratic society
"Tocqueville noticed that aristocratic man was constantly sent back to something that is placed outside his own self, something above him. Democratic man, on the other hand, refers only to himself."

It is co-incidental that the authors flatter power, the technocratic elite who claim to be able to run things well, so thoroughly in their proposal just as their rule is faultering, fiscally, democratically and internationally - when the one who said "It is very good" and who binds consciences and checks the will of the ruthless is asked by these same people to go away permanently. I think this case the opposite is needed - law turned away from harrassing Christianity and our families and children reminded of their religious heritage.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Monday, 30 September 2013 10:46:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
. . . "fiscally, **demographically**, and internationally
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Monday, 30 September 2013 10:53:07 AM
An excellent article.
New Zealand seems to be a much more progressive country than Australia.

I hope Australia separates church and state as soon as possible.
This does not call for any banning of religion at all, but rather just taking silly prayers and references to any gods out of the political arena, where it is not warranted.

There is no suggestion of forgetting any Christian heritage etc, but rather leaving religion out of politics altogether.

"(b) the State and all persons holding public office must not dictate any religious belief;"
The very first thing that should happen is the removal of 'chaplains' from public schools, and replace them with properly trained secular psychologists and councillors.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 30 September 2013 10:57:23 AM
As long as they are writing a constitution, a bill of irrevocable rights, might not be a bad place to start?
Rights which among others, ought to enshrine the freedom of religious expression, freedom of speech, association and assembly; and "equality" before the law! Regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, colour, gender or gender bias!
And indeed, an excellent example for us yet again, to follow!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 30 September 2013 11:26:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy